1 Review

3.0 out of 5 stars Great guitar playing but too many instrumentals for my taste..., 22 Oct 2010
G. E. Harrison (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lonesome Flight (Audio CD)
I've seen Steve several times on visits to San Francisco and also in this country when he's toured, he's a really good guitarist with impeccable blues credentials having played with all the greats in Chicago for 20-odd years. I've got both his previous solo records and his recent CD with Dave Spector and I was really looking forward to this new recording but I'm afraid I'm a bit disappointed. There is lots of great guitar playing here - just check out the instrumental "Guitar doctor" for some lovely Peter Green-style playing - but for me there aren't enough good songs. I also feel that there are too many instrumentals, we get three instrumental tracks on the run and there are 2 others besides, despite the fact that Steve is a really good singer.

We get off to a great start with "Hey Big Bill" Steve's tribute to Big Bill Broonzy and the title track is a nice slow blues (again with great guitar) and both this and the following track, an "On the road again"-clone "Boogie in the Rain" have nice blues harp from Scot Brenton, with Steve and Scot playing in unison. He also features on the very authentic "On Highway 101" a "Meet me at the bottom"-clone. I wasn't very keen on the jazzy instrumental "LaMorr is Blue" where Steve's guitar is processed to sound like an organ (?!?) but the other instrumentals are all nice, highlighting various facets of his guitar technique - picking, bends etc but I just felt that overall they sounded a bit like fillers. The rhythm sections featured are either bassist Burton Winn and drummer Robi Bean, or Randy Bermudes on bass and former Robert Lockwood drummer June Core.

NOTE: Don't buy the download version but instead get the actual audio CD which comes with an additional three bonus tracks - John Brim's "Tough Times", King Curtis' "Let Me Down Easy" and Johnny Young's "Keep On Drinking". "Keep On Drinking" is the best song on the CD and the other two bonus tracks aren't far behind. Three and a half stars.

Lonesome Flight
Lonesome Flight by Steve Freund (Audio CD - 2010)