Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.99

on 31 May 2014
Sent me wrong book. Only cost me a couple of quid so didn't bother returning it. Think the wife might read it
on 5 September 2014
Sound
on 24 January 2010
I'm a huge fan of McGeechan, and have great respect for what he has achieved in rugby over the years, particularly with the Lions. But this book was a massive disappointment to read. I was hoping for some sort of insight into the man himself, and how his background and experiences have shaped his opinion of playing and coaching rugby.

Instead, I got a badly written book, very poorly structured and littered with inconsistencies and errors. McGeechan actually claims in the first chapter that Willie John McBride, that most famous of all Lions and capped 63 times for Ireland, played his international rugby for Scotland.

McGeechan also claims to have kept notes on every training session he has taken. I don't doubt this claim for whenever you see him coaching he always seems to have a scrap of paper to hand. However I find it surprising that one who is so organised in his professional career could be so disorganised when it comes to writing about himself. It does lead me to suspect that he didn't have anywhere nearly as much input into this book as he should have done. A shame really, as it does him no favours at all.

His public persona is of the nice man of rugby, quiet and efficient, always the team man, and someone about whom you'd struggle to find anything to dislike. But what comes across in this book is very different. At times he appears conceited, opinionated, and even petty - why after all these years, and after all he's achieved, does he still bear a grudge against a headmaster who wouldn't give him paid leave for time off to coach Scotland?

Read this book and you'll probably find your opinion of Mr McGeechan will change significantly. Looking back, I rather wish I hadn't read it myself, as I like to think of him the way I used to before I read his book.
on 5 January 2010
I have only started the book and was really looking forward to it but unfortunately my faith in the man has been shattered by this sentence on page 6 - "I was being talked about in a party which would include Scotland's Willie John McBride and Ian McLauchlan, and two supreme Welshmen, Gareth Edwards and JPR Williams." Did Geechs really write this? - surely he would know that Willie is from Ballymena and played for Ireland.

This is a serious howler that truly puts me off the rest of the book. Sorry Geechs as am a real fan.
on 31 January 2010
Great read. Covers a lot of ground in the development of todays Rugby Union and McGeechan comes over as such a passionate` Lion` and a passionate `Rugby Man`.
Excellent insight into amateur Rugby Union and the transition to professionalism.
Coverage of his Lions Tours, in every capacity, is very good.
Perfect present for anyone interested in either the Lions or the development of Rugby Union, written from the heart. You appreciate what a great player, coach and manager the man was,despite being a Scot!!
on 14 January 2010
This book would surely have been entitled The Lion King had the B@I Lions won the series. It is an interesting read. Not the most gripping but for those who followed the series it is a must read. It complements the DVD's which came out after the series and I would recommend watching and reading both.
on 16 August 2013
Enjoyed this autobiography a lot off the back of the Lions tour to Australia. Obviously a bit one-dimensional but as a rugby and Lions lover it was very enjoyable.
on 20 July 2014
What a man, words of wisdom and thoughtful and honest opinions, great read from a great coach.
on 9 December 2015