4.0 out of 5 stars Another classic from Archer
I'm a huge fan of Jeffrey Archer. You can say what you like about the perjuring old Tory...he writes a damn good novel!

East End mechanic Danny Cartwright proposes to his girlfriend Beth and they go to a pub in Chelsea to celebrate with Beth's brother Bernie. The night takes a sinister turn when a group of braying upper class young men start insulting the...
Published on 13 July 2009 by Femmielala

3.0 out of 5 stars 'Count of Monte Cristo' updated
You can't go far wrong in terms of plot if you update a classic, and here Archer gives us a modern version of Dumas' tale. Decent man is falsely accused and convicted of heinous crime, betters himself in prison and goes on to seek revenge on those who had him imprisoned.
This is a pretty good page turner which should be enjoyed for what it is; yes, the characters...
Published on 31 Mar 2008 by Ichabod J

5.0 out of 5 stars ... I have read of Jeffery Archer and it was excellent, very clever story and well written, 24 July 2014
This review is from: A Prisoner of Birth (Kindle Edition)
First book I have read of Jeffery Archer and it was excellent, very clever story and well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars she was very pleased with it, 17 July 2014
This review is from: A Prisoner of Birth (Kindle Edition)
Bought this for my mother, who is a big fan of Mr Archer, she was very pleased with it

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely brilliant, 9 Mar 2008
Ms. Susan Pascoe (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Prisoner of Birth (Hardcover)
What can I say Archer at his best again. I have not read a book so thrilling in a while it grips you from page one to the end and you just cant put it down I lost a day and night reading this. All I can say is its brilliant and I cant wait for his next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 July 2014
This review is from: A Prisoner of Birth (Kindle Edition)
Very enjoyable and kept you guessing right until the end

5.0 out of 5 stars flabbergasted, 3 Mar 2009
This review is from: A Prisoner of Birth (Paperback)
I have been a lifelong fan of that literary giant, Dan Brown, and as such found little space in my day-to-day grind for anything other than his densely textured prose poems. However, one evening, as the sun set slowly over the marshlands of the temperate Siberian valley I call home, I was handed this wonderful, pulse-quickening tour de force by an itinerant cockle salesman down on his luck. I granted him his life and settled in to read. And I must say that the other reviewers here scarcely do this work justice. The sun rose and fell, rose and fell, and it was as nothing beside the burning passion and breathy adventure within these pages. I was disappointed at the end only because reality itself was less vibrant and pulsating than the world created by Lord Archer. As Jasper, enraged by the proximity of the neighbours' domesticated hyena, barked for all he was worth, it almost seemed to me that he was calling out, Archer, Archer, Archer. And who can blame him? Not I, not I.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely outstanding, 30 Jan 2009
JM (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: A Prisoner of Birth (Paperback)
There's not much for me to say that hasn't already been said, but I had to add my praise for this wonderful book. It grips from the very beginning, superb characterisation, and an intriguing and fascinating plot. It's one of those fantastic books that leaves you with a warm glow and you're desperate to reach the end but gutted when you have because nothing else can follow on from it. Brilliant stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, 8 Dec 2008
Mr. D. F. Sommer (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Prisoner of Birth (Paperback)
Archer has created a masterpiece. Other reviewers have noted that the story is far from original but I am convinced that this does not make the book any less exciting. It is a true page-turner with characters that one likes and truly admires and an injustice that makes you want to scream Danny Cartwrights innocence from the rooftops. It is difficult not get caught up in the excitement of the book.

This review is being written at 3.40am...I have just finished reading it. I can't recommend this book highly enough. My only criticism is that I read it too quickly, I want to be further immersed!

5.0 out of 5 stars the Count of Monte Cristo in modern world..., 13 Nov 2008
This review is from: A Prisoner of Birth (Paperback)
I wouldn't call it "British John Grisham", as the story is more like the count of Monte Cristo in modern world. And Alexandre Duma had created this twist in story long time ago. Nevertheless, the book has it all suspense, conspiracy, Swiss banks, crime & love story. It was an enjoyable read especially after John Grisham's "Innocent man". Both of these books create scary thoughts of innocent men in jail and who is responsible for that or if ever will be punished.
I liked the title of the book "A prisoner of birth" - it proves that it is possible to achieve anything even though people have different upbringings in life. It might just take more time and determination.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping read, 30 Oct 2008
This review is from: A Prisoner of Birth (Paperback)
I was enthralled from start to finish. This is a book that once I finished I wanted to read again and I never read books a second time - it was even great on second time around and still held my attention. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Farfetched but still brilliant!, 29 Aug 2008
Ms. A. Archer (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Prisoner of Birth (Hardcover)
There is no questioning that this is an improbable plot but this is a brilliant book that will keep you turning the pages.Its fast-paced, unputdownable, gripping and addictive and you will not want to put this one down until you have finished. Mr Archer at his best.

A Prisoner of Birth