on 5 January 2011
As at least one game of Trivial Pursuit is an integral part of our family Christmas, I looked at buying Bet You Know It but decided against it after reading the reviews on here. Imagine how my son felt on hearing my negative response, as he had already bought us the game as part of our Christmas present! What a great game! We really enjoyed playing it and found the best aspect was the continual involvement of all the players. As for Martha Rornes wanting more cards I suggest you do what we did - we took a selection of cards from our other TP games and shuffled them. You could then find yourself answering anything from the original Genus edition through to a younger players question from the Family edition. So now we have an almost infinite variety of games by mixing the cards and using both versions of the board. What a brilliant present that turned out to be!
on 13 May 2011
When I chanced upon this new Trivial Pursuit version on the high street I thought it looked very interesting. When I got home to buy it from Amazon I was concerned, at the time there was only one review and it was extremely negative. I still went ahead and am very glad.

My favourite innovation is simply the fact that all coloured squares are wedge squares too. That really makes a difference to the pace of the game, and it's a positive difference in my view. I've attended a few epic traditional Trivial Pursuit games in my time, when in fact what was wanted was a fun, quick, post-dinner game. This is what you get with the Bet You Know version.

The gambling element can be fun too: you bet on whether opponents will get the question right or wrong, and with the winnings you can buy wedges if you have enough credit. It actually means there's the potential to get quite far in the game without getting a question correct. That probably won't make the purists very happy, but I think it's a good twist.

I would always choose this version over standard Trivial Pursuit. I think it's fun and doesn't take itself too seriously.
on 25 October 2010
I was very excited to hear of a new Trivial Persuits Game on the market. I still have the Genus Edition and the questions are really 1990's! I can't contain my disappointment. The idea of the game is to bet on wether the player being asked the question will know the answer or not. You can accumulate chips this way. Great idea you would think? However, it turns out that no matter how mony chips you win, the person who collects all their wedges and answers the final question correctly, is the winner.So, if you have won 100 points and the person who answers their final question correctly has only won 1 point, they still win the game! It renders the betting aspect of the game completely pointless.
The board layout is dreadful. Every 4 spaces there is "Buy or roll" space. You can choose to buy a wedge (without even answering the question!) or to roll again. The whole point of TP is anwswer questions!
Also, there are new category cards. Each cards in the pack has a header title and all the different coloured questions are supposed to relate to that category. Only in some cases the actual answer to the question is the header title itself and some questions are only tenuously linked at best.
You no longer have the opportunity to travel to the centre to answer your last question as there is no longer the "ladder" to get there.
The whole game looks cheap and is badly thought out. I took mine bake to the store the next morning to get a refund. I will spend the refund on some more upto date cards for my old game.
33 comments|75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 January 2011
Trivial Pursuit is a staple game in many households at this Christmas time, the same board and questions doing sterling service year in, year out until the cards have a patina of age and even the most recent events asked about took place over a decade ago.

New packs of question cards have been available for years, but this year, there's a new flavour of Trivial Pursuit available.

The core of the game remains the same as the previous version - cards with six categories, and you need to correctly answer a question of each colour to get the wedge, and a full wedge means you're in with a shout of the win.

The twist this time is that all the questions on each card are loosely themed - eg "Cars", "Llamas", "TV", "Heavy Metal" - and you have four of these categories to choose from as you land on a square indicating the colour of question you will answer, and once you have chosen, the rest of the players can bet whether youn will get the question right.

What use is winning a bet? Well, certain sqaures allow you to buy wedges so you can sidestep question categories you're less good at. And for the final question, if you've saved enough in game pennies, you, instead of your competitors, can choose the card and category of question you will be asked, so the betting can be used to tip the balance in your favour a little.

This feature means that every player is included in every round (the big advantage of this game), and because you can win a wedge on every colour square, the game is less long winded than the original, which can be a good thing for keeping everyone's interest, which can flag in a standard TP game. And the ability to buy wedges means that someone with less general knowledge, who may not want to play the standard game, can play this version and feel included and in with a chance of winning.

The biggest downside with the game lies in the question pack - the categorisation between Science / Art / History / Sport / Entertainment / Geography is a bit loose, as are the links between the questions and the titles on the card. Given the way the betting side of the game works, this is a bit of a shame. But since it's the same for all it's still fair. Simialrly the questions feel a little easier than the Genus questions, but again, it's the same question pack for all.

Played over Christmas, this game was much enjoyed by all participants and will quite likely come out again ahead of the standard Genus edition at future gatherings. Comparisons to the original game are invieted by the branding, and as a means to explain the game mechanics, but if you approach it as a different twist on a quiz game, there's plenty of fun to be had in the orange and black box.
on 14 December 2010
My Husband gave me this game a while back, and it has really been value for money. I only wish there were more question cards as we've gone through them all now. I love the betting aspect of the game, as it gives everyone a chance to get some cheeses. We've made up a few rules of our one, like you're not allowed to buy more than two cheeses in a game, just to make more fair. The fact that you can bet on people to get questions wrong or right gives the game a whole new dimention. You can win or loose chips, with the chips you get you can buy a cheese when you land on the "buy or roll" mark, or you can (once you got all you're cheeses) buy the category you want for your final question. We've had many game nigths in with friends, and they all love this game as well. Brilliant!
on 16 September 2014
I bought this nearly four years ago and it has been frequently used (I last used it just this weekend). It has made many appearances at family get togethers as well as on couples nights where my friends and I play in teams. It seems suitable for most ages. I enjoyed playing this four years ago as an 18 year old and still enjoy playing it now with family members who are in their sixties!

The game is designed a lot differently to other trivial pursuits I have played. On each turn you roll the dice to choose a category (e.g entertainment, sports and leisure) and then you get to pick out of a choice of 4 topics (e.g. Harry Potter, Japan). The betting element is a really good twist as not only does it keep you entertained when it isn't your turn, but you can gain chips from predicting whether the other players will answer correctly or incorrectly, using the chips you win to buy segments. However, you can play the game without it if you wish to do so.

The only issue with the item is that the envelope used to display the topics is a bit fiddly, sometimes it takes a little while to get the card in to the holder.

All in all, this is a fantastic game that has kept us entertained for hours and hours!
VINE VOICEon 28 December 2010
Having read other reviews for this I was a bit sceptical when my wife bought this game. I thought that perhaps it would be too complicated for post-Christmas dinner when everyone had eaten and drank too much. However, this new version of Trivial Pursuit proved easy to play and a lot quicker than the original.

Basically, you can get a wedge on any square, there are also squares where you can buy wedges using casino chips you win by betting whether or not your opponents will get their question right.

Another difference from the previous versions is that each question card has a theme eg 80 films, London, World Cup etc, and on your turn you get to choose between 4 cards placed in an envelope with just the theme showing. As previously, each card has 6 questions with the traditional categories - geography, art & lit., history, entertainment, science & nature and sport, although the categorisation can be a bit tenuous.

The main advantage of this game is that it can be relatively quick, our average game lasted about 25 minutes, so you don't get too bogged down and won't lose interest.

Overall, a good addition to the Trivial Pursuit stable, and it seems to be on special offer at the moment!
on 6 April 2014
A well made fantastic version of trivial pursuit! I never enjoyed playing before as I could never win as I have a terrible memory and found the questions hard! In this game you are on a equal footing and can win the whole game without getting a single question correct! A great version and accessible to all! =]
VINE VOICEon 5 January 2015
This new angle on TP is a breath of fresh air. Whoever you are playing with they have the chance of winning as at the same time as people answer questions for wedges you also get to bet on the likelihood of them knowing the answer. If you can't answer questions you can spend your winnings to buy a wedge! For the first time ever I found myself almost defeated by my kids!
This is a very welcome addition to the range and a great board game for the WHOLE family.
on 9 January 2013
I bought this as an update for our old Genus edition as it was ludicrously out of date (the final straw was a question about Indian cities which had all since been renamed).

I was initially sceptical about this new betting format but it works very well. Even those who were initially insistent that buying wedges was cheating relented after they'd failed their 3rd entertainment question in a row. This is now very much the preferred format in our family. It is also nice having everyone involved every go without one player taking 10 minutes as they work their way around the board as can happen in the traditional version. Another positive is the game time. You no longer have to commit an entire evening to it, a game with 6 people takes just over an hour.

The range of questions is excellent, a game my family had over Christmas had an age range of over 60 years and no one felt disadvantaged as the younger players use to with the Genus edition.

The negatives that docked it a star:
Some of the questions have extremely tenuous links to either the card theme or category
The card holder can be quite fiddly, ours got it's first tear after just 2 games.

Something which you will have very strong feelings on when it happens to you:
With the games I've played The first person to get all 6 wedges has yet to be the winner. To win you must answer a question of the other players choosing unless you have enough chips to buy a category/topic. There is usually a card which stands out as a topic you don't know anything about which allows other players to rapidly increase their chips by betting the maximum on you getting it wrong to the point where someone else buys their way to victory.
However it works both ways and there will be games when you buy your final question to win and feel delighted with your strategic cunning.