on 16 September 2013
Since replacing the halogens with LEDs, I'm getting so much RF interference it completely wipes out FM radio reception when the lights are on. I'm not 100% sure yet, but I suspect the drivers. I'm going to try a few ways of suppressing the noise and will report back in due course. As far as driving the lights goes, these devices get 5 stars, but if they are the cause of the interference, then I would be reluctant to give them even 1 star. If you're thinking of going LED, my advice is to try just one lamp and one driver first, and check your FM or DABS reception before any major investment.

*** UPDATE ***
I've now done some extensive testing here. All attempts to suppress interference with ferrites, screened cable, etc, failed, but finally I tried running one of my bulbs off a car battery. And what do you know, the interference was just as bad! In fact I could move the bulb around like a searchlight, and the level of RFI varied depending where I pointed it. This was a big surprise to me as I assumed, as do many websites reporting this problem, that it was the switching power supplies at fault. I'd love to know what's inside these bulbs that is generating such intense RF.

For me it's a bit of a disaster as I've invested quite a lot of money in these, but unless I sit in the dark, FM radio is completely wiped out.

Anyway, I've upped my rating on the driver, as, at least in my case, I now believe it is *not* the main cause, or even the slightest cause, of the problem. Instead, I strongly advise anyone looking to replace Halogen with LED to check that the bulbs are rated for low RFI, or at least to just try one first and see if you still have reception. Of course if you only use online radio, or have a very good aerial or are in a strong reception area, you may not be affected. But your neighbour might. There are now some low RFI rated bulbs out there, which strongly suggests that some manufacturers are aware of the problem.
22 comments| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 November 2011
I changed some 12v 35w MR16 lamps to the 3w LED version. The light looked just as bright, but the leds started to flicker after a while. Swapped one of the three lamps back to a 35w tungsten and all were stable, so reasoned the transformer couldn't cope with such a low load.

Bought this item to replace the original transformer and all now works as it should. It's a nice small item that easily fits through the cut out for the lamp.

Delivery was excellent, just a day or two after the order, so overall I am very pleased with the purchase.
on 12 October 2012
If you replace 12V halogen bulbs with the new generation of LED bulbs, you will also need to replace the transformer as the power consumption is so much lower. This transformer works in that it powers the lights, BUT it causes radio interference, even through walls!
I recommend finding an alternative make.
VINE VOICEon 13 February 2013
Great little box at a great price and with free delivery. Our kitchen has 15 G4 cabinet 'under-lights' which are 20w halogen, and of course most of the electricity they consume creates heat not light. They are also hungry for power. We have about 5 solid state 'transformers' dotted around the kitchen which provide a suitable amount of power and are rated at 60w. My previous attempt, however, just to swop the halogen with more efficient LED lamps promptly caused the bulb to fry, so I thought I had better replace the power supply too, when making a fresh attempt with LED G4 bulbs. After switching the mains power off, this job was easy to do, and this little LED driver, is currently powering two LED lights at 1.5w each - the new bulbs run slightly warm but give off nice bright-white light without fuss or protest; and I suspect the little box could supply more if and when asked to do so.
on 7 November 2013
Not the usual problem that occurs when you replace halogen bulbs with low energy ones but every time I turned the lights off the lights would flash 2 or 3 times. I was using it to drive three 4 watt bulbs so a total of 12 watts in line with the maximum rating of the driver. I have now swapped the driver for an 18 watt one from the LLLC and I'm happy with it. I am using the 12 watt driver with two 4 watt bulbs. I still get a flicker when turning the lights off but not as pronounced as before. Just a dodgy driver I guess, I would send it back but that would mean getting up in the loft again, etc.

The product itself small, light but has very fiddly holes to connect the wires. The ones from the lights were ok as they had a connector on but connecting the wires from the ring main was much trickier and frustrating. A standard 'electrical chocolate box' style of connector would be much better.
on 5 February 2014
I replaced the GU4 lamps in my kitchen downlighters, units and under cabinet. This worked ,however the old transformers caused the lamps to flicker every now and then and make a buzzing sound from the lamps. On investigation the transformers in my kitchen were the old ones which supplied 12v ac to the lamps. Changing the drivers to these items fixed eveything. Silent and a better light.

One tip make sure you order the correct wattage driver for the amount of lamps. just add them up and order the next size up driver
on 14 December 2011
This transformer was neatly packaged and delivered promptly. It came with clear instructions and was simple to install. I bought it, along with an LED bulb, as a trial replacement for 50W and 35W halogen MR16 downlighters in the kitchen.

It is working well. The only note of caution I would add is that the cable connection is not big enough to take normal lighting circuit cable on a loop-in loop-out basis. I got around this by using it on the last bulb in my circuit.
on 4 March 2012
Whilst this is a very low priced product that works well, I cannot understand why this, like most LED drivers, does not come ready wired; especially as halogen transformers are neary always ready wired. I would be prepared to pay more for this product if I didn't have to fiddle around wiring it myself. And "fiddle" is the right word because the wiring block terminals are far too small for the recommended 0.75 mm2 diameter lighting cable, so it is extremely difficult to get the wires into the terminals.
on 15 February 2014
Purchased this transformer to operate a well known make 7w LED bulb, bulb just flashed on and off, fitted a Hispec 20-60va transformer that I had for another job, bulb now operating correctly. Suspect 12w transformer rating suspect or just plain faulty. Going to return for a refund.
on 19 December 2015
I bought two of these to replace a single transformer when I replaced short life halogen capsules for (hopefully) long life LED capsules in a bathroom mirror.

I needed two as one didn't quite deliver the total wattage needed and I only had room for a very thin driver so was unable to use a higher power, but thicker one.

Easy to fit, seems well made, good value and works a treat, to be recommend. Shortly to buy more for other illuminated mirrors in the house.