1,321 Reviews
 (1,039)

5.0 out of 5 stars A godsend for cat-heavy areas
We didn't purchase our SureFlap through Amazon, but rather directly from the main site.
Both our cats were chipped at an early age and have always used a catflap, however we were having frequent problems with neighbourhood tomcats intruding and spraying during the day and night.
Published on 4 Oct 2009 by CodeMonkey

3.0 out of 5 stars Sureflap cat flap
Published on 27 Aug 2010 by J.Clark (surrey)

5.0 out of 5 stars A godsend for cat-heavy areas, 4 Oct 2009
Unfortunately one of our cats was not picked up by the chip scanner. We discussed this over email with the MD of sureflap who was incredibly helpful, going so far as to personally visit us to check the fitted catflap. Although he'd brought a replacement catflap with him in case ours was faulty, we discovered that the chip had slipped position in the cat thus meaning that it was not recognised appropriately by the flap.
Sureflap's MD had brought extra chips with him together with some small containers that would fit on a cat's collar. We now use one of these for the cat with the non-functioning chip and everything works as hoped for.
We would buy another one of these if required without hesitation. Well worth the money - our cats are much more relaxed as they can see neighbourhood cats trying and failing to get in. A genius product made by a company who actually understand the value of customer service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Freedom for cats! And their owners!, 15 Dec 2011
Martin A (Normandy, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sureflap Microchip Cat Flap (Misc.)
My girlfriend and I had both tried magnetic catflaps and had decided that they were a marginal solution:

- The cat has to wear a collar and there are stories of cats getting their collars tangled in bushes and being unable to get free.

- Every now and then a cat would come home minus a collar (no idea how it lost it but it did).

- The mechanism of magnetic catflaps is at the margin of what can be operated by the weakish pull of a small magnet. (One would only work properly after I dismantled it, cleaned moulding flash off the parts and then reassembled it - probably not something your granny would find easy to do).

- The cats would sometimes come home with bits of iron - old nails etc - picked up by their magnets. These items would then jam the door.

- A big ownerless tomcat found he could force open the magnetic catlap. He would then terrify my girlfriend's cats, eat all their food, pee around the house and bugger off again.

A year or so ago, I bought a Sureflap catflap for my microchipped cat. She quickly learned to use it and it has been completely trouble free since then. Batteries seem to last forever - I have not kept a record but my guess is perhaps six months. I replace them when the voltage falls to 1.4 volts (rather than wait for the low-voltage warning to flash).

Its reliability means I can now leave my cat at home when I go away for the weekend and have no worries about her being trapped inside or shut out. (She much prefers staying at home to making a 1 hour trip to a place where there are other cats that don't like her.) It seems more robust than the magnetic catflap - no problems with other cats barging in.

Not wanting to cut a hole in an expensive and handsome new oak door, I cut a hole through my exterior wall at its thinnest point (18 inches). I lined the hole using an aluminium tube but, if I were doing it again, I'd use a section of PVC drainpipe.

A newly acquired young cat learned to use it very quickly, having watched her co-cat coming and going.

My only criticism of the catflap is that it has a 1.5mm gap between the flap and the frame. Although (according to my calculation) this amounts only to about 1/2 a square inch of area, a cold draught is noticable when a strong cold wind is blowing.

MY SUGGESTION TO SUREFLAP: ADD A PLASTIC FIBRE SEAL AROUND THE FLAP LIKE SOME NON-ELECTRONIC CATFLAPS USE.
[ Note added 22 December 2011: My suggestion to Sureflap is too late - they now have a fibre seal as standard. So my sole criticism no longer applies. ]

I recommend this catflap highly. It's worth having your cat chipped in any case and the reliability of the flap means that the cats can come and go as they wish. I too can come and go as I wish without leaving the cats either shut in or shut out. And no problems with unwelcome stranger cats coming in.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note added 22 December 2011

Changing the Front Frame
------------------------

If you look below, you'll see that Sureflap responded to my review and offered to supply their latest front door, which incorporates fibre sealing against draughts. I phoned them and, less than a week later, a kit "Mark 5 Front Frame Replacement" arrived here in Normandy. It included a large sheet with colour pictures showing how to replace the existing front with the new one. (No words, just a sequence of colour pictures.)

You do the following:
- Undo four cross-head screws and remove the cover, having removed the batteries.
- Pull out the printed circuit board with electronics and sensors.
- Lift out the actuating motor.
- Pull off the old actuating cam from the motor with pliers and push the new cam into place.
- Replace the motor and the electronics board in the new front frame, not forgetting the transparent covers for the sensors.
- Replace the cover (being careful the motor wires are in their correct place and are not trapped)
- Replace the batteries and check with a test cat.

There are white wires between the cover and the printed circuit board that seemed rather short and looked easy to break but nothing untoward happened. As soon as I replaced the batteries, there was a reassuring clunk from the actuating motor.

After I had put the catflap back in to operation, I realised that I could probably have simply changed the door, rather than the complete front frame. (I can't guarantee this is possible as I did not try it.) This would have avoided needing to manipulate delicate wiring. Replacing the front frame should only be done by someone who is reasonably dextrous.

Final result: The cat flap works fine with its new door and the knife-like jet of cold air has disappeared.

A FINAL COMMENT
I have been impressed with the reponsiveness of Sureflap. In addition to replacing the front frame, they responded quickly to an entirely different question I had asked them via their website. Their reply was all I needed but they also told me to get back in contact if I needed more help.

(I remember some years back trying to ask a question via the website of the maker of a non-electronic catflap. After I had typed in my question, their site responded "only questions from UK accepted". I am in France and I was left unimpressed by that maker.)

Note added 21 November 2013
The flap is still working perfectly nearly two years after installation. Batteries last seven to eight months.

5.0 out of 5 stars No more Mr Bad Guy!, 22 Sep 2010
H. Wright "Amazon Addict" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sureflap Microchip Cat Flap (Misc.)
Finally we no longer have next doors ginger tom invading our space. This cat flap is brilliant, I was dubious at spending so much money on a cat flap I will admit but my poor cat was being terrified by the neighbours cat so something had to be done. It was delivered quickly, it was very simple to put in place, the tricky part was trying to get my little darling through the flap so it would register her chip, but after 25 minutes and a lots of treats we were there and after lots of sniffing and the occasional jump at the flap clicking shut she is using it like its always been there and no longer do we have uninvited visitors which has made her much more relaxed and a generally much happier cat. One thing I was worried about was that sometimes when she is being chased she does come through the cat flap at quite a speed and I was worried it wouldn't register her chip in time but it does so if that is a fear for you don't worry.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sureflap cat flap, 27 Aug 2010
The idea for this product is brilliant, but unfortunatly I found this didn't work as good as I thought it might. It scanned and memorised my cats ok, but only let one of them in when in the normal mode and in all fairness to Sureflap customer support, they were very helpful in trying to put the problem right, quick on responding and sending me replacement units, ( i'm on my third now ).It seems like the problem is in the scanning area, as I watched my cats trying to get in,it seemed to work ok for the cat who "nosed" its way through the flap and as for my other cat who tended to use its paw to open the flap, it didn't work at all,he gave up trying eventually. Which makes me think that if the scanning range was slightly better over a wider area it would pick up cats who tended to stand slightly one sided to use their paw to try opening the flap and not getting in the range of the scanner. Maybe I've got an odd cat! I'm not sure but I hope that this review may help someone decide on getting one of these units or not, depending on how their cat try's to "nose or paw" their way through normal cat flaps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best catflap on the market, 16 Feb 2010
A Kid's Review
I purchased my sureflap catflap approximately one year ago and I still love it!!

I deliberated between purchasing this or the competitor at the time and am so glad with my decision. The competitor was not only asthetically displeasing, but ran off the mains, so needed to be plugged into a socket, wouldn't work during a powercut (of which my area suffers from a few) and the sales pitch on the Internet was not only pushy but really weak and really made up my mind for me.

I have three cats in total - two normal size cats (4kg) and one 8kg beast! All of them manage to use the sureflap without any difficulties. I sensibly ensured that all of my cats microchips registered with the unit before fitting it to my door, all of which was really easy to do. That's it really - it's been working perfectly ever since and my cats love it! I have changed the batteries once in this time, when the indicator light came on and have not experienced any wear and tear issues - considering that I have three moggies it does get alot of use. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend or purchase another.

Now I am just waiting for a catflap to be designed that does not allow my cats to bring in mice!

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to fit, easy to use!!, 6 Jun 2012
This review is from: Sureflap Microchip Cat Flap (Misc.)
This is a very good product if you are prepared to spend the money doing it properly. We wanted to fit it to a double glazed door which meant getting a new panel, that set us back 135 so make sure you know what you need beforehand. Once the catflap arrived and we got a mounting adaptor, absolutely no problem at all. If your cat is unsure at first, even if you have to 'make' them go through it, as quick as they are, the sensor will scan the chip an you're done, no worries!!

The only thing I would say is that, like other buyers have found, this is only 'ok' for medium to large cats, my cat (approx 5.5 kg) loves going in and out as he chooses but if he got any chunkier it would certainly be a tight squeeze! Having it mounted in a french patio door also means it is quite high but your cat will adapt whatever...it's just not as nice as having someone open the door for you every time! Our cat wasn't sure about pushing his face against it, but now he uses his paw as well, he is happy.

Very good product, reasonably priced for what you get, do your research, this is definitely the best product of its kind out there. Totally worth it, don't let other reviews put you off, if your cat has a normal microchip, there will be no problems. Just wish it was a little bigger that's all..... thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cat Liberation!, 20 July 2009
P. Andrew (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought and installed my Sureflap 3 months ago, having identi-chipped Miso the cat. Because of neighbouring cats, and our irregular hours, a normal catflap has never been an option, so we have been stuck with a litter tray with all the attendant expense and pong. Sureflap has been the perfect answer. It is a well-made product, with a durable look and feel about it. Miso learnt it in less than 30 seconds - despite having not had a flap for several years, and the fact that the Sureflap has a momentary delay in unlocking while the cat is "security checked'. We are liberated from the litter tray, and she is so thrilled to have finally been given "the key to the door" that - at the venerable age of 15 - she has developed a new and extremely endearing trick: performing head-over-heels just outside the door! I can't guarantee this effect for your cat, but I can whole-heartedly recommend the Sureflap to all cats and owners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Purfect, 14 Sep 2009
We bought our Sureflap about a year ago in response to constant visitors using our normal catflap. I was a bit worried at first because we had a new glass pane fitted for the manual Staywell flap - but the Sureflap also fitted perfectly.
At first we had some small issues which have turned out to be related to the type of Microchip in our cat and metal frame around the glass hole interfering with the signal. But Sureflap have been no end of help, sending us test flaps with increased power, modified tunnels,range testing kits - all sorts to help finally give 100% reliability.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace of mind in a cat flap, 25 July 2009
When I decided to get a cat flap for my timid cat I did my research and came up with Sure Flap.
It works like a dream - my timid cat enjoys coming and going when he chooses and is much happier and more confident. I have the peace of mind to know he has a safe haven to come back to.

He used it (in non-microchip) mode immediately with no problem, but took about a week to get used to it being switched on as it clicks when it scans the cat and releases the security latch to let the cat flap open. He jumped a few times at first but soon got used to it. He is now much more independent and it's so sweet the way announces his departures and arrivals with a meow! He loves it.

4.0 out of 5 stars SureFlap, 14 May 2010
J. Holt (Devon) - See all my reviews
I totally agree with all other comments. It took my cat some time to get used to the "click" - I disabled it for a week or so, but now she's fine. Now we don't need to worry about marauding mogs coming into the house. The only downside is that we are prone to easterly winds and guess which direction the catflap faces!! There is a tiny gap around the flap itself which allows in quite a draught - someone else mentioned a brush fit which would be a good idea. Otherwise brilliant.

Sureflap Microchip Cat Flap