5.0 out of 5 stars It works
I bought this remote just for the IR receiver to use with my Logitech Harmony 525 Advanced Universal Remote Control. It works great.
Published on 6 Sep 2010 by Janez Sinkovec

3.0 out of 5 stars linux / xbmc
Published on 26 Dec 2011 by Al

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, 6 Sep 2010
This review is from: Speedlink SL-6399-SBK Media Remote - Multimedia PC Control (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
Installation is just plug-and-play. The IR receiver presents itself to the computer as a keyboard and each press on the remote triggers specific key press(es). These are standard for some software players like MS Media Center or XBMC but I had to configure the player of my choice - BSPlayer - to recognise the buttons I use.
This remote can also emulate mouse but I haven't even tried it because it seems impractical to me.

3.0 out of 5 stars linux / xbmc, 26 Dec 2011
Bought this as I was building an HTPC for my father, however was disappointed to find that the receiver which came with this device (this allegedly ships with one of two) was recognised as a keyboard rather than an MCE device and I have been unable to get it to function properly with a GNU/Linux base OS (lirc does not register it as an IR device) and although some keys just work, a lot do not (e.g. the home button and power buttons) - although that said: it works fine with the inbuilt Windows 7 media center software.

The remote itself is light and has a cheap plastic feel to it, but if you're using Windows and looking for a cheap remote, this will probably do the job just fine for you.

2.0 out of 5 stars "Sorry but this remote isn't 100% compatible with Windows7", 8 Oct 2011
I bought this remote for use with Windows Media Centre on Windows 7 and although it works quite well (I particularly like the dedicated button for changing aspect ratio when watching a move) there are a few problems. Firstly, the power button doesn't close the PC down like other remotes I have used (it opens the standard windows Shut down/Restart/Sleep/Hibernate screen). More importantly, the skip forward and backward buttons don't work at all. I contacted SPEEDLINK support and they said

Sorry but this remote isn't 100% compatible with Windows7.

This remote simulated shortcut from a keyboard and some shortcuts have changed with windows 7.

Best regards,
Your SPEEDLINK Support team

To their credit, they did come back within 24 hours, but without a solution.

In summary: Close, but no cigar.

1.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't support suspend, 20 Feb 2012
This remote would be fine (good price, looks ok and not too cheap) if it didn't have a serious problem: it's doesn't support suspending your media centre! When I suspend my linux media centre (but I tried with a Windows laptop too) and then wake it up with the remote itself or pressing a key on a keyboard then the remote goes crazy and keeps sending the same key press forever. The only solution is to physically unplug the USB receiver after every wake up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful but works as described, 26 April 2011
Not a lot can be said about this. The remote is a little flimsy but it works fine. Couldn't really expect anything better considering how cheap it is.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless piece of junk - stay clear, 4 July 2014
Anton R. Ivanov (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
I finally got around to try it and I wish I could give it 0 stars. In order for a remote control for a PC to be useful it needs to have an event channel or at the very least send unique keycodes. This one:
1. Does not have an event channel
2. It provides only keyboard emulation
3. It does not send unique keycodes - the muppet who designed it has made it "user friendly" so it sends key combinations. So if you for example want to map "TV ON" in your media center software to something, well, you cannot as the idiotic thing will not send a unique code - it will send scancodes for Ctrl and T sequentially instead. To add insult to injury the autorepeat on these is broken too so even if you feel like rewriting the complete keymap of let's say xbnc to match your needs it will not get you very far.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 20 Dec 2013
I ordered this remote to use it with XBMC. Basic functions such as play/pause, next/previous and the like work right out of the box.
For other keys such as the "Video" and "Music" key, I had to map keys manually inside the XBMC program itself, which was of course not difficult. In addition, I used a hotkey interceptor so that the "Home" key (which would usually launch Windows Media Center) launches XBMC instead!

All in all, I am satisfied!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well., 3 Nov 2013
I now have 2 of these to run my network servers, and they work well. The range is good and the quality as good as most bundled remotes.

3.0 out of 5 stars No IR Receiver !!!!!!!!, 23 April 2012
I understand from previous reviews that the IR Receiver can be used with other remotes, probably a coincidence, but mine came without its shrink wrap AND NO SIGN OF A RECEIVER.................

4.0 out of 5 stars Works for me!, 6 Oct 2011
In fact I only needed the red eye and a perfect driver to use with my Logitech Harmony on my Windows Media Center.
Tried a few other remotes, but none did what I needed. Until I found this one.
It's a simple, inexpensive remote, but it handles all needed commands just fine.