Style Name: Non HRM|Colour Name: Grey|Change

on 9 July 2011
I bought my Garmin last September (9 months ago). Love the operation and features. However, unfortunately, it died this week. Since buying it, the screen has fogged up regularly - despite not using it in the water (just occasionally running in the rain but not often). On Tuesday, I got it out of the cupboard, it beeped at me one last time, and then has been dead ever since. What's worse is that the screen has now fogged up completely - not moisture, appears that the screen has de-crystalised if that's possible. Having checked the support web-sites (Garmin + runners websites), it appears that this is a very common problem and I suggest you scan them prior to parting with any money. Some people claim to be on their 2nd or 3rd replacement from Garmin - so, you have to question the quality of build. Shame - as otherwise a great device.
on 21 December 2011
I've had my Garmin Forerunner 110 for approx. 4 months now and am very happy with it.

The display shows the 3 most important data items during a run: distance, elapsed time and current lap pace. All are easy to read, and the backlight (activated by a button) stays on long enough to be able to read the information in the dark.

The buttons are large enough to be able to be used with gloves on (can you tell I'm writing this review in December?), and the additional sound feedback means you don't have to take your eyes off the road/path for too long.

Battery life is great. Obviously, the battery gets charged every time you connect the watch to your computer for uploading your run data. However, I only leave the unit connected for the duration of the upload and disconnect it immediately afterwards. I leave the watch switched on at all times but GPS turns itself off automatically after a couple of minutes if you're not in timer mode; this extends battery life considerably. My average weekly exercise pattern with GPS on is 25 mins of cycling 4-5 days a week plus 3 runs of 30-60 mins each per week, and I find I only have to fully re-charge the watch every 7-10 days.

The watch feels very light on the wrist, and its small size compared to some of the other GPS units out there means that it's great to wear as an everyday watch as well.

Serious runners (well, more serious then myself, anyway) will probably be looking at watches that offer more advanced functions such as support for interval training, training plans, etc. which the Forerunner 110 does not have. Having said that, the Forerunner 110 is the ideal watch for those who are just starting out or who are looking to move up from a simple stop watch or the Nike+ system. In fact, if you are reading this in order to help you decide between Nike+ and the Forerunner 110, I'd recommend you spend the extra; it is more than worth it for the convenience and accuracy of a GPS-enabled watch.
on 30 May 2011
I bought one of these back in January, mainly because it was reasonably priced and not huge like the previous models.

Since using it I have noticed 2 main problems:

1. It steams up on cold days. Extremely annoying as the main reason I bought it was to monitor my progress WHILST running and not just afterwards. Garmin customer services fobbed me off. I did return for a replacement however this cost me on postage. And yes you guessed it - the replacement steams up too!
2. It often takes ages to get a satellite signal. Some occasions I have gone outside geared up for a run only to have the message `searching for satellites' to be displayed for up to 5 MINS!! So I spend the first part of my `run' walking down the path with a confused look on my face looking at my wrist. Unacceptable in my opinion.

I will do more research when buying my next GPS watch. The only reason I didn't do so this time was because I thought the name Garmin was the number 1 model when it comes to anything navigational. Big mistake - DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.
on 25 February 2012
I have been after this watch for ages and have been reading reviews and keeping my eye on prices. Eventually I took the plunge and bought it, I can safely say it is now my favourite gadget. I wear it as a watch all the time and turn on gps as and when needed. I have logged loads of activities from 5 mile walks to walking the kids to the bus stop for school. And, using the heart rate monitor, I record all my runs, the heart rate info is amazing. I find the data on the garmin connect site really fascinating, and love being able to see how hard I worked on hills etc, also if I do a short sprint in my run, I can see my top speed so I can keep improving on it. It is a very simple watch to use. I love the calorie counter too.
My only negative is it's only one metre water resistant - my other watch is a casio baby g which i wore in the shower/bath and when swimming - I shall have to remember to take this off for those activities!
As this is my first gps watch I can not compare it to others but all in all, I think it's great. Would definitely recommend.
on 14 July 2010
Im a British Army Physical Training Instructor, I have had this watch for 2 weeks now, used it on 1.5 Mile Fitness Tests,4,6,8 and 12 Milers, Ive had no problems at all (so far). I've found the watch extremely helpful at helping me keep the squad at the correct pace to pass the required tests. Worth the money if you like to know how far you have run/tabbed and at what pace/speed. Also when not being used has a GPS unit is the same size and weight as a normal watch.
on 14 July 2012
I purchased this watch over a year ago from Amazon and was initially pleased with it but after going for a 40 minute run in the rain this week (11 July 12) the watch has stopped working altogether and I have now discovered that this appears to be a common fault with the design.

The inside of the display was steamed up with condensation and the ingress of moisture has compromised the internal electronics of the device.

This a serious design fault for a product sold to runners and walkers. Amazon should withdraw the watch from sale until Garmin can redesign the housing with more effective seals.

Not recommended for purchase.
on 10 June 2010
Hi,

I have been looking at purchasing a GPS watch for over a year now and so I finally took the plunge. Received the Forerunner 110, charged it, got on the bike and took it for a test. It is really simple to operate and a doddle to upload the activity data to Garmin Connect. I have taken it out on three outings so far and each one has been problem free (except me forgetting to stop the watch). Worthy of the 5 stars to date, and will update more when I have used it more extensively.

Cheers,

Baz
on 3 January 2012
Please see [...] for a more in depth review

As you can imagine, the FR110 has been stripped of many elements that Garmin has in their higher end spec watches. The big question is, have they stripped too much away and removed all functionality of the watch, or does it work well?

It would be easy to talk about what this watch doesn't have, but that is not the point of this review. What the Forerunner 110 does, it does well. It is a simple GPS watch which will support Herat Rate.

It can be purchased in a few different colour options, with a women' specific watch (which comes in pink; surprise surprise!) also included in the range. It looks like a normal sports watch so can be used for day to day use, not like a laptop which previous GPS sports watches looked like.

It is lacking a lot of features that you find on a number of Garmin's, but if you want:

*GPS to measure distance,

*automatic workouts, for interval training
*limited data fields to see what is happening on your run
*Garmin courses
*Virtual Pace

Then the FR110 is for you.

If many of those features above don't make any sense or sound like something you don't need then the certainly purchase the FR110. It is so simple to use, with no way of messing around too much with the device to stop it working.
on 23 February 2012
When this watch works I love it but after 2 faulty units I'm having to return it for a refund. Both times it worked perfectly initially and then for no reason at all it just dies. It won't switch on or charge at all. It's just a blank screen. Such a shame as my brother has the men's version and with the exception of the odd giving it a wiggle to get it charging it works great.
on 3 January 2012

*automatic workouts, for interval training
*limited data fields to see what is happening on your run
*Garmin courses
*Virtual Pace

Then the FR110 is for you.