1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars fast start for Linux beginners, teaches command line!, 11 April 2011
This review is from: Learn Linux Complete For A Beginner Video Training And Four Certification Exams Bundle, OpenSUSE Edition. 8-Disk DVD Set, Ed.2011 (DVD-ROM)
As far as I can remember, I was Windows user. I still remember Windows 3.1 and then "revolutionary" 95. I love easy to use technology and one of my friends introduced to me openSUSE Linux. I tried some version of Linux (not suse, something else) in 2004, and honestly, it wasn't even close to be ready for an average user. I remember been struggling installing it, things were failing apart and so on... Later I tried 11.2 with mixed results.
The new 11.4 is a completely different story. The installation was a snap. It recognized all of my hardware, runs really fast, internet is superfast. I'm very impressed with its open office. I tried "open office" under windows before, and it wasn't really great. It was "ok". Here under Linux it shines as very responsive, loads almost instantly.
After I impressed myself with opensuse I started discovering its interface, programs, GNOME and every single part of a system where I can get using GNOME (gui). I discovered very quickly that there's much more than GUI in Linux. The same friend, who introduced me to opensuse, showed terminal window, typed few commands and referenced me to use "man" pages. I was trying reading man pages, along with few free sources online and few books I borrowed from the library. After doing it for few days I realized that system is too large and complex for self-study. I needed someone who could explain things in general and in a same time teach specific real life commands. The option to join local course was too expensive. I'm not IT person and I can't justify outrageous 5 days training prices. After substantial research decided to learn with this set, and I'm glad I did.
First this set is made for a beginner. It starts from very basic subjects and commands. The explanations are clear and the lessons are relatively short, so it is much focused. The process of learning is like having a personal teacher, and in fact, the actual teacher is available via email! If you need some extra explanations or have questions you got it! The course is not for coach potatoes. You will be typing commands, research and set experiments. By the end of each part, there's a certification exam. The exams are great. Exams sum up all things and help you to capitalize on your knowledge. By the end of the course you get the actual certificates with your name on it in the mail.
I must say, that I'm impressed. In merely two weeks of self-paced training, I'm claiming to be a competent Linux user. It didn't turn me into linux guru, however I understand command line interface and feel good about all the files operations, permissions, managing processes, starting-stopping services, network operations, troubleshooting etc. I got as much training as it takes to become a competent Linux user. Talking about price, when compared to attending standard 5 days training, you get it almost for free. Beside your teacher will address your questions. When compared to books... it can't be compared. No book can talk to you and guide you on Linux as this training does. Speaking of books, this set comes with complete library of books on CD for subjects that "cannot be taught interactively". There are books for both noob and administrator. If you insist on more training, there's enough reading for few years to come. They are nice to have, and I open the pdf books from time to time, but I'm not going to read all of them.
In short, if you are serious about learning Linux, openSUSE, and don't have few grands to spend, get his set.

Used & New from: 58.95