5.0 out of 5 stars 10 stars!!!
I was eagerly waiting for the final instalment in the Fever series..and it did not disappoint. Karen Moning's dark urban fantasy world is so gripping i stayed late into the night finishing the books and was like a zombie for days after. Amazing character development, especially the heroine, Mac, as she discovers who she is in the final book. We find out about Barrons...
Published on 24 Jan 2011 by Elle L

3.0 out of 5 stars the end of a series rarely ever lives up to a readers expectations
I guess the end of a series rarely ever lives up to a readers expectations. Some of the elements added to the story, I liked. The resolution of why Barrons is so tortured was heart breaking and made his surliness much more understandable. However, Barrons and Mac together is why I read the series. The pages of this book that actually involve Barrons and Mac interacting...
Published on 22 Feb 2011 by Rebecca

5.0 out of 5 stars "Fire to my ice. Ice to my Fever", 20 July 2012
This review is from: Shadowfever: Fever Series Book 5 (Kindle Edition)
What an outstanding series of books this turned out to be. I will be honest and say that after the first book I wasn't quite sure about them... Yes I enjoyed book one but I just at that point in time could not tell if I was going to get that emotionally involved. Boy have I been shocked by how much I ended up loving every last detail of each book. I tend to read rather quickly and when I get really involved I can't book it down. However this afternoon from around 85% I found myself reading a little then putting my Kindle down, then going back to reading a little more. Not because I wasn't excited about what was happening. It was because I never wanted it to end. I will miss Mac, Barrons, Dani, Mac's parents, The MacKeltars, Barron's men, the girls at the Abbey... I will miss them all! Then at the end what do I find? "The End" (turn page) "For Now..." I could not have been happier! Sad my time in their world is finished, yes. The hope of more time in their world at a later time, YESSSSS!

Shadowfever starts off exactly where Dreamfever left off. I was so excited to start reading it that I didn't even complete a review for Dreamfever before starting it. I had to know how it continued, who was there in front of Mac? Then when I read it.. I put my Kindle down and was scared to continue. Honestly scared. I refused to Google anything about the book and forced myself to continue. Then the next day at work over lunch I found out what I had feared most had not happened [well...] and I again had to put the book down because I felt myself almost crying and I didn't want to look like a complete idiot with my co-workers sitting around me.

This book [in fact this entire series] has so many ups and downs, twists and turns, shockers, tender moments, hot moments and so on... I was a complete bundle of emotions while reading and it was a wonderful feeling.

I hate giving too much away in reviews and I feel if I say anything more it will give away major plot points so I will leave it at this... I wholeheartedly suggest that you read the Fever series as soon as possible. If you find yourself not investing in the characters after book one please take my word for it, you will very soon! And then you will think back and wonder what you were so worried about to begin with.

Oh yeah.. and I *heart* Jericho Barrons! But I'm sure this is a view held by a many people that read this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fever book 5, 25 May 2012
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Please bear in mind that Shadowfever is the fifth (and currently the last although I know Karen Marie Moning plans to come back to this world after writing the spin off trilogy about Dani) book in the Fever series. I have really enjoyed all of these books and would highly recommend them but you need to read the books in order starting with Darkfever, if you're not up to date with the series then you should stop reading this review now in case of spoilers.

Mac's story continues immediately after events in Dreamfever but I don't really want to go into details about the plot because I'd hate to spoil it for anyone. I will say it is packed with action, full of shocking twists and turns and will answer nearly all of the questions that we've had throughout the series. We finally find out what Barrons is and what he needs the book for, Mac finds out who was behind her sister's murder and the truth about her family and we discover how the Sinsar Dubh managed to escape from the Sidhe Seers in the first place. There really is so much going on that although this is a long book (671 pages in my paperback version) I still whizzed through it and didn't want to put it down for a second.

It's been a while since I discovered a series where each of the books are so consistently good and I thought Shadowfever was a fantastic ending to Mac's journey. I loved the way she has changed so much throughout the series, everything she has been through in such a short period of time has impacted dramatically on her and the changes continued in this book. Her grief makes her even harder than she was before, she will do whatever it takes to get her hands on the book so she can use it for her own agenda. It has been fun watching her go from a pink wearing, beach loving party girl to a fierce warrior in black leather and full of attitude. I'm pleased that she hasn't completely lost her inner girlie side though.

I absolutely love the way things ended between Mac and Barrons, I have been a massive Barrons fan since the first book and their relationship has been an intense (if sometimes frustrating) ride! As much as I'm looking forward to the spin off series about Dani I am really pleased that the author is planning on writing more books about Mac & Barrons in the future. I'm not ready to say goodbye to the couple yet so as much as their story has reached a satisfying conclusion for now I just want more!

Karen Marie Moning has definitely been added to my list of auto-buy authors, I can't wait to read Iced but I'm also very pleased to have her Highlander books to work my way through in the meantime. I've already ordered a copy of Beyond the Highland Mist!

3.0 out of 5 stars A lot of padding, and not quite as big an impact as there could have been., 15 Jan 2012
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Shadowfever (Paperback)
Having felt like the previous title, Dreamfever was a bit of a filler, I was really hoping for something special as a climax to this series and boy was I in for a ride. As with the other titles in the series, this book continues to work on a lot of levels with the freshness of mixing Celtic mythology with a modern world. Its inventive has some great characters and above all else it's a tale that is story driven as the readers yearn to find out the result of the investigation into the principle characters sisters death. (Which is revealed within.)

That said however this title is huge and with some extra padding (I assume to help give the fans the maximum of reading pleasure) it's a story that felt that some of the elements could have been dialled down more to give the principle aim a bigger impact for the reader. It is wonderfully descriptive, the prose ideal and when you add Makayla's dialogue to the mix, it's a series that you can forgive a lot for. All in a wonderful sense of Urban Fantasy and definitely something that gives it a bit of new wave to the reader. Cracking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can this series get any better?, 12 Nov 2011
This review is from: Shadowfever: Fever Series Book 5 (Kindle Edition)
I had to start this book straight away after finishing Dreamfever. I had a horrid gut feeling who the "beast" was and I knew I would have had a breakdown if I didn't find out soon enough. The first chapter was so heartbreaking, watching Mac experience such intense grief and pain after discovering who the "beast" was. I was so emotional reading it, I wanted to throw the book away and scream "No this can't be the end!"

Dreamfever ended with so many unanswered questions; would Mac ever find Alina's killer and avenge her death? What was Barrons? Would she ever be able to get close enough to the Sinsur Dubh and finally get everything back to normal? I was glad that I eventually got some of these answers, but OMG! some of them I was totally unprepared for. I was a little disappointed as I'd always wanted to know what Barrons was, I guess we do know what he is, kind of... but I would have loved to have found out how he became that way in the first place and may be a little more back story on Ryodan and the others.

Overall the book was an emotional roller coaster ride, and I loved every moment. I had initially decided to read this book really slowly, so that I could savour each moment, But Moning is such a fantastic writer and so unpredictable that you're sucked in from the first page.

I've heard that Moning is planning on writing three spin-offs from the fever series, which will be about Dani, Christian and Ryodan, Barrons and Mac will also be making appearances!! There are also rumours that Moning's considering writing a Alina-Darroc prequel!!! I'm soooooo excited!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars karan marie moning, 25 Sep 2011
very good read ,5 books in all never read that much but it was the best thanks ,but need more now

5.0 out of 5 stars Different from the norm, just brilliant!!, 10 Aug 2011
This review is from: Shadowfever (Hardcover)
It all comes together in this final installment, Mac has some tough decisions to make now her world has fallen apart! The twists and turns continue and we finally get to know who and what Mac is ( which is genius, by the way!) All the other players fall into place, with some very surprising turns and upsets.
She keeps you guessing right to the end, when you can eventually take a breath and then mourn because it's over! ( sniff, sniff). I know this is short, but you shouldn't be reading this if you haven't read all the other books first! x

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 27 Jun 2011
This review is from: Shadowfever (Hardcover)
I have just finished reading this series and loved the story line. I found this final book great athough wasnt as good a read as the previous books.

The story has been very gripping and hard to put down and I especially like the constrast of a 'happy' ending despite the world being left in this post chaotic state of fae and human worlds still merged.

5.0 out of 5 stars shadow fever, 31 May 2011
This review is from: Shadowfever (Hardcover)
excellent book, finished it in less than 2 days, the only drawback is it did,nt need to be so long, the author does waste a few pages writing about enviroments and it does go on abit.. i found myself gettin frustrated with the character mac, on minute she,s kick arse an then she,s all soft an girly pink again. barrens character is fantastic, could,nt read enough of him. all in all an great read and i am hoping there is another.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shadow fever, 11 Mar 2011
This review is from: Shadowfever (Hardcover)
Icouldnt wait for this book to come out, I can highley recomend a brilliant series of books you cant put them down when you start reading them. love them....

4.0 out of 5 stars great ending to a great series, 15 Feb 2011
J. Jensen - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadowfever (Hardcover)
Karen Moning feels like the best friend I've ever had. I love her books, and it was with a sense of sadness that I finished the shadow series. I really wish I could read them all again, for the first time. Lots of reviewers have allready commented on the contents, so I dont want to repeat whats already been said, just say, the ending was awesome. I loved every minute of it. Only regret I had was the way the ending clashed with; into the dreaming, and the unseelie kings/seelie queens trust there. That made little sense in light of Shadowfevers revelations. But Im nitpicking on that I suppose.

Shadowfever: Fever Series Book 5