Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.79

on 26 January 2006
This book has an interesting slant in that it covers the story of two magicians during the early 1800's. They are completely different characters, who are intertwined with several other close people. But it's all a bit too lightweight I'm afraid.
I really couldn't be bothered about the two main characters. The other people's involvement really just came across as short stories, that were desperately trying to merge in with the main story without much success.
And my word, it was long, long, long.
VINE VOICEon 20 March 2005
I haven't even finished reading this yet and already I'm compelled to tell everyone I know to read this book. It is wonderful. Yes, it's long, but I haven't noticed the slowness I've heared people complain of - if anything I'm glad of the length because it means there's more for me to read! I love it! The footnotes give it the authority of an academic text which adds to the (incredibly well researched and developed) sense of historicism. Magic, Fairies, Enchanted Kingdoms - what more could I ask for? Brilliant.
on 16 July 2007
What a great book. I listened to it on audio book and I can see why reading it might be tough - it is very long.

But then so is Lord of the Rings and, like that book, Strange and Norrell is also a story, a world even, to enjoy while you are in it.

If it was a movie pitch it would probably be something like Jane Eyre does Harry Potter, but it is so much more than that, not least because it is funny. Well, Nr Norrell is at any rate.
on 24 February 2007
I bought this book in paperback, which is probably just as well because even as such it was quite a handful to hold for long reading sessions, and it is so absorbing it is not a book you want to put down. I am now going to do something I've never done before: buy it again in hardback and keep it. It is a wonderful, unusual, inventive, imaginative, funny, endearing book, and I would recommend it to anyone (especially those who find Harry Potter rather irritating).
on 8 February 2005
In my fifty-six years of life I have read some marvellous books but I have to say Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell has been the best. Initially, I thought that the size of the book could not possibly sustain my interest but I found that I just wanted to read and read without stopping. Regrettably one has to sleep and I was very upset when I finally turned the last page as it was just so good. I eagerly await Ms Clarke's second novel.
on 3 September 2014
Scary, gave it away.
on 4 November 2004
What a fun read. Quite simply a book so enchanting you'll be counting your fingers!
Characters and places, ideas and history all are woven seamlessly together to form a book I cannot recommend highly enough. Allow your imagination to run wild as you dream up the locations and the people in your mind, assisted by the notably appropriate illustrations throughout.
Cannot wait for the follow-up.
on 3 November 2004
I believed the hype. Slow. Slow. Slow. Mildly interested in first chapter. Getting tired of narrative style by page 25. Losing feeling in some of my extremeties now. Losing will to stay awake. Good for insomnia. Maybe it perks up later on. Didn't have enough interest to find out whether the first of our eponymous characters is playing magic with the magic society or not. This would potentially be a good door-stop, but it is not physically heavy, depite its dullness. Twenty-odd years ago there were Public information films about how to survive a nuclear holocaust by hiding under a door with books and furniture piled on top. About fifty should keep the Gamma rays at bay. You might die of boredom during the nuclear winter though.
on 19 December 2005
A friend bought me this gem of a book for my birthday and although I thought it started out quite slowly it just kept on improving and by the third part i just could not put the book down. I absolutely loved this book and was gutted when i finished it. buy it, borrow it or steal it, but either way make sure you read it. you will be glad you did.
on 6 January 2011
This is one brick of a book. One difficult to read on a tube standing. Yet I was happy to loose stops getting late to work getting inspired on fantastical original excuses of doing just that. I found myself starting slowing down from the middle onwards as I simply did not want this to end. Wondrous imaginative and simply sumptuous.