991 of 1,012 people found the following review helpful
After looking at a few comments on this product I find myself in agreement with many of the positive and even some of the negative.

Published on 18 July 2009 by Mr. Stephen A. Ransome

1,127 of 1,147 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Lost the UK Map during update
I purchased a new XL IQ Routes 2 (UK ROI & Europe) and it arrived at mid afternoon. I checked it on a short run in my car, then hooked it up to my laptop to downloaded updated maps. An hour later after updating my map I found that the update procedure (which is totally controlled by the Tom Tom software) had completely erased my UK map.

After emailing TomTom...
Published on 6 Oct 2010 by C. C. Weaver

1,127 of 1,147 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Lost the UK Map during update, 6 Oct 2010
C. C. Weaver (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

After emailing TomTom and receiving a facile email intimating that I'm technophobe. I returned the unit for a refund.

Then I found a really helpful guy in Halfords - he told me this model has a 2gb memory (and no facility to increase). It's delivered with about 1.7gb of files pre-loaded (including the UK & Western Europe Map) - but if you look at the free map update (which now includes Turkey) it exceeds 2gb - so it erases the original, finds it can't fit on the new map and offers either Central Europe or Eastern Europe instead - both are less than 2gb but neither include UK.

Tom Tom dropped a brick with this model and map update combination: The specialist suppliers are NOT recommending XL IQ Routes 2 (UK ROI & Europe) for this reason. So whatever you do DON'T DOWNLOAD A MAP UPDATE if you bought the UK ROI & Europe version until they've fixed this bug.

991 of 1,012 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, poor computer software, very poor customer service, 18 July 2009

To expound on this, I purchased the XL IQ routes ed (Europe)last Saturday for a trip around Spain next month, with the thought that I'd best get hold of one early enough to get used to the device as a) I had never owned a sat nav before (having been blessed with a pretty good personal GPS and the ability to read a map). and b) having been in cars with others who have used these devices I was concerned they may be more distracting than useful.

I picked this product based on reviews of others and a 5 minute demo from a friend, which to be honest made it look indespensable, even for the things that are often never mentioned about the device, such as the help section, which one would assume is a how to guide, but is infact a set up to get the nearest hosptial/ doctor whether driving or walking even including a first aid guide. Although I've not had to use these features, so cannot advise if any good, what a great feature!

My first trip was a known trip and on the whole it marked the way I would choose, but it still managed to save me 30 minutes off a regular journey time by throwing me down a couple of country lanes, so by now seriously impressed with the device.

So the next thing I do the same as everyone does is connect the device to their PC to make sure they have the latest maps, cameras et al.

As soon as you connect it, it installs the software already pre-loaded on the device (a really nice feature, no disc to lose woohoo!) as soon as it this application is installed (called tom tom HOME) it asks if you would like to update.

!!!IMPORTANT!!!

CLICK CANCEL, DO NOT UPDATE UNTIL YOU HAVE MANUALLY BACKED UP THE DEVICE.

that is the message you should be shown first, how aleading manufacturer of such a product can get you updating before you've backed up a working machine is unbelivable, but just a sign of today I feel, in that once they have your money they no longer care.

Of course, I was not aware and like most clicked the update button, all is well, I disconnect the device turn it on and woohoo a nice tom tom shaped paper weight.

I then spend a week battling customer services, to get this working as I cannot return the device due to it being software and excluded from 28 day returns policy.

In the end I fixed the device myself, as customer service just insisted on forwarding me pre-prepared scripts that were not able to resolve the issue. I'll not go into how I fixed it but I did have to format it and start from scratch, re-installing applications and maps, which athough I'm capable is not something I feel I should have been doing.

Anyway now the device is backed up and working and in summary it is a great product and I would highly recommend it.

Just make sure you back up the device manually before updating (guide on tomtom website) and you should be golden.

4.0 out of 5 stars Step up to TomTom, 20 July 2009
C. L. Roe - See all my reviews
TomTom XL IQ Routes Edition Satellite Navigation Unit UK & ROI
I had a Destinator3 on an Acer N35 for years until it was cheaper to buy a dedicated device than have it repaired. I wanted a mid-range SatNav of good build and quality - so I chose the best I could afford and in using it, found it far exceeds my expectations.

The menus are presented in quite an intuitive way, so you only get what you need to see at a glance. Further exploration at the lower levels of the menus reveal the hundreds of settings open to personal tweaking if and when required.

The XL IQ edition has an Easy Port which can be easily attached and removed. I tried a hard case but it was far too bulky so bought a couple of TT sleeves - one for the TT and the other for the port - fitting them comfortably into a couple of jacket pockets.

The TT is a doddle to use with clear instructions in a choice of languages and voices with volume adjustment - plus car speed setting (the volume not the car!) The displays are very clear and the brightness of the display can also be adjusted. There are many colour display choices.

I chose this model becasue it has a Lane Guidance mode which clicks on at many difficult motorway junctions I can vouch for it - excellent.

There is an icon always visible that gives quick access to put in a map correction or camera position to be added to at a later date when the car is stationary. When you go on line you can upload this information and download changes others have made. Unfortunately it does not allow change from Roundabout to Traffic Lights or visa versa. What you display on this menu is of your own choice.

A destination can be set in a variety of ways; though for some reason does not always accept a building number if it is a business.

The battery is adequate for about 1&1/2 hours - ideal for short journeys where you can't be bothered to plug in the power cord. I have deducted one star for the side angled micro-USB plug which is a fiddle to insert and to remove - sadly a design flaw in my opinion which belies the otherwise first class build quality of the device.

The Help Me section is comprehensive including First Aid and simple car maintenance advice as well as "Where am I?" and location of nearest POI - you can set up a route to them for car, walking etc plus get telephone information.

Very good value for a first class product plus 20 Cask Back after 30 days; though this does require you to cut a hole in the rather substantial wipe-clean box.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect - 4.5 stars, 1 May 2009
C. Fackrell "freddietheone" (York, UK.) - See all my reviews
This is my second TomTom navigation unit. My first was the original TomTom GO, which I gave to my father just over 2 years ago as the new company car I was given had a navigation unit in it. How I missed the TomTom! You miss the 3D-style intuitive display, the easy tap screen entry. Well, the new XL iq Routes European Edition is just great! It has a really clear display with a non-reflective surface, which is much better that the old TomTom GO shiny-screen.

The display is bigger and the unit is far quicker and more responsive to the satellite signals. I have noted some small map errors when I was in Edinburgh recently. The TomTom was trying to make me turn right into a road that was not there, it was 50 feet above me (North Bridge). I tagged the point on my unit (it says you can do this) with the intention of advising when I upgrade the maps on my computer. I have no idea where the 'tag' point went to? I browsed the map and manually advised but this feature is very cumbersome and probably not as intended, it certainly was not as I had inferred the feature. I will ask TomTom about this but the question is so obscure it may not be understood. But for this small quirk I would give it 5 stars.
I never use the voice for navigation or have need of a bluetooth link to my mobile 'phone (I use a Jabra earpiece), so those features are not needed from the product portfolio. This unit has no Bluetooth and if it had no sound it would be cheaper and for me better too.

The speed travelling and road limit on the bottom of the screen is an excellent addition.
I am yet to use it in Europe but all being well it will be as good there as here. The screen mount is wonderful, being both very solid and quick to attach and detatch.

I wholeheartedly recommend the unit. It is quick, simple, intuitive and accurate.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor service from Tom Tom, 1 Dec 2009
P. Bougeard - See all my reviews
If you purchase a Tom Tom and have no issues, they are a fantastic product. However, if anything goes wrong and you have to deal with their customer service, things turn into a nightmare. My Tom Tom went wrong when activating the blue tooth, so my advice is to stick to the basics of just letting the thing get you from A to B.

Back to Tom Tom's customer service, it took me over 8 months to finally get a replacement after this the product had been sent to Germany, Scotland and Holland. Emails unanswered, 55 minutes plus spent on the phone and numerous occasions reformatting the hard drive. I really got the distinct impression that Tom Tom were hoping that I would just give up.

Unfortunately some of their devices do have faults, but why make people endure such a protracted process before replacing items? I cannot recommend Tom Tom on any level as their customer care is a total disgrace and will leave you frustrated and angry.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly bad customer service, 26 May 2011
Let me start by saying that I was very happy with my previous TomTom XL Live Europe and had no hesitation in buying another TomTom when that one was recently damaged beyond repair. I therefore decided to buy the XL2 Europe, as I realised that I don't really use the Live services.

The problems started straight away. I had the same map size problem that other reviewers have had, but I managed to sort that aspect out myself.

I was then supposed to be able to get a speed camera installation, which also didn't work.

Lastly, I had recently purchased (less than 3 months ago) new maps and a years subscription to the map update service on my TomTom account. I contacted TomTom customer service as TomTom Home would not let me put the maps onto my new device. I have been informed me that the map update service cannot be transferred from my old, unusable, device to my new one, and they will not refund the money paid for it.

Clearly TomTom presume that all of their customers are would-be fraudsters and I will therefore be returning this sat nav to Amazon and buying a different brand. The customer service is for me a part of the product as a whole. God forbid your TomTom should be stolen/broken as TomTom really will not give two hoots. Awful awful customer service.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dumbed Down TomTom, 16 Aug 2010
M. Enever - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace my old TomTom One Europe as the battery had died. I have now used this one for two months and regret not sending it back. They have taken out many good features of the older versions.

If you are new to satnavs then this might suffice, but if you have used older models you need to seriously consider if this offers all you want and are used to from your old/current model.

Pros - It has a nice large display, seems to pick up satellite lock quickly, it is a very thin package, including the window attachment and has speed camera alerts.

Cons - They have removed some of the better features of the older type;
- no ability to view the route TomTom has chosen,
- no ability to plan an itinerary,
- no ability to change the route to avoid a specific area or road (ie if you know there has been an accident on the M1 there is no way to have it choose a route that avoids that road or part of it!)
- the map remains in the same orientation (so sometimes you are driving down or across the screen which can be disorienting when at a junction)
- you cannot adjust what is displayed on the screen (used to be able to turn specific details on or off as desired)
- you can no longer navigate to an intersection of roads

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 15 July 2010
I had a tomtom ages ago, so was really looking forward to upgrading to one with newer features. The screen is a great size & once you get used to the bit that sticks it to the screen, it attaches really well.

I had to return this device for 2 reasons. It does not warn you about the congestion zone in London. It crashed when trying calculate a route between 2 postcodes, one based in SW London, the other in NW London. If you live in London and need to get through the city, then avoid it.

If you are going to buy it, then definitely get it from Amazon, as they have a great returns policy. Do not purchase it directly from Tomtom, as they will not refund anything you've had for more than 7 days.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dire Software don't buy, 5 Dec 2009
David A. Woods (Chester UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this Tomtom on their reputation and the specification met my needs. It does everything it says it should very well. It has great functionality and is easy to use straight out of the box but there major issues with the software.

Tom Tom offer latest map guarantees and encourage you to update software on a regular basis. My experience of this is that the software upgrades are not reliable. I got several error messages on downloading the updates until eventually the whole sat nav software crashed. Even using a restore point from a previos backup had errors in it preventing the restore completing. I sent it back for a replacement.

The 2nd Tom Tom had the same issues on connecting to the Tom Tom site for updates and latest maps. Its fine if you never update!!!!

I sent the second back a got a refund and purchased a Garmin 1340T.

Its a shame, Tom Tom need to give some serious attention to debugging their software upgrades before release; its just plain sloppy for such a large company.

Coincidentally when I purchased the garmin from Halfords they confirmed that they had lots of reports of problems with Tom Tom software.

On a plus Amazon exchanged once and then refunded without argument. Great customer service.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very handy & supportive, 19 Oct 2009
Now we are both in our seventies we found we were making navigational errors, and then getting more stressed attempting to find our way back on course! Friends had recommended SatNav in general and TomTom in particular. After a few weeks scanning descriptions and reviews we plumped for the TomTom XL IQ. It was delivered within a few days and I then spent an evening with it plugged into my computer, sorting out what had to be done over the internet - a straightforward but time-consuming process.

On almost all SatNav-worthy journeys we find it more convenient to have the unit on the passengers lap rather than fiddle with the mount. We also leave the cord connected as inserting and extracting the connector is a pain - very poor design here. The two units live in a pair of old short socks in a drawer at home or in handbag or rucksack away - a remarkably cheap solution!

In use the unit is very reassuring, with both visual and audible instructions usually coming in good time; it's particularly helpful lnowing how far to the next junction. However there is no audible warning if you are crossing a main road - it just assumes you will go straight over! It has only let us down badly on two occasions, the first when it gave no audible warning of an important turn off the road and we shot past the junction; however it then quickly recalculated the route, but it was through the centre of a town we should have by-passed! The other occured when we needed instructions leaving a large educational establishment SW of Horsham only to discover that it didn't know where we were, and we had to drive on instinct for four miles until it rediscovered our whereabouts. On occasions the turn instruction comes rather later than is helpful.

I wish it were easier to intsruct the unit to plot a route using waymarks so that it takes you the way you want.

On the whole we are very pleased with our purchase and the reduction in strain we have already experienced.