4.0 out of 5 stars Good for novice runners
The Garmin 110 is a light, comfortable GPS watch that provides a simple way for the novice runner to keep track of their fitness progress. Even for those with slim wrists, it can be worn as a normal digital watch without appearing ridiculous, and a full charge offers several days of use as long as the GPS is not being used.

With GPS active, locking onto the...
Published on 22 Feb. 2012 by Calvin

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor product - terrible customer service
<<< I've edited my previous positive review here to reflect the terrible service I've received from Garmin, following persistent satellite link issues with my Forerunner 110 >>>

Published on 18 Jun. 2010 by R. B. OMalley

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for novice runners, 22 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Garmin Forerunner 110 GPS Running Watch - Grey (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)

With GPS active, locking onto the satellites is generally quick in an open area, perhaps taking 10 seconds, but in built up areas it's a different story, and can take... well, as long as it takes to find an open-ish space with a clear route to the sky! When running a route regularly in a built up area, it's best to find a spot early on where you know the watch is able to locate the satellites, stand still, and wait for the GPS to lock (rather than trying to lock the GPS on the move and being continually frustrated when the signal strength returns to zero). Once the GPS has locked, it tends to remain locked, even if building density increases during the run. Occasionally, a change of route is needed to lock the GPS in built up areas.

Functionality is simple on the watch itself, and when the data is uploaded to the website via the usb lead, you can conduct a more in-depth analysis of your run, including route, elevation, split times, fastest and slowest pace etc. All runs are automatically entered into a calendar, so it's easy to see how frequently you are running in any given week/month/year. The only slight disappointment is that during a run, while the watch does display the runner's pace, it appears there is no way to set mileage targets, and there is no alarm function to let you know whether you're above or below your target pace. Also, the menu functions can be a little fiddly to begin with, but after a few runs they become familiar.

Overall, the Garmin 110 encourages more frequent running, and ad hoc runs become much more enjoyable, as there is no need to have to record times manually and spend time plotting the route into Google Maps when you get home!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 23 May 2011
My wife bought me this watch for my birthday, and i'm thrilled with it! Incredibly easy to set up, after a quick charge, and inputting a few details (weight, height, age etc) you are ready to go! The watch located a signal within 30 seconds, and its as simple as pressing start and off you go. The face is easy to read and it's comfortable and lightweight, the heart rate monitor is comfortable and automatically synced with the watch straight away. I'm currently training for a marathon and fount the wealth of information available at a glance really useful. To me( a stats geek!) the information about your run available on the garmin website is fascinating, to be able to see every detail of your run laid out in an easy to understand and comprehensive way is the cherry on the cake! Far more in depth than the Nike plus website, I really think this has been designed for runners BY runners. Essential.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Garmin 110 GPS watch, 1 Nov. 2010
I've given this five stars.

I had tried on some of the 105, 205, 310, and 405 watches and I was generally unhappy with the size / comfort of them. Especially the 405 range - they're really uncomfortable for someone with small wrists, as even though you'll be able to adjust the strap to fit you okay - the back facing on the 405s don't fit snug against the forearm part of your wrist (again that's just for people with small wrists.)

The 110 fits very comforably. I went for the version without heartrate as I don't have a requirement for heartrate. I think the watch looks plain but nice. You could get away with wearing this as a normal watch. It also looks nice when the blue backlight is operated.

Functionality. This is the ideal watch for me. I haven't connected it to a pc yet as I was I'm only just back from injury and haven't had much time to check out pc features yet. I deliberately went for the simpler option of the 110 gps as I don't want to get too caught up in after training analysis (Analysis is Paralysis!)

The watch comes with a small user manual that's very easy to read and understand so I'd advise any purchaser to read that.

In the set up you can select your 110 gps watch to measure your PACE or your SPEED. You can amend your set up at any stage in the future so don't be afraid to experiment. I have mine set up to measure my PACE. You're also asked to set the units at miles or km. And you're also asked to set lap distances. I have my watch on Miles, and I set my lap distance to 0.25 Mile. You can turn the alarm beep on / off (it beeps every lap unless you turn the beep off.)

My watch takes about 1 minute approximately to locate the satelites at which point you can press the start button to begin your run. One day I started my run while it was still locating the satelites with the intention of pressing "start" when the satelites were located but it was taking ages and ages and the progress bar was fluctuating but never completing. After about five minutes I decided to stop running and wait for the satelite location to complete. Once I stopped running it took about just 30 seconds to complete the satelite location. I don't think that's a fault though. I imagine that you need to be stationary while the gps device locates the satelites and running during this phase disrupts the process. So my advice is if you've already bought this watch or if you're thinking of buying one - DON'T start your run until the satelite location is completed.

When using the settings as described above (MILES, PACE, lap 0.25 mile) - when running, on the display you'll have three readngs.
1) Main reading in the centre of display - The total time elapsed since you started your run
2) At the top of the display in small digits - The total distance elapsed since you started your run
3) At the bottom of the display - The current pace (e.g. 8:30) - with my settings as described, means in this example my current pace is 8 min 30 sec miles.

Every lap (0.25 mile in my case) it beeps (you can turn the beep off if you like.) Every time you complete a lap the display gives new info for a few seconds (you can also press "ok" when the "last lap" info is displayed to get back to your normal display.) The three readings on the "last lap" display are:

1) Main reading in the centre of display - The time taken to run last lap
2) At the top of the display - The distance of the last lap (this is obviously what you set your lap at, i.e. 0.25 mile in my case.)
3) At the bottom of the display - The average pace of the last lap (for example, average 8 min 20 sec / miles pace for that lap)

Finally at the end of your run, press the stop button. Then hold the reset button (it prompts you to hold if for a few seconds.) At that point the watch then re-calculates your average pace for the WHOLE of the run and saves it to the history. Simple. Perfect.

As of yet I haven't experimented further with what it can do when connected to a pc. But I purchased it primarily for the uses outlined above. It's ideal (for me) plus from a hardware point of view it's superb. I've given it five stars without hesitation, and if I'm happy with additional features when I eventually rig it up to my pc - I'd give it six stars then if I was able to !!!

The watch delivered free to me in Ireland by Amazon UK. Thanks for that.

Noel,
County Cork.
Ireland.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor product - terrible customer service, 18 Jun. 2010
R. B. OMalley (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews

After about 18 months of occasional use, my Forerunner 110 intermittently became unable to find satellites. The problem got worse and worse, and, after getting bored of standing outside my flat for 20 minutes in the cold before a run, I decided to send it back to Garmin for repair - paying a £60 maintenance fee. I promptly received a reconditioned watch back from Garmin, with a 90 day warranty.

After 91 days, the reconditioned watch started experiencing the same problem, even worse than my original. It wouldn't find satellites at all. On calling Garmin support I was condescendingly told that, obviously, it was a software issue (of my own making), because I hadn't run a software update when I received it (since they send out hardware with out-of-date software installed as standard).

This did nothing to alleviate the problem. Garmin Support now (condescendingly, again) insist that, because it's outside of the warranty period, my only course of action is to pay another £60 maintenance fee and get another reconditioned watch.

Do not buy Garmin products.

1.0 out of 5 stars Continually refuses to connect to computer, 22 Oct. 2013
Bought two of these - one for me, one for daughter. Both suffer from the same hugely annoying problem that it won't reliably connect to our respective PC's to allow the download of data. Two different watches, two different PC's, same problem. I've tried every available 'fix' on the internet. None work. A great shame, as when it does work, its great. But after every run, you are left tearing your hair out trying to get it to connect. DON'T BUY!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple GPS watch that works well, 11 Oct. 2010
I've had a Garmin 205 for a while and was attracted to the 110 for it's small size and ease of use. The sattelite connection is much faster that the 205, no more hanging around in the cold waiting for the connection to complete. It lacks the ability to plan training sessions but I so rarely used that feature that I can happily live without it. You can switch off the default lap counter and just use the lap button to record lap times, so you can still record an interval workout - so long as someone else is calling out the time for each effort to start and stop!

The UBS data and power clip is a bit fiddly, you have to have the connections just right for it to work - I'm not sure why they didn't use a cradle as with the 205.

If you just want to track your pace and distance then I'd really recommend this watch. It does that job really well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Job, 24 Aug. 2010
I bought the Garmin 110 because it was exactly what I was after - a GPS watch that didn't look like you were wearing a tank on your wrist and yet gave me what I wanted: Distance (plus that vital 'bleep' every KM), Time, Pace, Calories (less vital!) and an easy upload via usb (provided) to the Garmin Site. Fascinating looking at the run you just did and all the info linked to it.
I cannot fault it. I guess if you are a triathlete you'd want to investigate just how waterproof it is and for those that need the 'virtual partner' facility then this isn't for you. But for me, as I said, perfect.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great hardware, awful software, decent support; recommended, with reservations, 4 Jun. 2010
A. Lau (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I'd wanted a GPS watch for about a year, but had been put off my Garmin's previous models, which were too bulky for my small wrists, and there were reports that they were slow to pick up a satellite. I thought I'd better wait; there had to be something sleeker, cheaper and faster round the corner.

I wasn't wrong: the 110 promised to be all those things.

Receiving the watch, my immediate impressions were highly positive: it's small, not at all noticeably a GPS watch. The styling is attractive, and the finish is tight. The rubbery plastic feels just right against the skin, and the watch strap fits comfortably. Top marks to the hardware design team.

No CD-ROM was included, which was positive, as users of this device almost certainly have access to broadband. No wasted CDRs gathering dust like all the other driver discs that tend to gather up. Thumbs-down, however, for the big stack of instruction manuals in every language imaginable: I plucked off the English version, and promptly dumped the rest in the recycling bin. Wasteful.

I quickly plugged the device into my work computer to charge-up during my lunch break, and decided to give it a whirl by letting it run on the walk home from work. That's when the problems started.

The software was profoundly unresponsive, not detecting a satellite, or allowing me to cycle through the menus. A splash screen with 'Garmin' logo blinked stupidly at me. Holding 'menu' got me to a menu, but letting it go sent me straight back to the splash screen. There are only four buttons, so having tried all of them, I figured I couldn't be doing too much wrong!

Things looked up when I got home and downloaded some software off the site. Now it would pick up a satellite, and quickly too. I went for my first run, which was a revelation. Someone else wrote somewhere on the Web that it was a drawback that the device doesn't tell you how fast you're going, but that wasn't a problem for me: it beeps helpfully every kilometre to prompt me to check how fast I've run that kilometre, and usefully displays that lap time for a few seconds to let me do so.

Unfortunately, I just couldn't get the device to save a run. There's no prompt at the end of a run after pressing 'start/stop' asking you if you'd like to save what you've just done. Reading the manual more carefully (I just felt that a four-button device shouldn't need a manual), it tells me to press 'reset' to reset and save.

Now, is it just me, or does pressing 'reset' to 'save' seem somewhat counter-intuitive to someone whose been using an ordinary stopwatch for the whole of his life? I think that's poor design, and even worse that it then still didn't actually work. I'm not the world's most tech-savvy guy, but I would think that anybody who can operate a Blackberry and an iPod should be able to find his way around something with four buttons, no?

A call to UK tech support then. Hold times were reasonable for a Friday morning, about six minutes; the number is free at least. The tech was reasonably quick and courteous, and suggested I check for software updates, which I initially thought was bizarre advice; this thing was released two months ago, and the software that I had on my computer was downloaded off the Web. Surely it was as updated as it could be?

It turns out that it wasn't.

A further download of 'Web Updater' and a check for updates revealed that I had Version 2.0 of the firmware, and that 2.2 was there to download. Out of curiosity, I looked at the change history. Here it is:

Change History
Changes made from version 2.00 to 2.20:

* Fixed issue where the watch could freeze when dropping a lap.
* Fixed issue where the current activity file could fail to save.
* Changed to allow the watch to show the current activity in history.
* Changed history page to show "Today," "Yesterday," or the day of the week for the last six days rather than the date.
* Added feature to turn off the watch by holding the light key and answering yes to the prompt.
* Changed to allow all menus/lists to wrap.
* Updated translations.

'Fixed issue where the current activity file could fail to save.' Bingo. OTOH, how on earth could an 'issue' like that be allowed to persist when the product was released? If the watch can't save its history, I can't view what I've been doing on the nice Garmin website, and am forced to remember how fast/well I did last time. Someone's got to be responsible for not checking this properly, and a company with Garmin's rep shouldn't be beta-testing on its customers.

Well, the issue hasn't been fixed by the software update, which installed smoothly, and the watch is going back to Garmin to be examined. The lack of Web comment suggests this might be an isolated issue, and I'm guessing this can probably be fixed, but no way should this purchase have entailed this much fuss. The watch is well-made, connects quickly, and does track your run very well, but the software has been botched, and I can only recommend that a buyer hold on to his or her packaging very carefully until things have been checked over.

I'll come back and update this review once I've heard back from Garmin.

UPDATE, 22 JUNE 2010:

Within a week of me sending the watch back to Garmin, they sent a replacement with heart rate monitor, so a nice little bonus. That doesn't engender confidence in the original product, but customer service doesn't get better than this. I haven't tested that function yet (I don't need it, and am not keen on wearing the strap whilst running), I am happy to report that the watch itself works absolutely fine, and as expected. It still seems counterintuitive to press 'reset' to save, but now that my runs are saving, using the watch is a pleasure. Another twelve manuals in the bin, and a spare set of leads and adaptors... sigh.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it should but a bit expensive, 12 July 2010
I am returning to recreational running after a break of a few years and thought I'd get some technical assistance. This device will; record heart rate and distance travelled and so help me stay in 'the zone' and make sure that I don't increase too much each week.

I've used traditional GPS in the past (Garmin 12XL) and this device keeps a lock on satellites far better. It really does work with medium tree cover. The heart rate monitor works fine and it all worked straight out of the box. Even the online database works with my Mac. I don't really like Garmin being responsible for my data but the web application is neat and well linked into Google Maps.

Each time I've been out I've washed the watch under the tap and no problem with a lack of waterproofing yet.

Overall it does what I thought it would. It makes sense to me that it doesn't give current pace as that can waver with GPS - averaged over a km is fine with me. The worst thing is the price. I do feel it is over priced for a device with few bells and whistles - it is deliberately simple to use but could have training zones etc etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the basics very well and has great web integration, 22 Dec. 2010
I'm a regular runner and also compete in races. I've been the owner of a Garmin 201 and 301 in the past without too many problems. After a training run one night the strap pin broke for the umpteenth time on my old 301, so I decided to treat myself that night when I got home.

I'd seen some of my club members wearing newer, smaller Garmins for some time and the feedback was good. Did a bit of research on Amazon and selected the new 110 without heart rate monitor. It promptly arrived, well packaged and after a quick read of the instructions and installation of the software, I charged the watch up and then familiarised myself with buttons and features.

Used it on an evening training run without any problems, but did realise how small the display is up to my 301. I know the small size makes the watch a lot more comfortable to wear but wish I could alter the font size and customize the display like I could with my 201 & 301. Anyway, not a big problem and I've since got used to it. The watch locates satellite signal lock in about 30 seconds if you take it off and put it on top of a car or wall, away from building or tree cover. Once locked on I haven't experienced any signal problems running through wooded areas or even when my training jacket sleeve covers the watch. I do miss the training assistant feature of my old Garmin and would like it to be reinstated in a possible software update??? The strap is very comfortable & easy to use and due to the good looks & size of this new watch I'm tempted to wear it socially.

The PC connectivity is a bit fiddly at first, especially getting all four pins on the strange clamp-type connector to engage. The integration with the web-based Garmin Connect software is superb and has all manner of 'toys' for me to play with.

In summary: Good functionality, easy to use, good GPS performance, compact & comfortable, looks good, great software, little bit expensive, very basic features.