4.0 out of 5 stars This is the reality of weight loss
Published on 16 July 2010 by Pie Master

3.0 out of 5 stars Some decent advice but lacking
I've had issues with weight all my life. I've tried some dieting, food psychology and a range of approaches with mixed success.

Published 11 months ago by Mr. P. J. Kimberlee

4.0 out of 5 stars This is the reality of weight loss, 16 July 2010
This book along with "diets don't work" in my opinion is an essential read but only if you are willing to be realistic about loosing weight. This is a serious book written by a serious health expert. It's more about changing how you feel about yourself then how to loose the pounds overnight. It's written brilliantly and with a friendly approach. Interestingly no where in the book are there any words on how much you will loose or how quick. It's a serious and realistic approach to changing completely how you think about food and especially dieting. It's not an overnight fix but its woken me up as a serial dieter and i can feel the change within me already.

It explains how normal people eat and how they think with regards to eating. The four Golden rules that paul mckenna goes on about (which he actually "borrowed" from other health experts) 1) eat what you want 2) eat consciously/slowly 3)eat what you want 4)when you are full stop eating. But it only mentions these once.

If you are serious about loosing weight and if you want to change how you see food and the importance you give it. This is the book for you. Its not an easy read and it really is not an overnight solution. But it is the first step on being honest, tackling your food issues and loosing weight. Once you have read this, i cannot stress enough in fact let me do caps... BUY "DIETS DONT WORK" AFTER YOU HAVE READ THIS and you will start to realise where you have been going wrong if you are a multiple dieter. (I review that too)

Be serious with yourself. Please for the sake of your sanity if diets havent worked for you. Invest in theses two books (BOTH this one first then the other). We should really be thankful for this book as serial dieters. It's time to stop the madness and see why we have been going wrong. The serious earthy and realistic version of the Paul Mckenna "diet"

I give it four stars because a lot of people will be put off by the ultra realistic approach especially those used to quick fixes. And theres no exercises or notes as such to help you. Once the book is read you have to remember a lot of things. But i still recommend it if you are at your wits end. Get going and get these books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing life-changing book, 20 Aug 2011
I bought this for myself just before Christmas, after going through a low period where I had put on yet more weight. It was a fantastic read, and for the first time in my adult life I have managed to steadily lose weight week on week for 3 months and keep it off. In the end I have lost just over a stone. Be prepared to do the legwork with this - it depends on being honest with your self as to why you eat what you do. I won't forget going into M&S after reading this and realising I could have WHATEVER I wanted to eat for lunch. I hadn't realised how I had classified food and bad or good for so many years. Once this pressure is off, and you understand where you want to be, choosing food is enyable and less stressful. Can't recommend it enough!

4.0 out of 5 stars Koenig, 8 May 2009
DB (London, UK) - See all my reviews
A good commonsense approach to normalising your approach to eating. Not as easy a read as some authors who spend time telling you how they "did it" but is a sound basis for tackling eating issues. Well worth a place on your bookshelf!

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good book, 20 Jun 2009
Authors who have a first-hand personal experience with the topic they are tackling usually gain greater trustworthiness. Karen Koenig seems to really own the psychology of the 'non-normal' eater, whichever the category one falls into.

I personally don't like the "rules" approach to anything, but I find that people generally are attracted by structuring thoughts and behaviours througj "rules". The basic rules of 'normal' eating suggested in this book are simple (like the Paul McKenna approach) but also well-explained in order to avoid oversimplification and over-optimism. Generally, the book offers a realistic approach to change.

One of the greatest assets of this book are the long lists of irrational and rational beliefs over eating. After having proposed a way (too CBT for my taste, I admit)of identifying feelings (a great incorporation of emotional literacy suggestions) there are a lot of handy explanations on cravings, hunger, satisfaction, etc, so that the reader learns more on how to stay tuned with the body's needs. Finally, there is a lot to read on taking care of oneself, learning how to behave around food in various circumstances and situations, and finally on body acceptance. The book offers a great ground for preparation for change (and it is a difficult task to change eating behaviours) in a way that does not promise easy (and temporary) solutions but makes sense.

Generally I would say that this book offers an easy language, but at the same time is really handy for professionals, too. I am delivering workshops on the psychology of eating and I am enthusiastic when I have a book on my hands that I can both use myself as a resource and also recommend to non-professionals.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some decent advice but lacking, 29 Jan 2014
Mr. P. J. Kimberlee (shrewsbury) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rules of "Normal" Eating: A Commonsense Approach for Dieters, Overeaters, Undereaters, Emotional Eaters, and Everyone in Betwe (Kindle Edition)

This book has some good ideas and important points but I'm not totally convinced. Some parts such as changing irrational beliefs on the morality of foods "good or bad foods" just don't really apply to me. The same with ideas about shame and overeating, they're not massive issues for me. I felt some of the beliefs discussed and some other parts of the book might apply to women more.

The bits about using your hunger to guide you are really good and I liked the practical exercises/advice around this. This is something I will definitely use. The anti-diet approach makes sense too, although discounting nutrition and food choice for a purely psychological approach is a mistake, I think. For example I know I eat less and feel better when I have a higher protein breakfast. I don't see this as being a particularly disordered way of thinking. I have friends who do sports and are healthy weight who think like this sometimes. It's OK as long as you don't obsess over it.

The book is based a lot on CBT, which is good but has it's limits. I've tried the Beck Diet Solution before, which is CBT but it's convoluted and hard work. There's no references in the book, I'm not sure what science she's drawing her conclusions from, though CBT is scientifically supported.

The book is on the short side with some good advice, but it was lacking and expensive for a kindle book, with little new. I read it in under an hour. Had I known the full content I definitely wouldn't have bought it. However if you're a real serial dieter, with a lot of irrational beliefs around food, this could really help you. I have also bought Foodist, which seems much better for me so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars common sense approach, 15 Mar 2010
J. Ingram (Leicester, England) - See all my reviews
I own the book the 7 secrets of slim people which had the same principles as this book. The main difference is that the author says we cannot start to become "normal eaters" until we have sorted our thoughts and beliefs to how we eat and why we feel the need to eat when not hungry or deprive ourselves of food when we need to eat.

an interesting read

5.0 out of 5 stars Lets hope it works, 19 Jun 2014
Recommend by a counsellor, still early days to know if it actually works for me, but feel more positive already. Just need to remember all change takes time to get used to!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 7 July 2014
Quite hard going read but some very useful and thought provoking information