on 12 September 2009
The underlying theme of Dan Cederholm's books is that craftmanship is the essence of good web design. The web craftsman seeks to ensure that each element of a design is built using robust code that will adapt to the requirements of different browsers and user display settings. Every aspect of the interface, no matter how small, deserves the designer's full attention and respect.

This concept is made explicit in 'Handcrafted CSS'. Through the book Dan quietly unfolds the most persuasive case I've yet read that web designers should be using CSS3 now to enhance designs for those browsers that can support it. He shows how to use incredibly useful CSS3 tools such as border-radius, rgba and transition effects without damaging the user experience of those with older browsers. There's also a very useful discussion of the merits of using the 'clearfix' method to clear floats: Dan supports it, but with some significant caveats.

As with his previous books Dan focuses on the design techniques that designers actually use, day-in-day out. Five years or so after their first publication his earlier books 'Web Design Solutions' and 'Bulletproof CSS' are still by my desk. 'Handcrafted CSS' is more of the same, and highly recommended.

As a bonus the book includes a fine chapter by Ethan Marcotte discussing fluid grid designs. If time or opportunity allowed a full book by Mr Marcotte would be most welcome!
on 29 September 2009
This is the second title that I own by Dan Cederholm. His books are a must for any web designer. Although the books will not teach you the basics of CSS or HTML, they will give you a full insight into the workings of a professional websites. This book is a must, the only down side to this book is that it is only 220 pages, I would love it to be twice the size.
on 11 August 2010
This is the 2nd of Dan's books I've bought, and it's definitely worth the money. After reading his Web Standards Solutions markup book, I was eager to buy more of his CSS books. Both books are great for reading, but are also a great reference book that you can always refer back to.

Handcrafted CSS is beautifully presented, with a lot of screenshots, which is particularly imported in any CSS book. The designs demonstrated are modern, clean and web 2.0. The book also covers various CSS3 properties as well, and gives examples for browsers that don't yet support CSS3 (IE!!!!).

The only downside I would mention, and I think it has also been mentioned by other people as well, is that this book is just over 200 pages. I wish it was twice as long!
on 16 January 2011
I bought this book upon to start learning the styles of CSS and thought it covered a lot of basic and advanced stuff that CSS can provide and also going into what the browser compatibility meant that the mark up of the CSS needed to look like so that the CSS would look typically the same in each browser, even though it described CSS3 it still told you what was needed if the CSS3 didn't work in IE 7 browsers and older then there was a solution to what was needed to correct the problem so the style of the web page would not be disturbed.

Overall the book is a really good source tool and good to have beside you when designing websites. A good and well written book and it gets right into detail so you won't get bored when reading this book.
on 11 January 2011
I read this books as a CSS and Javascript novice (not its intended audience). I had cobbled together a few web pages through trial and error, and was dissatisfied with them, although I didn't know why.

Many CSS books are boiler plated with reference material, lists of attributes and classes. Dan CederHolm's book is different. It gave me insight into how to design CSS to interact with HTML and Javascript (I was using Prototype), and how to make my web pages more `object oriented'. I went back and rewrote my pages to be more compact and more maintainable.

As a beginner, I highly recommend this book. The other reviews say that it's a good book for advanced users too. Well done Mr Cederholm.
on 4 October 2009
The problem I find with a lot of CSS books is they tend to cover the basics, and aren't much use to a working professional. This book however is an exception. It discusses CSS 3 techniques in some depth, and how they can be applied to real world projects today. I always say that if you get one great idea from a book then it's almost always worth the asking price. I got several from this book.

Definitely gets a thumbs up from me!
on 23 June 2010
I know its crazy, but I actually enjoyed reading this book! Many IT books are boring, uninspiring and gernerally seem to enjoy showing us wanna be computer geeks that we cant hack it!

But this book is different. It's fresh, totally clear and has certainly changed the way I code websites.

The total beauty of this book is the was it was written. Dan Cederholm writes like your his friend (well IMHO) and unlike many IT textbooks, I actually read it from cover to cover.

I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone interested in developing their CSS skills.
on 22 December 2010
An inspiring read. technically well thought out and well written. Using just one chapter to sort out my website was worth the purchase price. You do however have to have some knowledge of HTML & CSS before hand. This is not a beginner's book.
on 20 October 2014
It's a brilliant book for junior developers. It covers all the basic parts and has several best practices. Although it's a bit outmoded since it's written several years ago but I highly recommend it for your book library.
on 30 November 2012
I love this book! It goes in to so much detail and covers so much that even a complete beginner could use it to start with CSS.