2,273 Reviews
 (1,498)

1,629 of 1,649 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but expensive.
When I first decided to buy the fantastic Kindle3 I thought it was only right to get the cover designed for it.

Published on 7 Oct 2010 by Mrs L.C

1,560 of 1,588 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate but should be so much better for the price.
This review is posted after 5 days of use with the Kindle lighted cover(brown).

Positives
1) Good quality leather.
2) Swinging lock mechanism works very well and holds kindle in place securely.
Published on 3 Sep 2010 by MrRivendale

1,629 of 1,649 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but expensive., 7 Oct 2010
This review is from: Amazon Kindle Keyboard Lighted Leather Cover, Black (only fits Kindle Keyboard) (Accessory)

My first thought on which cover to get was that both the standard and the lighted one were brilliant but about a third too expensive. Looking at the prices I decided that I should economise so I bought the standard cover without the light thinking that I already have a simple clip on light that would do the job fine.

Both the covers (excepting the light) are the same so the following review applies to both models.

The cover arrived (before the Kindle) and it is very very good. It fits the Kindle perfectly and in so doing gives protection. I really like the way that it is styled, the leather is gorgeous, the colours lovely (I bought the burnt orange) and it is so easy to use. It attaches to the Kindle in a matter of seconds, and in use is simplicity. I really like the elastic closure band, no fuss, just does the job. I also really like the way I can fold the cover back, fix it with the band and then either hold the Kindle with one hand or rest it on a cushion or in a book stand for 'hands free' use. The inside of the cover has a lovely 'felty' feel to it, so not only does it completely protect the screen and buttons of the Kindle, but it is also non slip so rests very easily on an angled surface.

Attaching my clip on light was ok, but after only a few days the battery was going down (because I was using the Kindle so much!) so I decided to think again about the lighted cover!

Having initially disregarded the lighted cover due to its cost I began to see the advantages over having a separate light. The light is always there! After kicking myself a bit over having wasted money on buying the standard cover I ordered the burgundy red lighted cover. It is brilliant! It is so clever just having the light there all the time, safely tucked away when not needed, but instantly available in low light. I thought the light would be uneven and therefore annoying but it is a very gentle natural light and becomes unnoticeable once absorbed in the reading - which is very very easy to do.

I don't understand why anyone having bought the best e-reader on the market will want to buy a cover which slips off or is just a stick-on cover. Don't hesitate about buying the best cover designed for the Kindle which does the job so brilliantly. Yes it is expensive but it will last, is a quality product and makes my Kindle look an even more amazing piece of kit than it already is in its own right.

1,560 of 1,588 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate but should be so much better for the price., 3 Sep 2010
This review is posted after 5 days of use with the Kindle lighted cover(brown).

Positives
1) Good quality leather.
2) Swinging lock mechanism works very well and holds kindle in place securely.
3) The cover has been designed so the front cover extends fully backwards so as to overlap the back cover. At first I thought the increased thickness that results would be uncomfortable but I was pleasantly surprised how little you notice the cover when reading in this position.
4) The light (when reading only). Yes it is not evenly distributed over the entire screen but is perfectly adequate for reading at night. The difference in light from the top right hand side of the screen to the bottom left of the screen in my opinion is negligible.(However please see point 2 below for using the keyboard at night)

Negatives
1) The fastening mechanism - which comprises of what I can only describe as a thick elasticated string. I cannot help but wonder how long this string will last after repeated pulling and releasing. Yes it does the job but surely the designers could have come up with a better fastening mechanism. I hope to be proved wrong and like to think Amazon had some sort of robotic arm which was continually opening and releasing the kindle cover to test its longevity.
2) The light (when using the keyboard only). Although the light is perfectly usable when reading on screen I have found it to be lacking when using the keyboard at night. I have found myself having to strain to distinguish between the keys.
3) Muffled sound from speakers. Ok the text to speech option is at present not very good and as Amazon say it is experimental, but I thought I would mention that because the kindle speakers are located at the back of the unit, any sound that is played is muffled. Yes it sounds obvious and there is probably not much you can do about it (apart from turn up the volume) but I thought I would mention it.
4) Price. There is a niggling doubt in the back of my mind that the sum of the components does not reflect the overall price. In my opinion a price tag of around £35 is more realistic.

1,019 of 1,038 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, solid and the luxury we love, 29 Sep 2010
H. B. Hosegoood (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Length:: 3:00 Mins

I decided to make this video because although Amazon provide one, we all know it's an advert and will only show the good bits. Also I wanted to show how easily the Kindle slots into the case and how the light really is a bit fiddly to pull up. Overall I love this Kindle case. It's pretty rugged but it is quality leather so firstly it isn't light and secondly you need to look after it. I've found that the soft lining picks up fluff from my handbag, so don't just toss it into the bottom of a bag or on to the floor of you car (especially if you have kids) and expect it to stay pristine. Look after it and I'm sure it will last well. However, if you know you are going to treat your Kindle and it's case roughly I suggest you choose a different one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatly enhances the Kindle reading experience, 30 Aug 2010
The Kindle is my first eBook reader after 55 years of reading paper books (I started very young), and I've found this cover to be a great help in making the transition.

The cover looks good (I like the steel blue colour), is beautifully made and holds the Kindle securely. Reading, both with the cover in the open book position and with the top folded behind the Kindle, is very comfortable. The weight of the Kindle plus the cover is about the same as a 500 page paperback (around 15 ounces), which is fine for me.

I hesitated about whether to get the lighted version or not, but am really glad that I did as the light works very well. It's great for reading in bed at night and and will be extremely useful when I'm away from home. Although the lighting across the screen is uneven, I find the illumination is fine for reading, and the fact that the light is always available (and hidden away when not is use) makes up for this.

Before I got the cover it seemed expensive, but if it stands up well to sustained use it will be worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, worth the money, 10 Feb 2011
Length:: 3:01 Mins

I wanted to provide this video review, my first ever, so you can see exactly what you get for your money.

I hope you enjoy it and find it useful in your purchase decision.

Kindle Lighted Leather Cover, Black (Fits 6" Display, Latest Generation Kindle)

4.0 out of 5 stars Only buy if you want the light, 16 Sep 2010
PROTECTION
Only buy this cover if you want the light because it offers the same level of protection as a hard cover on a book. Think of this cover as the hard cover on a book and the Kindle as the pages. In other words, the screen is protected from sharp items (just like the pages of hard cover book) but it will not keep liquids out and thin items can get in through the sides. If you live in the UK, where it rains a lot, you probably need to put the item in a plastic bag just to feel comfortable that it will not accidently get wet.

LIGHT
The light works well, although I don't think many would complain if it were stronger. However, it is good enough to read and I had no problem seeing the keys to type notes, etc. Additionally, if you hold the cover as a book, your partner (if sleeping on your left) cannot see the light. I like the light.

WEIGHT
It doubles the weight of the Kindle. I have weighed the Kindle and the cover and I have also weighed a 700 page paperback. The Kindle and cover weigh slightly less than the book. Therefore, the Kindle and cover weigh as much as a big paperback. Naturally, if you pick up the Kindle without the cover, it seems that the cover makes everything really heavy. However, in reality it is as much as a 700 page book and most of us would not think twice about buying a 700 page book because of its weight.

CONCLUSION
If you are looking for something to protect the Kindle and do not care about the light then no point in paying £50 for this cover. The best cover, protection and weight wise, would be a zip up type cover with a light weight hard cover (similar to what one can buy for portable hard drives). Unfortunately, I have not seen any yet but surely they will come out soon. Otherwise, if you like the idea of the light then get this cover because the light works fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars LIGHT FOR YOUR KINDLE - ANYTIME, ANYWHERE!, 8 Sep 2010
Crafty Marie "mariej30" (Cambs) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Here are my pros and cons regarding the Amazon Kindle Lighted Cover:

Pros:

* Comes in a great selection of eye-popping colours - I chose hot pink!
* Beautifully constructed, real leather, neat stitching, gold-plated hinges
* Very strong and feels sturdy enough to protect the screen
* Thick elastic band holds the entire case closed and secures Kindle inside
* Light anytime, anywhere - no need for batteries, just a charged Kindle as it runs off the Kindle battery
* Bright enough to read in a totally dark room - great for not disturbing a sleeping partner or a baby!
* Light turns off when your Kindle goes into sleep mode, thus saving draining your amazingly long-life Kindle battery

Cons:

* It is a pricey accessory (although I'd weigh up the convenience you're getting)
* It will add extra weight onto your lightweight Kindle - people who have both lighted and unlighted covers say the weight difference is virtually nil between the two but perhaps you'd prefer a lightweight slip cover
* The light is not spread evenly across the whole screen - the bottom of the screen is slightly darker. This doesn't bother me at all but it may annoy you

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected!! But still over priced....., 30 Sep 2010
I argued with myself for three weeks before deciding to get this cover. I thought it was just far to expensive. I even bought a sleeve for it for £5 to avoid paying the £50. (Not a smart move as I have now spent more than I would have.) I finally decided on the lighted cover because I thought it could come in handy one day and boy has it!

I have to say the lighted cover is much better than expected. People keep talking about the uneven light distribution, but seriously the difference is so minimal you will not notice it.....and yes my vision is excellent!! I have used it in a pitch black room and it is absolutely amazing!!

I have the hot pink colour and I love it. The colour looks fantastic and the case has a very classy look to it. The inside is extremely soft and nice to the touch, but the cover is very sturdy and protects my kindle very well.

I tried to use my kindle without a cover and it is nowhere as nice an experience as with the cover. It feels so flimsy and light without it. Also I fear it will slip from my hands. The cover adds a nice sturdy weight and feels good to hold, like a book or folded right back. This will keep my kindle safe for years to come.

Don't hesitate, treat yourself and get one. Expensive..VERY, but you won't regret buying it... If you don't like it just return it. That's how I justified it myself anyway...! I would have given 5 stars but because of the price it gets 4 stars, other than that, I love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great if you want to read at night, 4 Sep 2010
This case is comfy to hold, solid enough to provide protection for your Kindle, secures the Kindle nicely (congratulations to the Kindle team for thinking ahead and making the securing points also contacts to supply battery power) and the light illuminates the Kindle's screen very nicely. If you're going camping, or need to read at night when the main lights are out then this case is ideal for you.

There are only 2 downsides to this case:
firstly, it adds quite a bit of weight to the Kindle, which is a shame as the Kindle itself is incredibly thin and light. This extra weight is necessary to provide protection for the Kindle, but it can tire your arms more than the Kindle would by itself. However, the end weight is no more than a reasonably sized paperback, so it's not too bad, but after experiencing the naked Kindle anything that adds weight to it is a shame.
secondly, the light is very stiff to push back in to the case. Every time I've shown off my Kindle in this case to friends and colleagues they have all tried to push the light back in and all have given up in fear of breaking my new toy. I don't know whether this will ease with time, or whether it's just my case, but my light certainly doesn't retract easily.

If you're going travelling or carry your Kindle in a bag with other items that might damage it, and have a need to read at night then I would recommend this case to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, quality cover, 3 Sep 2010
Just got my first kindle and I opted for the steel blue cover with light. Whilst I agree it is overpriced (£50), the cover itself is ideal and so well designed. It feels and looks great and is comfortable to hold. The colour is lovely - easy to find in my cavernous bag but discreet which I like for reading on the train. The built-in light is surprisingly bright; yes, it lights the top of the screen more than the bottom, but it is perfectly easy to read by in an otherwise pitch black room.

Also, i'm the type who scratches the screen of every device I own, so I know it was worth splashing out on a decent cover to protect my kindle from day one.