5.0 out of 5 stars A Marvellous Device!
I purchased this device to find out how much it costs to run an oil filled electric heater, over a whole day. It does exactly what it says on the tin. The heater costs far less to run than I had previously thought, and now I have no qualms about running it over the course of a cold day.

Regarding the screen's readability; this is easily remedied with a short...
Published on 7 Dec 2010 by A. Coyle

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Product But !
Published on 4 Dec 2010 by Rochdale Gary

5.0 out of 5 stars A Marvellous Device!, 7 Dec 2010
A. Coyle - See all my reviews
This review is from: Energenie Power Meter (DIY & Tools)

Regarding the screen's readability; this is easily remedied with a short in-line extension lead, which will allow you to pick up the device to read it, at whatever level you feel comfortable.

This is a reference device, which is useful for such applications as I described above. It doesn't make sense to use it as a permanent fixture as it does draw a small amount of power itself 0.5W. It is an excellent value device, which provides an ideal way to ascertain accurate energy usages over time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Product But !, 4 Dec 2010
This review is from: Energenie Power Meter (DIY & Tools)
It's a good pruduct allows you to tell how much you are paying for electricity on individual devices,and you can set it to see how much it uses overnight, useful to check how much standby costs on a device when you know you will be asleep, But the problem is, the only way to clear the readings ready for the next device is to reset the unit, then you have to re-enter all the prices, reset the time etc etc, this is a draw back. the display can be a little tricky to read as well, not all plug sockets are in places where you can easily read the display. but for the price you can't complain too much. If it wasn't for that I would be giving it 5 stars, as it is, 3 is about right.

1.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate!, 14 Feb 2013
David R. (Reading, Berks) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Energenie Power Meter (DIY & Tools)
I've had this for several months. I won't repeat the criticisms that others have made about it (and with which I agree) but I'll mention something which I don't think others have picked up on.

I have had several bulbs "blow" in quick succession and so I wanted to check the voltage being delivered to my house. The reading was around 250 volts and, over several weeks, has stayed that way, sometimes reading as much as 253 volts and never less than 248 volts. 252 volts is at the limit of the permissible range before one can complain to the electricity company. So I thought I would check with a known-to-be-accurate multimeter. That read 230 volts - which is what it should be.

If the voltage reading is so badly out then just how accurate are the other readings? In other words, is it any use at all?

2.0 out of 5 stars good but bad, 2 Nov 2013
nigel "nxf" (Connahs Quay, North Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Energenie Power Meter (DIY & Tools)
I have had this monitor for 8 days and it is great for giving the total kWh which I then multiply by my electric suppliers cost-per-kWh. I do this as the monitor only allows 2 decimal places and my energy is priced to 3. I knew this before I bought the product so I'm fine with that.

But.....he problems I have had are:-

1) It requires re-setting every time a different appliance is used. This looses the time and also the cost per kWh. I emailed the company who were very helpful and confirmed this.

2) The batteries supplied have nearly run down as the screen has started to fade more each time I use it.

3) The reset button (a tiny pointed object requires inserting in to a small hole to activate) has now dissappeared inside the casing (which has security screws so is not designed to be opened).

I will be sending it back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Low cost measurement of energy use in the home, 13 Oct 2011
This review is from: Energenie Power Meter (DIY & Tools)
I had a close look at various products offered by Amazon for measuring energy usage in the home. In the end I opted for this product on the grounds of simplicity and cost. It has proved to have been an excellent choice. It has English square pin plugs so the first thing I had to do was to create extension leads with European plug and socket. This also made the device easier to position when connected to such items as fridges where the sockets are often in accessible. By a simple repeat pressing of a key on the pannel a variety of useful data is displayed. The voltage comes first with the frequency of the mains. Then one gets the current in amps, then instantaneous power drawn in watts followed by a maximum instantaneous power in watts since connecting the device. Other data follows in turn on pressing the key successively including the total energy taken since connection in kWh. There is a facility to set up two charging rates with their respective hours of application. Thus the total cost of running for example a fridge can be measured even when the cost varies with the time of day. There is also a 24 hour clock (you can set it to the English method of am and pm if you wish). I have few criticisms they are (i) the clock starts at zero again after 24 hours - it would be nice to have a date function so that long periods can be recorded without having to take a written not of the connection date and time. This is especially relevant when measuring consumption of eg washing machines and driers that are used irregularly at different times of day and at different settings and where power various dramatically during the cycles. (ii) The energy consumed in kWh is stated to one place of decimals. Thus a steady consumption - eg a computer or a TV on standby has to be inferred from reading of current, voltage and time elapsed unless left connected for over a week or more. Three places of decimals would be ideal in this situation. (iii) The instructions need to be amplified and rewritten in good English and not merely "googled" from Japanese or Chnese! They were the worst aspect of the product. Overall a first class product for the money!

2.0 out of 5 stars product instructions wrong, 13 Oct 2011
This review is from: Energenie Power Meter (DIY & Tools)
I bought this product to check the cost of running a range of electrical items, which is what most customers will be doing. The instructions say that you can clear the total KWh used by pressing the function key for 5 seconds. This is not correct and the manufacturers should have changed the instruction sheet by now.

Other readings can be cleared by holding down the function key, but not the total energy used. This is a serious fault in the product as you have to reset everything [clock, cost per unit etc] every time you want to check a different electrical item. I should have read the product reviews before buying!

As others have said, the meter is almost impossible to read when plugged in, but it does retain the information when removed from the socket so that's not too much of a problem.

1.0 out of 5 stars Energenie Power Meter purchased Nov.2013, 14 Dec 2013
This review is from: Energenie Power Meter (DIY & Tools)
I have not been able to follow the instructional leaflet with any success !
I had read the reviews before purchasing the power meter and found them helpful,so I revisited the customers reviews and found they had all been removed. The product would appears to be useful. So I award ZERO points, for the present. Paddy .

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor build quality, 25 Oct 2013
Gregory R. Smith (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Energenie Power Meter (DIY & Tools)
The screws holding the battery cover on are very low quality and difficult to remove. I'm a retired maintenance engineer so I know how to use a screwdriver. Eventually I needed my son to press down on the top of the screwdriver whilst I used grips to turn the screwdriver shaft. That only served to remove the slots in the screw head. So I then had to drill out the screw head. Fortunately the second screw came out eventually and the cover still holds the batteries in place with just 1 screw. If you have the same problem don't drill out the screw return it for a replacement and quote this feedback.
Otherwise it works fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good little device, 8 Jun 2013
This review is from: Energenie Power Meter (DIY & Tools)
I found this very useful it took me about ten minutes to setup then simply plug in any electrical appliance and it shows exactly how much energy its using, how much its costing to run and how many days its been in use, the only bad thing is you have to reset it every time you move it from one device to another as it keeps the costing's from the previous device until reset, but altogether a well worth while buy

5.0 out of 5 stars Power Meter, 27 Jan 2013
This review is from: Energenie Power Meter (DIY & Tools)
I chose this product because I can use it to measure the energy consumption of individual appliances over a given time period.
I was able to check the fridge, freezer, stereo, tv, computer etc and then decide which were running economically.

Energenie Power Meter