5.0 out of 5 stars Fan from Finland loves this
Published on 27 Dec. 2010 by Hiswa

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best Sonic Screwdriver...
I've had a few Dr Who Sonic Screwdrivers from different doctors now. This one I think is perhaps the worst put together.

Don't let me put you off completely, it not terrible. I think it will last a while and after a few weeks of regular use it still looks like new, but the buttons don't work that great, it comes apart a bit too easy and the action is a bit...
Published on 4 Jan. 2012 by S. Blyth

5.0 out of 5 stars Fan from Finland loves this, 27 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Doctor Who Doctor Sonic Screwdriver (Toy)
I ordered this just a few days before Christmas for myself, and the package came to me very quickly, even thought I live in Finland. I'm a huge fan of Doctor Who, and I have to say that I love this screwdriver! It was pretty easy to install the batteries, but I had a problem with one of the screws that had to be opened to insert the batteries, it seemed to be little broken and it took me almost 5 minutes to get it off. But otherwise it has worked perfectly.

I am quite worried about the "hidden noises", thought. I've tried them and they work, but I'm not really going to use them much because I'm worried that the sound chip will burn...

But overall, this is really a must-have item for a Doctor Who (and especially series 5) fan!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Faithful And Fun Version of the On-Screen Counterpart, But Somewhat Lacking In Build Quality, 13 April 2010
Samuel Baker "Variasam2" (Leicestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who Doctor Sonic Screwdriver (Toy)
After reading all of the negative reviews for this product, I was very nearly put off buying it altogether. But, due to my undying love of the series, I couldn't resist taking the plunge.

I've been playing around with it for a couple of hours, and I must say, I'm quite impressed with it.

Upon unpacking it, I realised just how much larger this new version was compared to the previous iterations of the Sonic Screwdriver. Not that this is a bad thing, it has a much better weight and shape to it, far more suited to the human hand. It's far less likely to drop, because you'll never forget it's there. It's not pocket-sized by a longshot, which could pose a slight problem to Doctor Who obsessives that like to take their Screwdrivers around with them. But the extra size adds a certain impressiveness to it.

Now, first gripe. The Sonic Screwdriver toys have NEVER been easy to dismantle and power up. This one is no exception. In fact, it's probably the fiddliest to set up. The manual states that you must "twist the emitter one-tenth anticlockwise, then pull the emitter away from the handle". Due to its nature as a toy, I was very anxious about twisting or turning any components for fear of breaking it. But eventually I managed to get the batteries in fine. This version takes the most batteries out of them all so far, requiring 3 of those little watch batteries rather than 2.

Reassembled, I took some more time to get to grips with the Screwdriver. Now, these toys have never been of high build quality, they've mainly been 'just so'. Due to the enlarged and stretched profile of this iteration, that fact becomes far more apparent. The prongs, or 'claw' at the end of the device feel quite breakable (hence the difficulty in assembling and disassembling it), and the somewhat hollow handle feels very plastic-y. Not a major problem, but it feels less natural than its predecessors.

The tip of the device lights up with a bright green hue. Gone is the ultra-violet functionality of the original Screwdriver, but that doesn't detract from its list of features. Another feature that remains with this toy is the extendible head. However, this version is spring-locked and shoots out at a considerable velocity. I daresay it even feels quite powerful. As the device extends, the 'claw' at the end opens up, giving further prominence to the green light. Below the 'Extend' button is a switch that activates the light and signature 'whirring' sound. However, this button WILL NOT work whilst the device is extended. For when it is extended, you can either press a small black button on the battery column (which is very fiddly and probably not intended for actual use), or a 'hidden' red button at the end of the device. There is a tip on a hinge that will swing away to reveal this button. Despite this seemingly pointless design choice, it'd probably be fun for kids.

There are four different sounds this time around, all of which are unique in their own way. The activate button has a slight delay to it, thereby allowing multiple presses to utilize the different sounds. One press will emit a standard whirring noise, three presses will cause an 'alarm' sound to begin, accompanied with alternating flashes of light from the tip (presumably, this is utilized somewhere later in the New Series, but I haven't seen it). Four presses will make the device appear faulty, as if damaged (which also probably appears later in the Series). Overall, the sounds will be enough to sate a demanding Whovian, despite the delay and slightly muffled tone of some.

Mostly, I'm pretty satisfied with the Screwdriver. Despite some of its build faults and niggles, it's a genuinely fun toy to play with, regardless of how old a Whovian you are. Although I'm certain that someone will eventually have someone's eye out with the rapid Extend feature, it's a whole lot of fun. I disagree with most of the negativity associated with the Eleventh Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver, as I've encountered little to no technical issues whatsoever (although I may in the future, we'll see). But overall, a reccomended buy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect., 3 April 2011
schtocker (Buckinghamshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who Doctor Sonic Screwdriver (Toy)
I love it. It's perfect, looks like the on-screen model, works well, the spring action is good. But, I dislike how to activate it when it's claws are out you must press the button on the bottom. And that the cover over the bottom button has broken so does not stay covering the button and instead dangles. But apart from that, an excellent sonic screwdriver.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smashing!!, 3 Jan. 2011
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Doctor Who Doctor Sonic Screwdriver (Toy)
Absolutley smashing my 8yr old daughter was so chuffed when she got this for christmas, works brilliantly and does was it says on the packet! Every Doctor Who fan should have one!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Cool, 18 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Doctor Who Doctor Sonic Screwdriver (Toy)
We bought this sonic screwdriver as a replacement for my sons David Tennant one that accidently got broken. My 5 year old loves it, it has parts that move, buttons to press and makes an incredibly irritating noise, oh yeah and it lights up. A must have for Doctor Who fas of all ages!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun, 18 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Doctor Who Doctor Sonic Screwdriver (Toy)
This item was bought for my grandson. He loves it. It arrived gift wrapped and presented very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Im the Doctor, 12 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Doctor Who Doctor Sonic Screwdriver (Toy)
Over all it's good, the red button doesnt always work, you have to slightly retract the extended screwdriver in order to get it to work, It should of been made so you can also use Button A (see instructions) to activate the light even when the screwdriver is retracted, nevertheless, it's sturdy and works well

5.0 out of 5 stars IT'S AMAZING!, 2 May 2010
This review is from: Doctor Who Doctor Sonic Screwdriver (Toy)
After everyone said it was terrible, I was rather reluctant to buy it. I decided to and never looked back. The light is more powerful than the old one and the sound is more 'pure' and louder. It has 4 different sounds, all different and cool! The extension of the screwdriver is powerful and looks excellent, I even felt like making an evil laugh whilst pointing it at someone! Mine works perfectly and is a super toy. My only downfall is the 'claws' on the tip of the screwdriver are loose and if anyone knows how to fix it please tell me!!! Apart from that is superb!

5.0 out of 5 stars My dream!!, 23 April 2014
Mel R "MAR" (Gloucestershire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who Doctor Sonic Screwdriver (Toy)
Could never justify paying for a toy..I am 61!! However with Matt Smith departing I bit the bullet..I love this and my friends are even more convinced that I regress to a second childhood..WHO cares!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Why all the Criticism?, 9 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Doctor Who Doctor Sonic Screwdriver (Toy)
After reading all of the negative reviews for this product, i was unsure of whether or not it was worth the purchase. I am glad that I did since these reviews do not tell the full story. In short the only way you could break it is if you are forceful when you change the batteries, and I mean sledgehammer forceful.

Overall the workings of the product are excellent, the light works well as a torch too. My advice would be to push down the light when retracting the tip as this makes the task a lot easier.

In addition, and almost irrelevant to the product, the packaging is not the horrible shrink wrap kind you usually get with these things.

Doctor Who Doctor Sonic Screwdriver