4.0 out of 5 stars Good Easy Read
Good easy reading - funny account of happy memories - different things whilst growing up, family stuff/friends/antics/digs/restaurants/people he worked with/amusing experiences... along with cooking and cars....I love James Martin!
Published on 25 April 2012 by Sunny72

2.0 out of 5 stars Lost interest towards the end!
Published on 9 Feb. 2009 by steepleref

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Easy Read, 25 April 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for James Martin fanatics, 16 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Driven (Paperback)
My partner is a big James Martin fan, food and car wise and has met the guy a few times. This book did not dissapoint and my partner is not the biggest reader unless he can really get into the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for fans, 1 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Driven (Paperback)
A really interesting read with lots of good photos. If you're a fan of his shows you'll love this book as it's full of background info and interesting facts.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lost interest towards the end!, 9 Feb. 2009
I love James Martin - I have got all his cookery books, and use his recipes regularly. Having asked for this autobiography for Christmas, I was looking forward to an insight into the man that I admire. However, I was very disappointed whilst reading, as I felt that he only touched on subjects, ie., Strictly, Saturday Kitchen etc and didn't finish telling the stories that went behind them! I knew about his passion for cars, but felt again that the whole story was not told. I would have loved to have heard about how he decided to buy his house, why he decided to develop his own vegetable garden, the guests he had on Saturday Kitchen, the Ready Steady Cook Chef Strip on Children on Need, more about his Clumber Spaniel, Fudge ........... the list just goes on and on. This autobiography was obviously "ghost written" and I feel that the book could have been a more entertaining read. I know it was mainly about cars but the last chapter didn't even give the Mille Miglia ending where his car broke down!

Very disappointing read! Will stick to buying James' cook books .... at least I know his recipes are worth making.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 14 Mar. 2013
Susan 4822 (Newcastle upon Tyne) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Driven (Kindle Edition)
I am loving James Martin at the moment on TV and wanted to read more about how he got to be where he is today.

I found the book a good interesting read particularly when James first started out. Don't listen to the negative reviews , if you want to know about him give it a go it's well worth a read even though it's a few years old!

4.0 out of 5 stars Best by miles, 28 July 2014
This review is from: Driven (Kindle Edition)
Refreshing to read a book by a chef that tells you nothing about cooking, but an awful lot about determination, commitment, desire and sacrifice.

A great read, funny, sad, moving and exciting all in one well written biography by a young guy who will no doubt do a part two.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really interesting!, 30 Nov. 2008
C. Tripp (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this and am disappointed to read the other review giving it one star.

I love autobiographies and will read anyone's but I do like James Martin and enjoy watching him on Saturday Kitchen. I liked the style it was written in and couldn't put it down. He barely mentioned his stint on Strictly nor talked much about his ex-girlfriends and there are few photos of him (that aren't already on his website) so it's not a gossipy reveal-all kind of auto-biog. Though you get to read about all his chef working history and antics as a young lad growing up in North Yorks. It's full of anecdotes which I think makes a good biog rather than having to rely on the specific details of what they did and when.

But it's obviously been brought out to tie in with the Mille Miglia race which is being shown at Christmas so it is mainly about cars. I had no idea he had such a great love of cars and this shines through. Although I'm not interested much in cars myself, I shared his enthusiasm and was genuinely pleased when he got to race.

So overall I really enjoyed it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 8 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Driven (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed James Martin,s book Driven. He really is a man that lives for today and it was really interesting to hear of his upbringing and how he got into cooking and then how his love of cars took hold of him. Very enjoyable found it hard to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gif, 8 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Driven (Paperback)
Bought as a gift. VG condition and quick delivery. Cannot think of anything else to add to the review as I stated it was bought as a gift

1.0 out of 5 stars feeble patchy account of his car purchases, 2 April 2014
This review is from: Driven (Kindle Edition)
thank goodness I only paid for the kindle version; don't think it was worth even that. it felt rather impersonal and unrevealing schedule of his life except almost advertising on behalf of ferrari and his favourite car dealers. Disappointing on life as a chef almost skating over to get to the cars. Little on the interesting people he's met and quite contradictory on Anthony Worrall Thompson. For me, not worth the time or effort.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›