5.0 out of 5 stars 10 stars!!!
Published on 24 Jan 2011 by Elle L

Published on 22 Feb 2011 by Rebecca

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 stars!!!, 24 Jan 2011
Elle L "of the Dark Woods" (Belly of the Beast (Athens)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadowfever: Fever Series Book 5 (Kindle Edition)
I was eagerly waiting for the final instalment in the Fever series..and it did not disappoint. Karen Moning's dark urban fantasy world is so gripping i stayed late into the night finishing the books and was like a zombie for days after. Amazing character development, especially the heroine, Mac, as she discovers who she is in the final book. We find out about Barrons (finally!) and what motivated him to seek the Sinsar Duh. I won't give away any spoilers, but the ending met my expectations and resolved remaining issues. What a story! I feel in love with Moning's world, Dublin, the page-turning suspense and mystery and the great life lessons that Mac learns as she makes one mistake after the other. I wanted to throttle her and hug her at the same time, she was so real, so like normal people with their short-sightness, their insecurities, their suspicious side, that she had me on the edge from page one of the series, till the end of Shadowfever. Another amazing series goes to my all time favorites alongside Mead, Ward, Kenyon, Cole, Viehl and Singh, that I will read again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, 21 Jan 2011
This review is from: Shadowfever (Hardcover)
I've been counting the days until this was released. The cliff hanger at the end of the previous book kept me awake at nights. So much so that I couldn't wait for the paperback and for the first time in ages bought the hardback. I don't think I've ever felt like that about a book before, and I've read a LOT of books in my time!

It's good. Very good. The most important plot lines are tied up, but there are enough left trailing to give me hope that another series of books is in the pipeline.

If you haven't read the first in this series, you must give it a go. This is an epic tale that will stay with you. And the best thing about it is that Moning has remained true to her characters right to the end. The description of Mac's grief was the most powerful thing that I've read in a long time, and the way the Barrons communicates his feelings to her was absolutely in keeping. You won't get cliches here. I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars Great End to the Series!, 21 Jan 2011
Claire Mill "Cem" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadowfever (Hardcover)
Shadowfever picks up right where Dreamfever left off, and for me there was no surprise at all to the discovery of the identity of the beast. From there we have a very different Mac to anything we've seen from her yet. And she has already changed a huge amount of the course of the series. Watching Mac grow up and develop from this very superficial 'barbie-girl' into someone who can kick ass, take the pain thrown her way and make the tough decisions she has to has been a fantastic journey. Likewise the world building has been some of my favourite. It's a dark, complex world with so many layers and so easy to get lost in. That hasn't changed for this final book.

Shadowfever is long, much longer than all the books before it. And while I never really felt like it was dragging as such, I do think it could have done with being a bit shorter. I think certain aspects were drawn out too far so that when they finally happened/were revealed, there was much less impact than there could have been. I was also a little surprised to find myself disappointed by the very last twist. Just something that got very suddenly tied up all neat and nice. It wasn't the biggest plot or anything, but it was just there then over and glossed over some at that. For the first time since Darkfever, where Mac's sunshiny, shallow personality grated on me, she irritated me again. It's late on in the book after one of many reveals and I just got very annoyed with her reaction and partly wanted her back to the Mac she'd been earlier in the book and also wishing the story would move on so I didn't need to put up with that Mac anymore. There were a couple other things I found myself a little bit disappointed with, but talking about them would be spoiler territory so I won't.

Really though, none of those little bits ruined the book for me. There is certainly a lot going on in Shadowfever and there are some real stand out moments which I loved. A few of the many twists were just fantastic and left me gaping, even when a couple had decidedly less impact. I read Shadowfever over a few days through a haze of flu, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it and while I didn't find it as impossible to put down as books 1-4, it was still a very compelling read!

Final books are so tricky. They so easily fall in to the disaster category and taint those before it, and rarely it seems can they outdo what came before (or possibly I'm reading the wrong books!!). I know there are those who would possibly consider Shadowfever one of those disasters, and I'm not denying it's flawless. It's not my favourite of the series (that lies with Faefever and Dreamfever), but I do think it's a very strong ending. I have my little issues with it, but overall I'm very satisfied with the outcome. Most of the big questions are answered and those left unanswered, I can live with. I really enjoy this final adventure in to Mac's world and I'm happy to say this is still one of my favourite series ever! KMM would have been very hard pressed to please all her many fans with this book, but I for one am very happy. Great read, and a worthy final for a spectacular series!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant series and great ending, 24 Oct 2012
An avid reader. - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Shadowfever (Paperback)
I dont know what more I can say about this series, other than I absolutely bloody loved it! Great prose, great world building, great characters and utterly suspenseful and riveting throughout. I am so glad I read this series and am now a huge fan of Karen's.

2.0 out of 5 stars Thank God it's over!, 29 Sep 2012
This review is from: Shadowfever (Paperback)
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Books4Reviews.)
This is the fifth and final book in the Fever Series, and picks up where book 4 - Dreamfever left off.
Mac is in the world within the silvers, and she has just killed a beast - who turns into a human who Mac is horrified to have killed.
Mac then eventually finds her way back to Dublin, and continues her battle against the Unseelie, and her quest to find and capture the Sinsar Dubh.

I really don't know what to say about this book other than `thank god it's over'. Reading it was like swimming through quicksand - tiring and pretty pointless. It's not even like the book was bad, it just dragged - painfully dragged. At times I wasn't even sure I could bring myself to keep reading I was so tired of it.
My speculation on the cliff hanger at the end of book 4 was proven right, although ultimately, due to the storyline, this event meant nothing anyway.
The only redeeming feature of this book was that Mac finally had consensual sex with Barrons! About time too! And it only took 1781 pages to get there (yes, I worked it out, I was that bored.)

Overall; this book just really didn't do it for me. The pace was too slow, and ultimately I really didn't care what happened to the characters, or if they completed their quest or not. I will definitely not be reading this series again.
5 out of 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Talk about leave the best till last!!, 12 Sep 2011
This review is from: Shadowfever (Audio CD)
Shadowfever

Well, as expected, the final book in the fever series certainly does NOT disappoint.

I was just as gripped as I was at the beginning of the series and I think that really is something to be excited about. After 4 books in this world with these characters the author still has the ability to capture my attention so fully.

The ending of Dreamfever was a massive shocker and so I started Shadowfever straight away. I HAD to know what happened to Barrons. I couldn't believe that he was actually dead. I just coulnd't and so I ploughed on for hours until I got answers. This book is full of answers really. As it should be. Its the last in the series and so there were a lot of answers to be explained fully and god it was done so well. I loved how Mac found stuff out and everything played out so neatly and joined all the dots together.

It felt good to finally find out what Barrons is. And to gradually work out what Mac's true story/background is and who really killed Alina. And of course for the inevitable to finally happen between Mac and Barrons. It all came together so well.

The story itself has got more twist and turns than the rest put togehter. So you do need to concentrate to keep up but as with the other books Mac tends to do recaps every so often of what she has found out so even if I didn't quite understand a particular sequence as it happened, when Mac went back over it afterward and recapped I found myself keeping up with the plots and twists easily through her. I must say as well that I could no way have predicted what happened. All of my theories as to who killed Alina, what Barrons and his men were, what Mac was etc were all well off. The twists and turns in this book are some of the most imaginative I've ever read and I loved every minute.

I must point out I was also thoroughly pleased with the ending. I could not have hoped for better. It was very well written and left me very satisfied with what had happend to all of the characters. It wasn't perfect but it went perfectly in keeping with the tone of these unbelievable books.

I would say that I can't believe that this is the final book in the series but I've heard that the author is writing another series set in this imaginative setting and so although I've read this series a bit late, I'm glad because now I wont have to wait as long as everyone who read it years ago for the next books to come out.

Overall I'm soooooo glad I read this series. It's quite possibly my new favourite series of all time and I cant praise it enough and really can't stress enough how much you need to pick these up if you havent done so already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not an Ending!!, 10 Mar 2011
Margaret Charles "jennywren" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadowfever (Hardcover)
I was lucky enough to find the fever series just as the last book was due to come out so have read all of them one after the other to my huge relief! I don't think I would have been as patient as some readers as the whole series had me hooked. Am now finding it difficult to find something to replace a months' worth of pleasure.

HOWEVER - this may be the end of this particular series but I don't believe it is the end of the story. There are simply too many threads left untied so in my opinion (humble though it may be) there is definitely a spin off on the way :-)

I was caught completely off guard by - of all people - Danni....there goes one spin off :-)

Anyway - to all who haven't read this brilliant series please go and do so - and to all who have read it....hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

3.0 out of 5 stars the end of a series rarely ever lives up to a readers expectations, 22 Feb 2011
This review is from: Shadowfever (Hardcover)
I guess the end of a series rarely ever lives up to a readers expectations. Some of the elements added to the story, I liked. The resolution of why Barrons is so tortured was heart breaking and made his surliness much more understandable. However, Barrons and Mac together is why I read the series. The pages of this book that actually involve Barrons and Mac interacting are slim pickings. Barrons and Mac together didn't show up until a good ways into the book, and then their conflict was my least favorite plot device, "the big misunderstanding". But the endless, and I do mean endless, introspection from Mac was the main reason I gave it three stars. It was just too much. I'm seriously tempted to mark out the pages where Mac goes on and on and put in a succinct summary. It's like reading the thoughts of someone high on drugs. There were twists and turns to the plot, which is usually good, but there were too many for my liking. Too convoluted for my taste. The other books had a plot and went in a straight line for the most part. This one didn't. It was like every plot line Moning ever considered using for the last book was included. As the end of the series, it could have been better, but then again it could have been worse.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 15 Feb 2011
Aj Reeves (kent uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadowfever (Hardcover)
brilliant finish to this series looks like more to come she has got everything in her books plenty of passion,danger ,mystery,sadness the lot keeps you gripped start to finish so many interesting characters which makes you realise there can be so many more books [CANT WAIT]if you want lots of passion ,alpha Males fiesty heroines Down to earth and believable love stories plus fantasy, druidry,bit of magic read this womans books but read them in sequence this is book 4 she also has highlander books which do tie into this series but they can be read alone i recommend them also personally i would give her 10 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Masterpiece!! Thanks Amazon!, 16 Jan 2011
This review is from: Shadowfever (Hardcover)
I have been counting the days for the release of this book as the series was a wild roller-coaster ride. Imagine my suprise this morning when the mail man delivered my book 2 days early to its release date!! to say I was thrilled would be putting it mildly. Haven't yet finish the book only halfway through it but so far its been amazing!!

Thank you Amazon for a fast delivery!!

Shadowfever: Fever Series Book 5