Format: DVD|Change

on 6 June 2011
Let me start by saying I am not a Russel Brand fan. I was looking forward to the movie in spite of him and I am pleased to say I was pleasently suprised.

The movie is extremely fast paced and does not stop till the end. The songs and gigs are convingly good enough for you to believe Brand is an actual rockstar.

Judd Apatow movies tend to be split in two halfs, the first half usual been insanely funny whilst the second half tends to dip into the drama genre and quiets down, notable examples been funny people and superbad. Get him to the greek does not suffer from this and whilst the film does have a notable second half 'mood' it is still funny and because of the great characters, you do actually care about what happens to them.

Get him to the Greek is a great combination of hilarious comedy, gross out moments, some catchy songs and the debut of a hilarious P.diddy who almost steals the film with his text messaging.

Jonah Hill is perfect for the role whilst Brand has found his 'character' (party rock star) and pulls it off perfectly but i'm still convinced this is the only role he will ever play, like Jack Black will almost always be the overweight roadie character in School of Rock.

One of the only downsides to the movie is that you feel the boundries are always been pushed, like the writers and testing how much weirdness can be delivered and indeed the last attempt at this does cross the line, in my opinion.

A great 'laugh out loud' comedy, a MUST for any Apatow fans and indeed anyone who doesnt mind a bit of 'gross' with their comedy.
on 28 March 2015
As a middle aged female, I really wasn't expecting a lot from this film. However, I was swayed by seeing Elizabeth Moss and Rose Byrne in the cast. I'm not a fan of laddish comedies and Judd Apatow's films don't do a great deal for me usually, however I really enjoyed this one! There was a sweetness to Jonah Hill's character (although him dating a girl who looks like Elizabeth Moss and is also a doctor is pure wish fulfilment! This film was before Hill lost a lot of weight - he is pretty large here!)
For me, most of the fun was from Russell Brand and Rose Byrne who were just hilarious together. Brand plays the debauched but likeable Aldous Snow really well and Byrne shows she really is one of the most versatile actresses around with a very funny rock star wife role.
I could have done without Sean Puffy Coombs super sweary record boss and the subplot with Colm Meaney as Snow's dad was a bit dull. As it often the case with Apatow, he crosses the line from funny to overly gross at times, (drug smuggling scene...threesome...hmm no) but this is a film I've watched a couple of times and it still makes me laugh. Not sure Russell Brand has ever been so well matched for a role.
on 11 May 2016
Russell Brand again in his usual rock and roll role, see what I did there?
Jonah Hill in his helpess role as always. Really funny movie, especially the scene with the furry wall. Atleast worth the watch!
For me this was a real Lad's movie with a very punchy modern script. The humour is very black covering sex, alcohol / drugs and lots (& lots) of vomiting. Really liked the soundtrack and Russell Brand plays the part of debauched British rock singer Aldous Snow perfectly and gets very able support from P Diddy and Jonah Hill. My only quibble is that it could have been a lot funnier - some of the scenes seem a bit too ad-lib at times, which sometimes worked and sometimes did not.
on 4 November 2010
I was not expecting to like this at all, but I like Russell Brand so I thought I'd have a look. It's hell funny!
The songs are brilliant, strong, well constructed but with really funny lyrics. Russell Brand does an excellent job singing them. For me, he makes the film, he revels in the character and conveys a full range of emotion,not just comedy. I liked this film better than Forgetting Sarah Marshall.
on 17 April 2013
The money spinning wheel that is Judd Apatow comedies continues with this chaotic outing. Judd regular Jonah Hill reprises his Forgetting Sarah Marshall Role and has to escort Russell Brand's fading, ageing rock star, Aldous Snow to a comeback gig set to reignite his ailing career. Along the way they are embroiled in many misadventures and misdemeanours.

This is typical Russell Brand, so if you are watching this you either a) know and love his comedy anyway, or b) haven't got a clue and this is all new to you.

There is much to like with the film. Jonah Hill is his normal dry self and the genius inclusion of P Diddy, who just seems to let himself go completely, is a joy. The jokes come thick and fast and the situations these mismatched buddies face is generally amusing but does have a whiff of seen it all before about it.

Not everything hits the mark and in fact the first half was a little dull. The second half kicks up a gear and doesn't waste a minute throwing its next ridiculous set up at you.

Russell Brand is Russell Brand. You either love him or hate him and this isn't going to sway you any differently. However he does fit the role well. The soundtrack is great fun and some of the tunes Aldous belts out are inspired.

All in all pretty good fun, but by no means a classic. There are better comedies produced and/or directed by Judd Apatow, but you won't go far wrong with this one.
on 1 July 2014
One of the best, most original comedies I've seen in YEARS. Both actors are spot on...the storyline is simple apparently but often takes side-steps into each character's life. The contrast between them is what makes this story so compelling. from one extreme to the other.
on 26 December 2012
Maybe I'm getting old but this was terrible, I had to stop watching afer 30mins as the script is just so utterly utterly naff I was actually developing a sympathy for the actors, it just wasn't funny.
I couldn't recommend this.
on 8 August 2011
Modern comedy is pretty poor; all these gross out 15 certificate films have forgotten the basic principle of telling jokes. Instead these films rely on amusing characters and situations often don't work. However, in some cases the process of character, situation and casting does work and this can lead to some great laughs. `Get Him to the Greek' is no `Anchorman', but in terms of modern comedy it is certainly one of the best of the `Apatow' cannon.

`Greek' works because of the cast. There is little story to speak of, essentially straight laced record exec Aaron Green (Jonah Hill) must get drug addled rock star Aldous Snow (Russell Brand) to a concert in time. Thus ensues a road movie that encompasses London, Vegas and LA; with all the fruits of destruction that they offer. It seems that director Nicholas Stoller has created a loose situation comedy and thrown the likes of Hill and Brand into an improvisation experiment. When the patter is flowing the film excels. I've not been witness to drug excess in my time, but the scene that shows Brand et al. off their faces is genuinely funny - I now want a furry wall in my house. This sequence highlights one of the best extended cameos that I have seen in a long time; P Diddy as the insane Record Producer - embarrasses Tom Cruise's cameo in `Tropic Thunder'.

Scene after disjointed scene throws funny moments at the viewer, but the pure reckless nature of the film eventually undermines it. You find it hard to care about the character arcs when they are all over the place and none of them are particularly likable. With a slightly more structured narrative `Get Him to The Greek' would have been the best comedy of 2010, instead it is good fun that makes little sense.
on 6 February 2015
Worse than garbage - the bin men where off and they let this crap fester on prime instant video - hollywood / amazon don't do anyone any favours by putting this crap on their service- I've had to turn my broadband off and hug my router to try and consol it's shock and handling such a terrible movie. Terrible acting, horrible vulgar actors - might be funny if uve just hit puberty.