5.0 out of 5 stars Think Aerobics Instructor
Published on 3 May 2011 by JP

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I adored the Mel B fitness title on DVD and have given it a rave review previously as it was and still is amazing! I was so excited when i found this when i bought a Kinect to go with my Xbox 360. I couldn't wait for it to be delivered. I entered all my statistics and got started.

Published on 7 Jan 2012 by Mrs N Kear

5.0 out of 5 stars Think Aerobics Instructor, 3 May 2011
This review is from: Get Fit With Mel B (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I have been an early adapter and got Kinect when it came out. Unlike some who thought it will always be awesome, I did think it will deliver a bunch of dud games, as it has proven a 50% success rate with its titles so far. When it comes to the exercise games, I have tried and tested thoroughly from Your Shape Fitness Evolved, EA Sports Active 2 and now also Get Fit With Mel B. After giving them all a good few months try, I am now settling on Get Fit With Mel B. Even though it's the least visually entertaining game of them all and the technical side falls short, it does deliver on the "gym/aerobics" experience - something I was looking for.

Before I continue with the gameplay I like to make the following statement about Kinect and current games. This title has been released on all platforms, i.e. Wii, Xbox (Kinect) and now PS3 (Move). Whereas Wii/Ps3 games get good scores, the Kinect version often gets blasted. The fact is that all 3 platforms offer the same workout. You do the same thing, same exercises, same sequences, same instructor, same voice, same audio, the works. The difference is firstly that with Kinect the user often expects a "corrective trainer", in that the sensor will pick up your mistakes and comment like "pick those arms up higher", etc. Whereas Wii/Ps3 does not track arms/hands/feet, users of Kinect do expect this. It's in this department where Kinect titles often fall short on the review scores compared to Wii and PS3. I mention this, because I was not looking for a corrective trainer, I was merely looking for an exercise title that could give me a workout and a user-face that it easy to get around by. Secondly, because Kinect projects your image on screen, many focus too much on their own image and how this responds to that of Mel B's image. I think this often actually messes up the experience more than it enhances it. Almost every exercise Kinect title I've tried thus far experiences lag on the user's avatar/projection. This means that if you follow your own avatar/projection, you may just actually get out of sequence/rhythm for which you may get penalized (Your Shape Fitness Evolved). That leads to frustration eventually, because you know you are in beat and on time, but because you get distracted by your own "delayed" image on screen things get mixed up. I almost want to suggest to these game developers that until they can't get 100% one-on-one tracking right (as Microsoft claims it should be able to) they should not include the avatars/projections in these games, or give you an option to switch it on/off like the Wii-version.
Bottom line, if you remove these two obstacles mentioned the game is completely on par with its counterparts, and it's actually sad that reviews for Kinect are less favourable because developers are not getting things like the interface, projection-lag and corrective-training right.

On to the game.

GAMEPLAY
1 - You can let the game choose a daily workout for you, that varies with the focus on either FITNESS or AEROBICS. Fitness focuses on strength building, whereas aerobics focuses on cardio and related exercises. If you follow the daily exercise program it will vary from day to day using the different exercises under fitness and aerobics.
2 - You can choose a basic workout. You either select FITNESS or AEROBICS and then choose an exercise under these headings, e.g. "cardio boxing" under aerobics. You can customize the workout duration, but not shorter than 15 minutes at a time.
3 - Total customization. You can choose which exercises and mix and match them around and practice them.
4 - Mel B brings her touch to this game with a section called dancing, incorporating moves from salsa, cha-cha and whatnot.
5 - In short, you make your selection from those above and can customize the workout time for each of these events.
6 - If you have ankle/wrist weights, a bench and/or a resistance band you can add all of them to your workouts. If not, you just de-select them and the program will naturally exclude exercises designed for them.

CONS
- Mel B does not keep the beat! As the exercise go from one to the other, she'll be keeping beat and the next thing you know instead of her right arm going up it's her left. This is annoying as you will be frantically correcting your pose and then she's already off with the exercise. Furthermore, some of her "stepping" and "in-between" transitions seems like she's totally off beat.
- Mel B's voice does become annoying after a while. Though it does not bother that much, by day 4 you will know what she's going to say next before she even does..."it's easier than it looks..."
- Your projection can be distracting as there is a delay and your image seems somehow proportionally out of shape. I am 1,91m and I guess they've shrunk my projection on screen which makes my legs look bulgy and my head squashed. I found by not looking at my own projection my game experience improves a lot.
- With the dancing sections I had great difficulty cos I just couldn't get the moves right, and even in the section where you can practice it again and again, there is no instruction and it's just go, go, go. For this they should have included a tutorial to guide newbies like me through the moves. Having said this, after looking ridiculous for the first week trying to figure her salsa/cha-cha move out, I did get it. So I guess after a little bit of trial and error you can get it too. I just felt that with this being a workout and all tutorials should have been included.

NEUTRAL
- After a two weeks, you'll know the exercises by heart. I like this, I want something I know well and do it again and again. Others may not like this, as it could lead to boredom with the game soon.

PROS
- The interface gets you quickly where you want to be. With Your Shape Fitness Evolved I have to navigate almost 10 menus from inserting the disc in the Xbox until I can actually start my workout. Get Fit With Mel B has its initial setup, but after this its easy - especially if you are going for the daily workout. Log in, select your Kinect ID, select daily workout, select start and voila.
- The menu and control buttons are big and easily accessible. I'll refer to Your Shape Fitness Evolved again in this case as the control buttons are really small and just a slight shake of the hand and the menu will "reset". Let's not even mention the clunky controls of EA Sports Active 2. For Get Fit With Mel B the controls are much bigger and you can easily control them.
- Space is reduced. Unlike EA Sports Active 2 where I actually have to back up far in the room to be recognize, with this program I can basically stand a short distance from the sensor. At the beginning I used to stand too far back considering previous experiences from other games, but soon realised I can move up closer. This was pretty nice and I hope future developers consider this for all Kinect titles.
- Even though the routines/workouts do not differ much, there is an energy to this title that I found lacking in others. Having discussed this with others who also have this we are of the opinion that it actually feels like you have an instructor in the room with you, albeit at times annoying. In other exercise games you have avatars training you, but here you have Mel B with her oh so glossy lips and never perspire prompting you on, and it does bring home a personal touch.
- In our house the step/bench exercise has become a favourite. It's a real workout and thinking how much I'm saving by NOT going to the gym for exactly the same thing is wonderful.

RECOMMENDATION
I would recommend this for people looking for an easy workout, with a bit of variety from cardio to boxing to strength exercises. It's presentation is as good as on PS3/Wii, except that you may get distracted by the delayed projection of times of your image on-screen. If you can ignore this, you'll have a great workout. Try and get yourself a step-bench, the ankle/wrist weights and a resistance band, and this game will truly bring out its true colours.
DO NOT BUY THIS if you hate Mel B or any of the Spice Girls. I also will agree in with the other review here that this game allows little to improve/customize in the long run. Again, I wasn't looking for this, and if you were EA Sports Active 2 should be a better recommendation for someone who is looking for a workout that will go harder and stronger in the long run. I also will agree that this is basically a workout "video". However, workout videos do not give you the option of customizing workout durations and sequences and workouts, so it's much better than your run of the mill training videos. And at the current price it's going for on Amazon it's really worth the money.
I gave it a five because it delivers as it promises and it's value for money.
I gave it a five for fun because after two months I'm still doing it diligently, and friends seeing me do this have gone out and purchased not only the game, but an Xbox+Kinect on two separate occasions.

If you have any questions and want to know more, please feel free to ask me. Even if it's about other titles like Your Shape Fitness Evolved and EA Sports Active 2. Unfortunately I have not tried Biggest Loser.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good game for exercise, 28 Feb 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Get Fit With Mel B (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I really like this interactive game. It took me a while to set it up on my sons xbox connect! I really love the game you can chose your back ground where you exercise, i prefer the luxury yacht! A video of me is superimposed next to Mel which is quite strange, but good for seeing if you are doing the exercises properly. The only thing is when one is doing the floor work the connect kept losing me, i think my son would have set it up better!Overall great value.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 15 Feb 2012
This review is from: Get Fit With Mel B (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
like other reviewers I have bought loss of exercise games over the years most of which have laid redundant once the novelty has passed. we had a kinect for xmas so treated myself to this, so far have used it once a week and not bored yet, well worth the money, much cheaper than the gym or an exercise class.

5.0 out of 5 stars get fit with mel b, 28 July 2011
This review is from: Get Fit With Mel B (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
i wasnt sure about this game at all whever to buy or not then i saw it for a fiver in a game shop so thought why not and one thing i immediently loved about this game was the fact u are in the game watching yourself i thought was amazing so detailed your face clothes everything and its a good work out game must say it dosent have the same feel as like ufc when ure doing the training but not many games actually use u in the so i think this is fun to play and watch especially for the low cost of buying it

5.0 out of 5 stars get fit, 10 Nov 2011
This review is from: Get Fit With Mel B (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I brought this as trying to loose weight. excellent buy, good price and lots of fitness levels.
Lots of fun and you really do feal like your working out with mel b. love it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great work out, 11 May 2013
This review is from: Get Fit With Mel B (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This is a really great workout using the KINECT on the xBox and is really good at keeping track of progress as you improve

4.0 out of 5 stars I bought this online, 19 Jan 2013
This review is from: Get Fit With Mel B (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I found this very inetersting as it has got useful exercises and very easy to follow. I must recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My wife enjoy it ,that's the most important :), 16 Jan 2013
Andrei (Bologna,Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Get Fit With Mel B (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Arrived in time and in perfect conditions.
Pretty cool game if you didn't tried anything else from slimming-kinect series .

Issues with kinect controller ,ignore all the height measurements and put it as low possible when you do the push ups and other ground exercises.

Mel B pushes you to the limit :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy, 11 Jan 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Get Fit With Mel B (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Got this for Christmas and I love it, the moves are easy to do and you can really feel them working. The only down point I have is when your doing the abs work out my kinect doesn't register me so it ends up pausing itself as I am not being detected. I cant move the kinect anywhere else because the only other place I could put it is on the floor so any tips would be appreciated.

Overall fab game !!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 7 Jan 2012
Mrs N Kear (Portsmouth, Hants.) - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Get Fit With Mel B (Xbox 360) (Video Game)

Started the warm up which seemed fine. Hmm...okay so we're now working on the floor... that's fine i'm sure it won't be for long. I tried messing around with my goals to see if it would stop giving me floor exercises (which i hate) but it didn't. Another thing i would like to add is the projection of Mel isn't very enthusiastic during the whole experience, i total turnaround from the DVD of a few years ago. I found that the first 2 repetitions of an exercise were at one tempo and then the rest of that set were slightly slower. So i'd start off slow and have to speed up and then all of a sudden i'm ahead of her?

I wanted some heart pumping aerobic exercise to really get my blood flowing but this just didn't seem to do it. Maybe i got the set up wrong or it just wasn't clear how to get to the gritty difficult stuff. I did not feel challenged by this at all and i am in no way a seasoned professional at fitness. The reason I've given it 2 stars and not 1 is because the interface was good and the fact that Mel talks you through the set up process is great.

Get Fit With Mel B (Xbox 360)
Get Fit With Mel B (Xbox 360) by pqube (Xbox 360)
6.99