5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Fantasy

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price
Published on 13 Aug 2011 by Katy May

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Fantasy, 19 April 2011
This review is from: Firefly Island (Kindle Edition)
That's the most amazing thing about having a Kindle, the fact that you get to discover the most fantastic authors as a result. I love to read Fantasy and I'd put this book in my top 10 of all time favourites! Without wishing to give the plot away like so many other reviews do, I'll just say if you love Fantasy, then you'll Love Firefly Island. Daniel certainly has a vivid way of describing things as he transports you into his world, and keeps you there to the very last page. Highly recommended, I read it twice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Definately an epic fantasy adventure, 12 Aug 2012
This review is from: Firefly Island (Kindle Edition)
Firefly island was the first Daniel Arenson book that i have ever read and now i am completely hooked. In every single one of his books that i have read so far, they have been full of action, fantasy, description and romance. The writing style and choice of vocabulary means that the books are a bit more grown up then the ones that i normally read. This didnt mean that i didnt understand the stories however, it only means that the vocabulary was more advanced which made the book's description much more vivid.

Firefly island is my kind of book. It has everything i love in it which includes shapeshifters, magic, romance and action. I love all of the characters and their personalities, and in some cases, their magical abilities. You can imagine the story so easily in you mind which is what i think makes a great story. the storyline is really exciting and is never boring. I was a bit sad when i found out that it wasnt in a series as i would of loved to read more about Aeolia and her adventures.

However, soon after reading Firefly island i began reading the series Blood of Requiem. Once again Daniel Arenson delivered. It was soooo good and had everything i love in it. I cannot wait to read the next one in the series, Tears or Requiem.
I would definately advise the Blood of Requiem series and Firefly Island to anyone.!!!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price, 13 Aug 2011
Katy May (West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Firefly Island (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book but did feel it had a number of flaws. The plot is explained in other reviews and the story moved along at a fair pace with rich and imaginative detail in the first half and is a really good read. However, after that it began to get very sketchy, characters were vague, entire plot devices were only mentioned in passing and this continued until the end leaving me with the impression that the author had got a bit lost, bored or ran out of time. It's a shame as this had loads of potential at the start. Nonetheless I did enjoy the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 9 Jan 2012
This review is from: Firefly Island (Kindle Edition)
I got a kindle for christmas and was not sure if for me but i could not put it down and that is due to this book. Could not put it down. Chapters changed and told different stories and characters thrpugh it all to unwrap and tell an amazing story.

Very touching and really sad it had to end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Three Degrees of Firefly Island..., 10 Jan 2011
This review is from: Firefly Island (Kindle Edition)
To start off with I just stumbled on this while searching for my next fantasy book, after finishing *** so it had some massive shoes to fill. Luckily Firefly Island not only filled those shoes, but also made them larger for the next book I will be reading.

The story takes place on Firely Island, an island split into five sectors, each with its own people. One of the people can turn parts of their body into those of an animals, another can control stone, another can read minds, another can heal, and the fifth people are Ogres I believe. It revolves around the four "Firechildren" each have more advanced and powerful powers beyond any of those used by their own respective people. For example the Firechild who manipulates rock can turn himself into stone, meaning no one can hurt him, except the Firechild who can read minds, who can also link to other people making them feel her emotions or pain. The main character is Aeolia, the Firechild that can link to people, and the story revolves around her being taken around the world and strange things happening to her, good and bad.

I downloaded the sample off Amazon and was hooked after the first chapter, I bought the book instantly. The first few chapters were excellently written, I've never felt so good, bad or been quite as affected in general by a book before. But then, somewhere in the middle of the book, the characters that I had grown to know began doing things so out of character it became hard to read. Not only that but many of the relationships between the characters grew far too quickly, for example within one chapter a character decides she is in love with a person she has known for about a day.

Luckily it doesn't last for long, maybe a few chapters, then the writing becomes amazing once again. Making the end of the book one of the best endings I have ever read, within the last two chapters I was hit with so many emotions, I never knew a book could affect me quite like this.

So the three degrees....

Book begins amazing...

Middle could have been a little better...

Ending is amazing...

I doubt there will be a sequel, and I hope there isn't, I really liked the ending to the book. As will you if you read it.

All in all I gave this book four stars out of five, if a few chapters in the middle were written a bit better I would have given it an extra star. I would definitely recommend this to ANYONE who likes fantasy. A really amazing book to stumble upon.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first adult fantasy, 6 Oct 2010
P. A. Woodburn "writer" (Bainbridge Is, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Firefly Island (Kindle Edition)
This is a genre that I hardly ever read, and I can not recall ever finishing a fantasy novel before. I did finish this one, even read into the wee,small hours. There were several places where Mr. Arenson's descriptions had me squirming because they were protrayed so vividly. I read a lot and seldom squirm. I don't want to allude to the plot in case I spoil it for others, but I enjoyed the novel and will add the next one to my TBR pile. The plot was quite involved, and it kept moving forward at a good pace. Five stars for Mr. Arenson.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantasy series, 29 May 2014
This review is from: Firefly Island (Kindle Edition)
A one off fantasy book--- I rather enjoyed reading of the different peoples and lands and each with their own strengths- we'll worth a read

3.0 out of 5 stars Big let down, 18 Oct 2013
This review is from: Firefly Island (Kindle Edition)
In the end it finished with a whimper rather than a bang. It seems the author ran out of ideas just when it mattered. Three stars for the beginning, nothing for the rest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Firefly Island, 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: Firefly Island (Kindle Edition)
Very exciting books, holds me so I cannot put them down, and cannot wait for the next book to arrive

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit thin, 25 Jan 2013
This review is from: Firefly Island (Kindle Edition)
Felt that a lot more could have been made of this, so although I finished it, I was disappointed with the story.

Firefly Island