5.0 out of 5 stars Supergood - an instant classic for those who 'get it'.
Superbad is not for everyone.

The one star reviews here demonstrate that a certain percentage of the poplace is just not going to get this movie - fair do's, to each their own.

However, there are many who perceive Superbad to be an instant comedy classic and the funniest film of the decade so far. I'm one of those people.

The film was many...
Published on 8 Aug 2008 by A. Elliott

3.0 out of 5 stars "Have you actually ever met anyone named McLovin?"
Since Napoleon Dynamite, `geek flicks' became nearly as trendy as the awful teen sex comedies like American Pie - and when I saw the opening credits with the awkward dancing, I thought this might be jumping on the bandwagon. Thankfully though - the film introduced two great characters - Evan and Seth. The two friends are in the final throws of school life before going up...
Published on 6 Feb 2009 by @GeekZilla9000

5.0 out of 5 stars Supergood - an instant classic for those who 'get it'., 8 Aug 2008
A. Elliott "ob1al" (UK) - See all my reviews
Superbad is not for everyone.

The film was many years in development, which comes across in the character development and interwoven storyline. Not that this is a complex story, by any means. It's a very simple premise of three guys who need to buy liquor for their grad party. The beauty of the film is not in what they are doing, but in how they do it.

The three main characters are well cast and genuinely funny - Christopher Mintz-Platz in his debut role (Mclovin!) is a scene stealer and the laurel and hardy-esque pairing of Jonah Hill and Michael Cera (as Seth and Evan) gives this film a solid backbone, a great platform for the filmakers to introduce a wierd and wonderful array of supporting characters into the mix - including co-writer Seth Rogan and Bill Hader as a pair of crazy cops.

Behind the comedic vulgarity and Animal House / American Pie facade, this film succeeds because it has a heart. As the action continues, we realise that this is also a veiled coming-of-age drama.

The filmakers have approached their subject with an obvious dedication to make this film something more than just another teen comedy.

A funky soundtrack and vintage 70's feel (although the movie is set in the present day) complete the package.

This film has that rare rewatchable quality which will demand repeated viewings time and time again, to those who love it.

Superbad is supergood. 5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh and funny, best comedy, 11 May 2008
Mr. J. Littlejohn (UK) - See all my reviews
I'm amazed how poorly rated this film is on Amazon. If you're interested in this film, PLEASE don't get put off by the reviews here.

This is an original and genuinely funny film. There are a number of comparisons that can be drawn to American Pie, but ultimately Superbad ushers in the next generation of teen comedy (and I'm sure it will have as many immitators as American Pie predictably did).

If you want to find out the ratings this film really deservers try:

IMDB - 7.9
(if you use IMDB, you'll know this is a high score)

rotten tomatoes - 87% fresh (!!!)
("Consensus: An authentic take on the awkwardness of the high school experience.")

When I saw this in the cinema, the entire audience was rolling about laughing at many points during the film (which is rare in the UK!). If you have a sense of humour, don't miss out! This is one of the best comedies of the 00s.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Teen Comedy Since American Pie, 5 April 2008
Caleb Williams (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Easily the title of my review can't complement this movie enough and neither can the star rating system. This film is without a doubt the funniest teenage comedy I've seen... Ever, in fact it's even better than the original American Pie. The story tells of Seth and Evan two High School seniors who attempt to host one of the biggest beer bashes their town has ever seen and on a side note they hope to score.

During the movie the boys come across a problem with their party, they're not old enough to buy beer so they have to get their friend Fogell to get a fake ID and buy the beer for them. This is the historical moment where Fogell transforms into McLovin the 25 year old, Hawaiian organ donor. From start to finish this film is packed with some of the most memorable one liners that you have heard packed into the single motion picture experience.

A little warning for you all is that this film pulls no punches.(Well maybe one and Fogell got the brunt) It is simply crude in every aspect of these one liners that I know you will find just as hysterical as I did. There is swearing but only to a point where you start to become offended but then realise this is all leading to something better.

Get this movie, I guarantee you will love every second of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars SO much better then I thougth it would be, 7 July 2008
A. Macdermott (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
After seeing the trailer I wasn't convinced but when a friend made me watch the film I realised how wrong I was. A few reviews correctly state that the story is not particually original, however the characters and dialogue make this film. The best comedy film of this genre I have seen since Anchor Man or Old skool.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all-time favourites, 1 Mar 2013
I could quite easily and unregrettedly say that Superbad is my favourite comedy movie of all time. This movie is just full of hilarious content, how anyone could disagree baffles me, I've seen this film 10 times but still laugh out loud at certain moments... The main reason I love this movie is because it is awkward. Yes, awkward. By that I mean that both the writers the the actors do an amazing job of creating some amazingly awkward scenes - and we all know that awkward moments are hilarious when we're not involved. I believe this was Jonah Hills first major part in a movie and I'm convinced it's what got him his recognition, and rightly so. There's too much hilarious content to explain, so just go watch it, please do, you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughed my ass off!, 31 Aug 2008
Classic teenage comedy. This is a brilliant film about three school geeks who plan on going to a party to be with some girls, so they volunteer to get the booze, but it was never going to be that simple. With constant run-ins with two hilarious police and a fake I.D. that just says "McLovin" it's definitely put itself into one of my favourite comedy films along side Borat.

I couldn't recommend it enough and the picture is stunning with great menu's and great sound.

A definite must-buy for everyone, just because it's a teen movie doesn't mean only teens can watch it.

"I am McLovin"

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh and funny teen comedy, 13 May 2008
M. Gardner "Afro Matt" (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Superbad, coming from the team behind the hilarious Knocked Up, is a film also destined to polarise opinion. The story is simple: two high school finalists are charged with obtaining the alcohol for a large house party and so they hook up with a third friend who happens to have recently gotten himself a fake ID in the hope that they might impress the ladies and finally 'become men' before going their separate ways for college. Jonah Hill is fantastic as the energetically potty-mouthed Seth as is Michael Cera, whose deadpanned performance perfectly compliments that of Hill and makes us bemoan Fox once again for canning the wonderful series Arrested Development. But it is Christopher Mintz-Plasse as Fogell, the uber-geek with the fake ID that reads 'McLovin', who steals every scene he's in, whether standing in the face of Seth's ranting, or going joyriding with two cops (Seth Rogen and Bill Hader) who just want to show that being a policeman doesn't necessarily mean a dull existence without fun. The dialogue is witty and funny, the improvisational quality of many scenes providing a very natural feel to he film, and there are laughs aplenty to be had here and a wealth of quotable lines to fill the halls of any school/college.

The DVD extras are welcome as well, with a number of shorts highlighting the various takes on certain improvised lines, a hilarious little wind-up on Jonah hill where he is confronted by all kinds of terrifying creatures, and a little docu-skit entitled 'Everyone Hates Michael Cera' that is uncomfortably chuckle-worthy. But by far the best set of extras involves Rogen and Hader's two cops. 'Cop Car Confessions' sees a number of probably improvised sketches in the back of the cop car with a host of celebrity comedian cameos. I wanted Rogen and Hader's characters to get ore screen time, and they gave me just that!

If you liked The Forty Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up then I strongly suggest that you give Superbad a try. I laughed until I actually ached. You might too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true comedy classic, 4 Feb 2008
The first 15 minutes of Superbad are, well, superbad. Jonah Hill's Seth is a horrible, unfunny character who comes across like a hysterically immature version of Nice Guy Eddie. I hated him and I was beginning to get a very bad feeling about the film. But then the story finally got rolling and I realised I was supposed to hate him, that was the point. Relief turned to joy and was soon overtaken by pure, unadulterated pleasure, because Superbad is the best comedy of the last 10 years...at least. The story - in true frat house tradition - revolves around three geeks trying to get booze for a popular girls house party, and this enables Seth Rogen's script to follow a number of increasingly funny strands not least of which involves the "party cops" (Rogen and Hader - so good they surely deserve their own film). I really could go on and on about how fantastic a comedy this is, but maybe I need only say that this is up there with Animal House. Praise indeed. Oh, and by the way is Michael Cera Simon Amstell's brother?

5.0 out of 5 stars Superbad = At Least 5 Stars., 1 Feb 2008
M. Biel (uk) - See all my reviews
This movie deserves to be off the rating scale. If you saw it in the cinemas like i did, then you will know that it is a great movie (unless 500 people laughing simultaneously is just a coincidence).

The characters really make this film, and if you are a teenage student (like i am) then you will no doubtedly agree, that you have gone through some of the events portrayed in the film, ie: trying to get alcohol despite being underage or getting into the pants of that girl you have always liked lol...

Some reviewers below have scorned this film for the wrong reasons, its not "infantile and childish" by any means. Infact, this is a well written film, meant for the younger generations, with whitty and amusing characters that really convey what the films about.

The jokes and puns are excellent and true to life (in most instances). To sum up, go and see this film; you wont regret it; and in my opinion is one of the best teen comedies of all time since the likes of american pie, scary movie and not just another teen movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars SuperGood, 10 Dec 2008
C. Lochhead (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Brilliant comedy film. So many laugh out loud moments. The bit when the cops run because they hear the cops is hilarious!

Watched it a few times and it's still funny each time I watch it. I'm McLovin this film, oh yeah baby!

Superbad [UMD Mini for PSP]
Superbad [UMD Mini for PSP] (UMD Mini for PSP - 2010)