4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but think carefully that you really need one.
Technologically, this is an amazing device. To think that a wifi transmitter can fit into a tiny space the size of a stamp, plus 8gig of storage, is astonishing.

It works well. Firstly you plug it into your PC with the thoughtfully supplied card reader (though you can of course use any reader), and the software is installed directly off the card. Once you've...
Published on 14 Feb 2011 by Arheddis Varkenjaab

1.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for professional use
Amazing hardware, terrible firmware, software and design overall. Only works with proprietary apps, all of which on the three platforms I tried are massively flawed, unfinished and unstable. The card itself demands near-constant internet access even for local offline use, and this is "by design", as I was informed by their technical support, so that the card can...
Published on 27 Feb 2012 by Mr Jonathan Cullinane

‹ Previous | 118 19 20 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars The need for this is going down, 8 Jun 2013
Corobceanu "Dimarouk" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eye-Fi Pro X2 8GB Wireless SDHC Memory Card (Accessory)
I bought this when there were very few cameras with built in wifi. I needed it to be able to transfer photos whilst on holiday.

The device it self works very well. The reason I give 3 stars is:
-I feel it is a bit expensive
-The setup is very very complex
-I couldn't fin a way to change the setup wilst away from computer

1.0 out of 5 stars Only works when it wants, 5 Oct 2012
This review is from: Eye-Fi Pro X2 8GB Wireless SDHC Memory Card (Accessory)
I bought this WIFI memory card as I thought it's possibilities were just what I needed. I have just purchased a Panasonic FT4 waterproof camera and really liked the thought that my wife and I could transfer photos directly to Facebook and let our family see what we were getting up to. I started to set up the card on my PC and this is when the problems started, sometimes the card would read OK on the supplied reader and sometimes not, even though I did download the latest software and upgraded the firmware from the Eye-Fi site. I found that my own card reader was much more reliable than the supplied one. My experience with my Galaxy S3 Android phone proved quite trouble free and the card transferred photos OK. This was not the case however with my wife's iPhone 4S, the app that I downloaded would just not transfer the photos. In the end I had to remove all software from my PC, the iPhone, Galaxy S3 and delete my web account and start again, before I could get the app to work on the iPhone. I thought that my troubles were over, when the my camera started to report the card as being corrupted and asked me to format it again. I did this and even though the iPhone app transferred some photos OK, sometimes I would get half a photo or one I could not read at all. I think the idea if the card is good, but it just does not do what it says and is far too difficult to get working reliably and correctly. Maybe I had a bad experience though I am technically competent as I work in IT, so it is not that I have no experience with technology, but I could not recommend this product, based on my own problems.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor connectivity. Not suitable for image review., 27 Mar 2012
This review is from: Eye-Fi Pro X2 8GB Wireless SDHC Memory Card (Accessory)
What a shame. Great idea but the technology just doesn't seem to be there yet. Despite opting to transfer only small, low quality JPEGs from my Nikon D5100 (attempted to PC and also iPad) there were intolerable backlogs in the uploads. It seemed like it queued stuff up and would transfer every few minutes rather than zapping images across for instant review. In my experience it's definitely not suitable for professionals.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast and efficient storage for Photos, 25 Jan 2011
Paul B "-pb-" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Eye-Fi Pro X2 8GB Wireless SDHC Memory Card (Accessory)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Have you ever run out of space on your camera and cursed the fact that you need to fiddle around taking out the card to dump the photos? The Eye-FI might be your answer.

This 8GB SCHC card works like any other 8GB card you might put in your high level SLR or standard home digital camera, but with one important difference.

Built into the card itself is a WIFI transmitter and geotagging device. This allows the card to send your photos to a laptop, PC or straight to a photo sharing site like Flickr, automatically and then (if you choose) wipe them off the card. It's certainly an intriguing idea, but not without issues.

Firstly, the setup. I wanted to try this out with my home PC and laptop. Trying the laptop first, the software installed by plugging the supplied USB dongle in with the card inside. The setup started off easily enough but had problems recognising my wireless setup.

After a while of fiddling around I managed to get it working. Then it was simply a case of putting the card in the camera and trying it out. When it finally worked it was pretty good, transferring all my pictures to the hard drive over WIFI using 802.11n, which is pretty fast as long as you have a Wireless N compatible router.

Then I came to try this on my PC. The issue, which wasn't clear from the box, was that the software only allows one computer or source to be registered. I expect you can change this if you want to move from one to the other, but the packaging didn't make this clear.

However, aside from that the card is a great device for providing a simple way to snap and store your photos without going through the process of removing cards all the time. It even works on WIFI hotspots, as I found out in Starbucks the other day. For professional photographers who don't have a WIFI enabled camera or use several cameras and take memory intensive RAW images I can imagine this is a godsend.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely useless, 8 Jun 2013
My Camera is a relatively new Nikon 1 J1

Please don't take my review as just another rant. Read the other negative reviews and take their comments on board. I ignored them. All I wanted was a way of transmitting my photos to my computer while I was out and about so that I could preview them to other people while I was taking them. The eye-fi card sets up easily enough and with my home wi-fi network I was up and running in minutes. Yes the instructions are risible and practically no help, but most computer savvy folk could get through it as I did in a few minutes with on screen prompts.

Then came the disappointment.

I wanted to set up a direct network... that is to transfer files directly from my camera to my computer via the card without going via a fixed internet connection. For a start you either have to turn off your home network and make sure that you are not near a hot spot or walk far enough away from your house to make sure that you computer can't see your normal network. I did that and waited the 30 seconds for the card to try and join my computer and then entered the password that I had found on the eye-fi card and all I got was a connection time out error. Walked back to the house and hooked up the card to the computer, checked the password, found that I had not made a mistake. Tried again a few times and still the same... NO LUCK. The support in the online forum is absolutely no help at all and it being a Saturday none of the support centres are open for telephone support.

So next I tried to see if my iPad could log on to it. YAY it could, password worked ok for the iPa... ok, on to a good thing here. Downloaded the Eye-Fi app (for the ipad) which is FREE, and then when I tried to open it the app asked if I could put in the 10 digit key on the back of the product box (although why this is necessary I have no idea as no one would want or be able to use the app without the Eye-Fi card). Anyway, I did that only to get the result that the key had a typo in it. I checked it, and did it again. I got the same answer, even though the code was correct. Obviously I tried a few more times.

By now I had wasted most of the morning trying to get it to work and was no further.

Result, the card will not transfer the files in direct mode unless I am already in a Wi-Fi hotspot on on an existing network. The direct function, as far as I can see does not work for whatever reason and the way it doesn't work smacks of a badly joined up system and one that needs to be fixed before this is a proper product that does what you have paid it to do.

Of course, I and the other people that have written bad reviews might just have been the unlucky 30% or so of customers, but I am not a particularly stupid person, nor a professional with enormous files, so do you like those odds? Sorry not to be more positive, the concept is a very good one and I really wanted / needed it to work.

This is going straight back to Amazon on Monday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 July 2014
good~

3.0 out of 5 stars EYE FI Pro 8gb, 18 July 2010
This review is from: Eye-Fi Pro X2 8GB Wireless SDHC Memory Card (Accessory)
Found this tedious to install to laptop to use thro an ad hoc network although the help line was efficient with articulate staff...with English as a second language. Main disappointment is that Eye-fi only make this as an SD card and don't recommend using it through a CF converter despite numerous requests on their website there seems no plan to release it as a CF card.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this if you need to use it on a serious camera, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Eye-Fi Pro X2 8GB Wireless SDHC Memory Card (Accessory)
Item arrived the day after order as promised. However, six days later the converter has still not arrived, despite being assured it was shipped the day after order when I chased!!!
I have a friend who gave his converter to try on my Canon 5D MkII & 7D - both cameras could not recognise the card and would not allow it to be formatted either. I presume this device is suitable for low budget / enthusiast camera's only.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant marriage of two technologies - also works with Lumix TZ10 and Pentax K10D, 24 Jan 2011
The Fat Monk (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Eye-Fi Pro X2 8GB Wireless SDHC Memory Card (Accessory)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I saw this listed on Amazon my first thought was "Why did I not know about this?".

I read tech websites and magazines and am usually pretty up to date with what gadgets are out there... but despite having independantly thought that it would be great if someone would build a wireless add-on for digital cameras (with my thouhgts being that it would probably be incorporated either in the battery or the storage card) I had completely missed this.

Adding wireless connectivity to a digital camera may be seen as a natural evolution - cameras have gained so many add-ons lately that it's getting difficult to see what will be added next.

I own a Panasonic Lumix TZ10 Digital Camera - Black (12.1MP, 12x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD which has a built in GPS, but still requires a cable or card reader to transfer photos to permanent storage - or rather did. With the Eye-Fi card just having my camera and computer swicthed on in the same room means that my photos 'magic' there way onto the laptop...

[Note: The TZ10 isn't listed as being supported on the Eye-Fi website, but the TZ7 is so I gave it a go and all worked fine]

The card is 802.11n Wifi - i.e. fast - and supports WEP, WPA ad WPA2 encryption so should talk to your WiFi router or any pulic hotspts without problems (early issues with some older routers have been addressed in a firmware revision in late 2010).

As you can configure which folder photos get transferred to I have the photos transferring stright onto a network drive - so they are safe on a RAID array and accessible from my laptop or my main machine...

Eye-Fi also give you the option of performing a 'staged' transfer. This means that rather than going direct from camera to computer (which is the default) the photos can be transferred over any accessible WiFi conection (eg BT OpenZone or a public WiFi service in a cafe or whatever) to Eye-Fi's server then when you're computer is switched on the photos get sync'ed and copied on to the computer! Doing thing sthis way also means that your photos are available for viewing on the Eye-Fi website for at least 7 days.

Very configurable and a superbly executed system - Eye-Fi seem to have thought about just about everything.

Eye-Fi can also automatically upload to the likes of Flickr,Facebook, YouTube, WebShots and many others - doing this in parallel with the upload to your main storage - so you can automatically share photos with your social media group as well.

Another feature which is especially clever is the 'endless memory' mode. An 8GB SD card will hold alot of photos, but then you need to manage them. A smaller card will fill up quickly and need you to regularly transfer photos off... The Eye-Fi card solves this issue brilliantly. Endless memory allows you to configure a threshold for the SD card so that when it is, say, 50% full, image that have already bee transferred will be deleted from the card automatically, oldest first. That way you still have your recent photos on the card to view on the camera, but the Eye-Fi car dnever gets full... another example of how well thought out this is.

It's all very easy to use, and there is nothing to set up on the camera itself. When a photo is taken it just transfers, that's it. Though there is an option to switch off the auto transfer and only have photos transfer when you 'tag' them on the camera, usually using the lock/protect function built into the camera.

The only slight down-side is that the 'Eye-Fi Helper' application which runs on your computer waiting to sync the photos (or videos, sorry forgot to mention that) is a little bit flaky. I'm running it on a fully patched WinXP and in the couple of hours of testing I had to restart the helper application 3 or 4 times. That nearly knowcked a star off the rating, but software can be fixed, so I've left the 5 starts in the hope that a futire update will make part of the system a bit more robust.

The SD card hardware seems pretty robust in itself, and is firmware upgradable.

You should allow a bit more than the quoted 10 minutes to install the system though as both the software and the card firmware will be updated as part of the process. All pretty painless and automatic, but it took me about 30 minutes to get completely up and running.

Another thing to note is that as this card essentially adds a WiFi transceiver to your camera, the battery drain is going to be more than with a normal SD card. I can't put a number on that, but I would imagine that it wouldn't be an insignificant drain - switching on WiFi on a smart phone can really drain your battery quickly so WiFi itself is pretty power hungry.

WiFi connectivity could well be the next feature to start creeping onto compact cameras. There are already a couple of models around, but I would expect it to become more commonplace. Will the built in functionality of these cameras be as flexible as Eye-Fi? I doubt it to be honest.

The other beauty of the connectivity being on the SD card is that you can move the card to another camera and that camera becomes WiFi connected as well...

I haven't yet tried this on my DSLR which is listed as having some problems according to the Eye-Fi site, but I will give it a go at some point and will update the review when I've tried.

Compared to a standard SD card these are not cheap, but I think they are a brilliant piece of kit - a true inovation - and if you take a lot of photos it could well be a very good investment.

*** Update ***

I have now also tried this with my Pentax K10D Digital SLR Camera and it works perfectly - again despite the K10D not being listed as a compatible camera on the Eye-Fi website.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not be duped with this card - useless, 2 April 2013
This review is from: Eye-Fi Pro X2 8GB Wireless SDHC Memory Card (Accessory)
The only WIFI Hotspot access that you will get in the UK is...
The_Cloud
Easy_Wifi
Both of these WIFI Hotspots are available completely free of charge,
on yr laptop or mobile, and no additional equipment is required,
also the coverage is extremely limited.
Although I have been in various highly populated areas,
the GPS tagging has not worked once.
Do not waste your money, this card is completely useless.

‹ Previous | 118 19 20 | Next ›