5.0 out of 5 stars 10 stars!!!
I was eagerly waiting for the final instalment in the Fever series..and it did not disappoint. Karen Moning's dark urban fantasy world is so gripping i stayed late into the night finishing the books and was like a zombie for days after. Amazing character development, especially the heroine, Mac, as she discovers who she is in the final book. We find out about Barrons...
Published on 24 Jan. 2011 by Elle L

2.0 out of 5 stars Thank God it's over!
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Books4Reviews.)
This is the fifth and final book in the Fever Series, and picks up where book 4 - Dreamfever left off.
Mac is in the world within the silvers, and she has just killed a beast - who turns into a human who Mac is horrified to have killed.
Mac then...
Published on 29 Sept. 2012 by Sarah

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fever book 5, 25 May 2012
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Please bear in mind that Shadowfever is the fifth (and currently the last although I know Karen Marie Moning plans to come back to this world after writing the spin off trilogy about Dani) book in the Fever series. I have really enjoyed all of these books and would highly recommend them but you need to read the books in order starting with Darkfever, if you're not up to date with the series then you should stop reading this review now in case of spoilers.

Mac's story continues immediately after events in Dreamfever but I don't really want to go into details about the plot because I'd hate to spoil it for anyone. I will say it is packed with action, full of shocking twists and turns and will answer nearly all of the questions that we've had throughout the series. We finally find out what Barrons is and what he needs the book for, Mac finds out who was behind her sister's murder and the truth about her family and we discover how the Sinsar Dubh managed to escape from the Sidhe Seers in the first place. There really is so much going on that although this is a long book (671 pages in my paperback version) I still whizzed through it and didn't want to put it down for a second.

It's been a while since I discovered a series where each of the books are so consistently good and I thought Shadowfever was a fantastic ending to Mac's journey. I loved the way she has changed so much throughout the series, everything she has been through in such a short period of time has impacted dramatically on her and the changes continued in this book. Her grief makes her even harder than she was before, she will do whatever it takes to get her hands on the book so she can use it for her own agenda. It has been fun watching her go from a pink wearing, beach loving party girl to a fierce warrior in black leather and full of attitude. I'm pleased that she hasn't completely lost her inner girlie side though.

I absolutely love the way things ended between Mac and Barrons, I have been a massive Barrons fan since the first book and their relationship has been an intense (if sometimes frustrating) ride! As much as I'm looking forward to the spin off series about Dani I am really pleased that the author is planning on writing more books about Mac & Barrons in the future. I'm not ready to say goodbye to the couple yet so as much as their story has reached a satisfying conclusion for now I just want more!

Karen Marie Moning has definitely been added to my list of auto-buy authors, I can't wait to read Iced but I'm also very pleased to have her Highlander books to work my way through in the meantime. I've already ordered a copy of Beyond the Highland Mist!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can this series get any better?, 12 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Shadowfever: Fever Series Book 5 (Kindle Edition)
I had to start this book straight away after finishing Dreamfever. I had a horrid gut feeling who the "beast" was and I knew I would have had a breakdown if I didn't find out soon enough. The first chapter was so heartbreaking, watching Mac experience such intense grief and pain after discovering who the "beast" was. I was so emotional reading it, I wanted to throw the book away and scream "No this can't be the end!"

Dreamfever ended with so many unanswered questions; would Mac ever find Alina's killer and avenge her death? What was Barrons? Would she ever be able to get close enough to the Sinsur Dubh and finally get everything back to normal? I was glad that I eventually got some of these answers, but OMG! some of them I was totally unprepared for. I was a little disappointed as I'd always wanted to know what Barrons was, I guess we do know what he is, kind of... but I would have loved to have found out how he became that way in the first place and may be a little more back story on Ryodan and the others.

Overall the book was an emotional roller coaster ride, and I loved every moment. I had initially decided to read this book really slowly, so that I could savour each moment, But Moning is such a fantastic writer and so unpredictable that you're sucked in from the first page.

I've heard that Moning is planning on writing three spin-offs from the fever series, which will be about Dani, Christian and Ryodan, Barrons and Mac will also be making appearances!! There are also rumours that Moning's considering writing a Alina-Darroc prequel!!! I'm soooooo excited!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A lot of padding, and not quite as big an impact as there could have been., 15 Jan. 2012
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Shadowfever (Paperback)
Having felt like the previous title, Dreamfever was a bit of a filler, I was really hoping for something special as a climax to this series and boy was I in for a ride. As with the other titles in the series, this book continues to work on a lot of levels with the freshness of mixing Celtic mythology with a modern world. Its inventive has some great characters and above all else it's a tale that is story driven as the readers yearn to find out the result of the investigation into the principle characters sisters death. (Which is revealed within.)

That said however this title is huge and with some extra padding (I assume to help give the fans the maximum of reading pleasure) it's a story that felt that some of the elements could have been dialled down more to give the principle aim a bigger impact for the reader. It is wonderfully descriptive, the prose ideal and when you add Makayla's dialogue to the mix, it's a series that you can forgive a lot for. All in a wonderful sense of Urban Fantasy and definitely something that gives it a bit of new wave to the reader. Cracking.

5.0 out of 5 stars The whole series is just enthralling!, 19 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Shadowfever: Fever Series Book 5 (Kindle Edition)
Gripping, flowed beautifully from the previous book and ended with a perfect cliffhanger straight into the next series! I am glad to have waited until all the books have published in this series before starting as it would have driven me crazy to wait for the next instalment.
On the other hand, I am deeply sad and disappointed the series has ended. I really hope that the author will continue with another book/series on these two characters, Mac & Barrons.

As I have read the whole series already twice now, the following is a general comment on the entire series:
The way the characters were developed throughout the series was extremely entertaining as well as cleverly spaced out. The story plot was already laid out in the first book, leaving many gaps, enthralling to push you to the next book and the next. Each book revealed yet more explanations on the plot & goes towards the development of each character in such a way that made sense & was plausible.
It was an immensely enjoyable read!

Will there be another book out soon on these two???

5.0 out of 5 stars "Worth every minute of the wait"!, 11 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Shadowfever (Hardcover)
Having waited for what seemed like years for the "FINAL"( dont think it is!!) i was not disappointed, it took me 4 DAYS!! to read i couldint put it down. This series of fever books have been out-standing. "Shadowfever" by far is my favourite. In this book we find out many many things about BARRONS,V'LANE,MAC and more of the characters, i dont want to give away any of your thearies that you might have thought about, (hopeing you have read the previous books) it takes you on a journey of unraveling, discovering most of our questions about mac and her life before Barrons. Barrons does not disappoint his character is just fab, gritty, naughty! i grew to really like him, a very deep "man!". There are some shocks that made me read and go OH!NO!. All in all we do get most ends tied, But not all, which im glad as i dont want this adventure to end. I highly recommened this book to all you FEVER fans, and to the new whom might be just starting out on their fever journey! BUY this brilliant book, there should be no negetive about this book if you are a true fever fan. 20/10 stars!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars My heart aches as do my eyes!!, 5 Jun. 2013
What can i say what an epically good ending to an epic series, questions where answered players got played. Thing got twisted and turned upside down and it was amazing. I wont go on and on about how finger licking good this book was................... but my goodness it was hotter than Satan's bedroom and that place is molten lava.
Everyone we know and love is there getting some action whether it was for right or wrong. Plots thicken where other are revealed. All in all it was a pleasure to be part of the fever world for a week of my life (i bought and devoured the series in one go) It is one of the best urban fantasy series i have ever read and i know i will be going back to it repeatedly for the rest of my life.

All i want to know now is when will we be seeing Christian MacKeltar getting his own book because he sure as sugar needs one. He's my favorite male in the fever series i know most people are either a Vlane Pri-ya or a die hard Jericho addict but im strictly about the sexy highlanders.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Masterpiece!! Thanks Amazon!, 16 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Shadowfever (Hardcover)
I have been counting the days for the release of this book as the series was a wild roller-coaster ride. Imagine my suprise this morning when the mail man delivered my book 2 days early to its release date!! to say I was thrilled would be putting it mildly. Haven't yet finish the book only halfway through it but so far its been amazing!!

Thank you Amazon for a fast delivery!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant series and great ending, 24 Oct. 2012
An avid reader. - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Shadowfever (Paperback)
I dont know what more I can say about this series, other than I absolutely bloody loved it! Great prose, great world building, great characters and utterly suspenseful and riveting throughout. I am so glad I read this series and am now a huge fan of Karen's.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shadow fever, 30 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Shadowfever: Fever Series Book 5 (Kindle Edition)
Well the final book in Karen Moning's 'Fever Series' start off right were Dreamfever ended and Mac repeats history and finds a new deadly friend to help her find the book although for reasons other than the normal avenging her sister etc etc. I wouldn't go into it any further in case it soils your reading.
In the book we learn who Mac is and who she is not.
We learn Barron's secret - will Mac accept it?
We learn Dani's secret - what will Mac do with this piece of knowledge?
We learn who the real baddies are!
The book has many twists and turns but left me a bit unsatisfied- and I cannot work out why. Perhaps it is because it seems to take a long time to get to the end or perhaps because it left the book hanging in many aspects which I found frustrating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Speechless...!!, 18 Jan. 2011
SER (London, UK) - See all my reviews
...almost speechless anyway!!! lol

OMG!! What an absolute rollercoster of a read... honestly I feel exhausted!!

I can't even give a proper review for fear of letting something slip that I shouldn't lol.

Needless to say, if you loved this series, you will NOT be disappointed - although I must admit the very first part did seem to drag a little for me, but that may actually have been my own impatience to get the story going.

Loved it!!