4.0 out of 5 stars Does what I need.
Published 15 months ago by Kay

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good for heavy items
Published 3 months ago by srii

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what I need., 12 Jan 2013
Kay (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: AmazonBasics USB Cable 2.0 A-Male to B-Micro 6 Feet / 1.8 m (Personal Computers)
I wanted a long cable as the one with my Samsung Galaxy S3 was far too short (and my proper - as in not a USB put in a plug - S2 charger barely charged it) I like to be able to mess around on my phone while it's charging but more importantly I use both Netflix & SkyGo and given they're both such battery drainers it was a pain having to stop the film/programme I was watching which I charged the battery up some.

I had intended just to buy a cheap USB cable but there were reviews stating that while they were fine for transferring data they wasn't powerful enough to charge a smart phone. Despite never owning any of Amazon's electronics and the quite high price for what is just a USB I decided to give it a go. In Amazon's defence though I am so used to paying, well nothing, for microUSB's as we have hundreds floating around the house that it could just be me.

The cable itself is very thick which I like as it doesn't get knotted and tangled in my bag the same way thinner ones do and it is plenty long. It charges my phone up in around the same time the cable that came with Samsung did which was a plus as I would've accepted and been happy with (slightly) longer charging time for the length of it.

I'm thinking of buying another one; one for charging at home and the other for the charger I carry around in my bag (as typically if I take it out to use at home, I then forget it and I am left charger-less while out and about!)

Some people have commented they don't last but frankly, if I get 3-6 months out of it then I will be quite happy. I am the mobile-phone-attached-to-your-hands-or-ear generation and I charge my S3 twice a day so it gets plenty of use. Possibly I have low expectations but I'm also of the generation where things are no longer built to last!

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic but brilliant, 26 Oct 2011
This is a cable that belies its very reasonable price. It is a good thickness and well shielded and has gold plated connections to resist corrosion. It is also of a decent length. It's connectors are nicely designed ergonomic wise.

Best of all it works faultlessly and promises a good working life due to its robust construction.

For 3.99 and free delivery a brilliant buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A useful alternative to the shorter cables often provided, 16 Mar 2012
Andy_atGC (London UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I find it annoying that many portable hard drives, DVD writers etc are often provided with data/power leads that are rarely longer than 45cm or 18 inches. This often requires that the device is located in a position that is often inconvenient. A longer lead, a metre would be perfect if available, allows more positioning options and possibly one considerably more convenient.

As many mobile phones, MP3 players and the like are similarly provided with short cables using the same connector, this can serve several devices, both for data transfer and also when charging.

A useful item, not over-expensive and of apparent good quality. It works and that is about all you can ask of it!

POSTSCRIPT
I had originally purchased one to use with a USB 1.0 portable hard drive where its 25cm lead was too short to reach behind the laptop I then used. I would then have preferred one of 0.6-0.9m but this was the only available choice. It solved that problem.

The microUSB connector is common to many phones and tablets and the cable could be used for data transfer between one such device and a PC, which is why I purchased another. I have used it with a Sony Xperia Z tablet for data transfer and it did that as well as the shorter original although the microUSB plug seemed less positive in its connection than Sony's lead. Because it was connected, I then used it to charge the tablet but I would NOT recommend it for regular charging; it is a data cable and, when used to charge, it needed more than twice as long as is normal and then only for a partial charge.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good for heavy items, 14 Jan 2014
I bought this product in August for my hp touchpad. After 5 months of usage, it broke in micro usb end. Product is not as solid as described. Physical appearance may make you feel like a solid product, but not actually. The metal part is at the edge of the soldiering. Any little hard usage can damage the cable very easily. This cable can never be comparable with OEM products. OEM uses hard ruber rather than plastic casing, which extends the life of the cable. I'm still searching for good cable. Amazon has to take the learning and release the version 2 probably.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cable, 14 Nov 2013
S. Music (London, UK) - See all my reviews
There are some minor issues with amperage loss, but in my case (ordered 2 cables) these are only minor, and aren't really noticeable with my 2AMP phone charger, only with weaker, 0.5AMP PC USB sockets. But even there it will charge up the phone to the top.

What I wanted to stress, is that due to it's length and softness, this will not brake your phone's micro USB socket, and it will not end up spinning your phone around when you plug it in, like most shorter and harder cables do. You can comfortably have it plugged in while using your phone in bed etc.

Really good and not at all "basic" cable at a decent price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy long micro USB cable, 20 Oct 2011
A cable is a cable, right? Wrong. This is a great cable. It's long, slightly over 1m80 and has the nice gold plated connectors. The micro USB connector is strong and 'clicks' nicely on your micro USB devices.
I can see this cable living a long life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally a decent connection, 19 Mar 2014
Other MicroUSB cables seem really finicky.

The reason I've took a star off is that it doesn't seem to work in USB3 ports. Not sure how that's possible, since it should be backwards compatible, but that's what's happening.

3.0 out of 5 stars Strong cable but lacking mA output, 17 Nov 2013
While the cable is a good length and built of good quality materials, I could not get more the ~900mA to 1A through it. I tested it with many different chargers that all have a tested minimum of 2A

3.0 out of 5 stars Long cable..., 4 Sep 2013
Deepak K. Sharma "deeps" (Warwick,UK) - See all my reviews
This does exactly what I wanted, it's nice and long so I can connect my Samsung s3 up at night. However, it must have a higher resistance than my Samsung charger, as my phone takes a lot longer to charge. It's ok as I'm charging over night..

1.0 out of 5 stars Loose connection makes this cable unusable for me, 6 Aug 2013
The micro USB end of this cable is remarkably loose fitting into my devices (Nexus tablet and Samsung Galaxy S2 phone). To achieve a decent charge I have to balance the cable in a way that puts pressure on the cable and keeps it perfectly still. If I try use my devices whilst moving the cable in any way, the charge will cut out frequently. I'll admit my phone is slightly worn and thus has a slightly dirty socket but I cleaned it out and tried again. No joy. I have no doubt that this cable works perfectly fine for many people, but if you have had this problem with other cables in the past, I would steer clear of this one. I have since bought a similar size cable from a different company and it charges my devices perfectly fine. I have left the link for that cable below.

PortaPow Specialised Fast Charging Micro USB Cable for Blackberry, Xperia, HTC One, Google Nexus, Other Fast Charging Devices

ARRAY(0xbab55c48)