4.0 out of 5 stars If I could give it 3.5 stars I would...
I am giving my opinions here as a U2 fan who went to the 1st Wembley 360 gig last year. And as the owner of 30+ concert DVD's (including 6 U2 concerts).

Published on 6 Jun 2010 by Dm Blackwell

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - Could have been better
After catching the 360 show in Cardiff, I was eagerly anticipating the release of the concert on Blu Ray. Cant help but feel slightly disappointed.

The overall performance from the band is good, we all know Banjo's voice aint' what it used to be, which is excusable after so long in the trade. The major gripes are with the production.

Firstly, it...
Published on 7 Jun 2010 by Spockwad

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - Could have been better, 7 Jun 2010
This review is from: U2 360 At The Rose Bowl [Blu-ray] [2010] (Blu-ray)

Firstly, it seems that the director has had too many cameras at his disposal. The editing jumps far too quickly from one camera to another, mixed with arty-farty shots to a point where it really begins to get on your nerves after a while.

Secondly, much of the concert has a grain effect rendering for artistic purpose which sort of defeats the object of filming and releasing in HD. Also, most of the bonus footage is only in standard definition.

Finally, the biggest gripe, as mentioned before, the omission of Breathe as the opening track. The main feature seems to open half way through the second track!?!? No band entrance, no build up! Very strange. Who ever decided on this ought to have the contents of my Wheelie Bin tipped on their heads!

Overall, a decent release, could have been better with a little more care and attention. For fans and collectors. For those wanting to see a classic U2 gig, captured in all its glory and well presented, go for Zoo TV in Sydney or Elevation in Boston.

4.0 out of 5 stars If I could give it 3.5 stars I would..., 6 Jun 2010
Dm Blackwell "Dazmb" (UK) - See all my reviews

Starting with the good: The 2nd 'Extra's' disk is great, with some really good stuff on it especially the main 360 documentary. I would give this extra content disk 5 stars. But it's the inclusion of one thing on this extra content disk that is the start of my unhappiness with the main concert film on disk 1...

The 'bonus' track of Breathe on disk 2 is as all U2 fans know the opening song of the 360 shows. The song signals the entrance of the band 1 by 1 (Larry first starting up the drums, then Mr Clayton then Edge and finally Bono). And adding to it's importance is the music and video sequence just prior to this. David Bowie's 'Space Oddity' starts up and their is a little U2 backing piece called 'Soon' that follows it combined with a clock countdown that fires up on the big 360 video screen. This is a REALLY big and important opening to the show that sets the scene and excitement - but not only is it missing from this bonus track Breathe, but it is missing from the start of the main concert film which instead has been given the opening song as 'Get On Yer Boots' (boooo...... worst song on the NLOTH CD).

Why boys, why? Why have you taken a scalpel to this important bit of the concert? I think I speak for most U2 fans when I say I'd rather ditch the weak GOYB for Breath. And even if you did have to have GOYB instead of the much better Breath for disk running time purposes (can't see why but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt) then ok. But you've really ruined the opening of the concert by not having the aforementioned Bowie/Soon clock countdown.

Ok, so got that off my chest. But it gets worse. The editing of GOYB is a total abortion job. What was the editing team on for this first song? Acid? There are so many camera edits, changing rapidly from one cut to the next and so quickly that you only see a few seconds of one of the band before flying off to another shot. I'm not kidding when I say that it actually made me feel nauseous. And I've never had that sensation before. A Tears for Fears concert DVD was the worst i'd seen before - but this is in a different league. Truly awful editing in my opinion.

Now the good news. Strangely this lousy editing only lasts for that one song. By the time the 2nd song gets going the editing team have calmed down (or the effects of the acid tablet they had taken have worn off :) ). For the rest of the show the editing is better and the camera changes much slower. It's not in my opinion the best U2 concert representation I've seen though by any stretch. Even the Vertigo tour DVD from Chicago is superior, and the Vertigo Milan and Elevation Boston show are streets ahead. In fairness to the director I think the 360 show was probably a big challenge to shoot. There must have been a difficulty in getting such a huge stage with the distances involved recorded in a way to give some kind of show intimacy like the live audience had. So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt!

Some other criticisms:

The awesome majesty of the 360 stage spaceship is not really shown until way too far into the show. I would have liked to have seen more distant shots showing it's scale and things like the vertical lasers and the top of spire mirrorball. You don't really appreciate from the concert film the technical masterpiece that Willie Williams and Mark Fisher created for the boys. For example the Unforgettable Fire / City Of Blinding Lights / Vertigo segment when the video screen decends is not as spectacular as shown as it was in reality.

The film stock they have used is a bit too grainy. The performance was HD shot, but comparing the quality of the video here to the awesome quality of the recent Killers & Police concert DVD releases it falls far short of the best.

The U2 'baby' spaceman menu intervention between encores is silly and needless.

A minor one this, but the pictures in the booklet are also naff quality. Again they are grainy and lack clarity and focus. Not in a good way like if Anton Corbijn does them, but in an amature way like if I had taken the photos myself! Come on Tara Mullen - please pull your socks up with regards the quality of the packaging & presentation. It's not good enough for a band like U2 (the richest band in the world to boot) to have cheap packaging.

Ok, so that's me done moaning. Here are the good points:

The audio recording mix is really good. It has a rawness to it that I've never heard on a U2 concert DVD before. It's like they've decided to not over-process the sound in post-production and that's great IMO. You can hear Edge's guitar in a more intimate way than before - warts and all. That's appreciated.

The songs are great of course (notwithstanding the slightly naff GOYB). It' great to hear The Unforgettable Fire. In fact that trio segment of Unforgettable Fire / City Of Blinding Lights / Vertigo is an awesome one and real highlight. THe epic Moment of Surrender is a spine tingler too (why was it not the 1st single boys... Should have been brave and released as Brian Eno said).

Also uber cool is Bono and THAT JACKET in Ultraviolet! Fricken' Lazers man, in a coat! Only he could pull that off.

Another great shot is when the helicopter filming the show flies right across another highup camera. An amazing image that.

So to my star ratings:
Packaging - 3
Concert film - 3.5 (would have been a 4 but for the unforgivable butchering of the opening of the show)
Extra content disk - 5

So that averages out at around 3.5 / 4 - and as three stars is too harsh I will give it 4. But if there was any way I could do 3.5 I would.

The bottom line for me is that this concert has not been edited/filmed in a way that is either sympathetic or representative of what was an awesome live experience - and as such it is in no way U2's finest concert on film.

I'll happily go and put on my flame-proof jacket now - can I have some lazers in it please to cushion the blows that doubtless are about to come my way ;)

2.0 out of 5 stars Sack the director!, 5 July 2010
S. P. Long "Simon Long" (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: U2 360 At The Rose Bowl [Blu-ray] [2010] (Blu-ray)
Watched this last night, and I have to say I was hugely disappointed. The sound mix is fine, the selection of songs is good and I'm sure U2's performance was excellent. Unfortunately, the visuals on this disc are very poor indeed. The picture doesn't really look as if it is even in HD a lot of the time - very blurry and poorly focussed. The director spends far too much time showing you arty shots of lighting effects superimposed over the band, or shots from the crowd with the band obscured by people's heads and hands. When you do get to see the band, the images have a very artificial look to them, as if the artists have been digitally superimposed on the backgrounds. There's also a lot of cheesy 70's style shots of all 4 band members superimposed, or blended together - none of this enhances the experience at all, and you're left with something that looks like a showcase of the director's digital studio techniques, rather than the band.

I'm sure there are better videos of U2 than this - this one is really best avoided.

4.0 out of 5 stars U2 360, 16 Jun 2010
Omar Kudovic (Bosnia / Herzegovina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: U2 360 At The Rose Bowl [Blu-ray] [2010] (Blu-ray)
Got my Blu Ray disc last night and could'nt wait to see! But...Sound is very good, but full grain picture is not good. There is nothing what I can see different between oridinary DVD release and BRD! I espect to see full blown HD picture with clear picture, but not. Bonus material looking great (BD Live is there), but in total I am little bit disappointed with grain picture on Blu Ray.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Concert - The Omission Of "Breathe" Is The Only Let Down, 15 Jun 2010
Paul Foy (Leixlip, Co. Kildare, Ireland) - See all my reviews
I bought the Super-Delux box set recently and it is well put together!

The concert itself is great

The only let down for me was, as is mentioned by other reviewers, that 'Breathe' is not the opening track on the DVD of the concert, rather it is included as a bonus track on the deluxe & super deluxe editions

It starts from the second song in, 'Get On your Boots'

Also there is no build up to them coming on stage at the start i.e. 'Soon / Songs Of Ascent' and then the opening of Breathe

Continuity was not maintained

I watched the concert live on You Tube in the wee hours last October and when I heard it was being filmed for a DVD my expectations were high

But alas, they were not met :(

Still, it is a great gig - I was privalaged to see the concert in Croke Park, Dublin in July of last year - something special!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply awesome, 18 Mar 2011
Ginx "Raingod" (Johannesburg, South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: U2 360 At The Rose Bowl [Blu-ray] [2010] (Blu-ray)
There's nothing one could say about this series of concerts that hasn't been said before. If you were at any of the concerts like I have in Johannesburg, South Africa(90 000+ crowd), this is more than just an interesting merchandise 'keep-sake' but the production actually transports you back to the show. If you weren't fortunate enough to see the show live, this is as close to being there as you can get. The sound is awesome, the production top notch and the special features informative.

My humble opinion:
This Blu-Ray requires good sound and a decent display. You will NOT get the point of this epic production without a fine theater setup! Crank up the volume and see how your friends' jaws drop in amazement.

My recommendation:
1. Watch the "Berlin Timelapse" video in the Special Features menu first to get an idea of the effort that goes into making the show so spectacular - it contextualises what you're about to see very effectively.
2. After that, while all in the room still try to figure out how much goes into a production of this nature, setup your audio.
3. Choose 'Where the Streets have no name" from the 'Track selection' menu
4. Crank up the volume to the point where the neighbours look out their windows to see why an Airbus A380 is approaching take off from their driveway!
5. Sit and marvel at the coolest rock band ever to walk the earth.

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT SOUNDS BUT..............., 7 Aug 2011
This review is from: U2 360 At The Rose Bowl [Blu-ray] [2010] (Blu-ray)
The quality of images for a blu ray is really bad.....Better save a bit of money and buy DVD because I believe is quite the same thing!!

5.0 out of 5 stars the best sound of U2, 9 July 2010
This is the best audio recorded U2 video ever. The concert is filmed like it is coming from out of space. Great concert, great ambient, great sound, great show. Highest recommendation!
Bonus dvd gives a closer look to the biggest live stage yet, and unusually lots of information for the fans about the tour, and the conntruction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 24 Mar 2013
I've loved this band ever since I heard the boy album for the first time way back in the eighties. I saw this tour and the DVD is just like being back in the stadium. I defy you to press play & not be grinning.. Enjoy !

4.0 out of 5 stars U2 at The Rose Bowl, 11 Mar 2011
Jennifer "Jen" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
What is impressive about this concert is the amount of people that are there. In excess of 97,000 is a huge number and whilst this also is an impressive sight to behold, I couldn't help but think when watching the DVD that a crowd this size takes away a lot of the intimacy of the concert. As it is filmed in the round, you are aware at all times of the thousands of people in attendance, however, because of the darkness and the lack of audience close-ups etc, I felt when watching that because it always tends to focus on the band onstage, the interaction with the audience that is part of the atmosphere of a live concert, is lost.

The opening song on the DVD is the rousing 'Get On Your Boots', however, I felt immediately that maybe this had not been the opening song of the actual concert, as you do get the strong feeling that you are joining the show maybe one or two songs in. A quick check online after I finished watching the DVD, showed my feelings were correct. 'Get On Your Boots' had in fact been the second song, the opening song was 'Breathe' and it does not feature at all on this DVD. However, if you buy the deluxe version which has 2 discs, you will find 'Breathe' is included as an extra, which personally I find annoying. I would far rather have watched the concert from its opening song and seen the band come onstage etc.
Following 'Get On Your Boots' the band move swiftly on to 'Magnificent' another great track from 'No Line On The Horizon' which in my opinion is the best song they have came up with for a number of years and is up there with my other personal U2 favourites, such as 'The Unforgettable Fire' and 'One' which I am pleased to say both of these feature in this concert.

The sound quality is excellent throughout and the band deliver a polished, faultless performance. Bono sounds as good as ever vocally and I was impressed by his running around the entire circle of the stage. I am aware some people do not like Bono but I am judging him here entirely on his performance skills which are excellent. Like him or loathe him, you cannot deny the man has an 'aura' about him and is a great presence on stage. Indeed it is something that was noticeable back on their Live Aid performance in 1985 and has carried them through the years.
I thoroughly enjoyed the concert, the sound, the perfomance and the content I cannot fault. Yes there are one or two songs I would have liked to have seen included such as 'New Years Day' or 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own', but with such a massive back catalogue it is difficult to please everyone and I was really happy that they did include my all time favourite 'The Unforgettable Fire' so I am not disappointed.

The only thing that did disappoint me was that the concert does not begin with the actual opening track and also because of the way it is filmed and/or edited, you don't get to see much audience interaction which I feel would have improved the overall atmosphere of the concert for the viewer watching this DVD. For that reason, although it is a great performance, it seemed just a little lacking, as the true atmosphere does not come across when watching. Maybe I am being overly picky as the performances are faultless and as a fan of the band I loved listening to the songs played live, but just a little more atmosphere would have been the icing on the cake.
If you are a fan, you will enjoy this.

ARRAY(0xa6f669b4)