Colour: Cream|Change

on 3 February 2010
Having owned one or two coffee machines in my time I have to say the Magimix Citiz Milk is fantastic!!
If I'm being totally honest our lifestyle leaves us little time to be messing round with complicated and longwinded pieces of equipment in order to make a simple cup of coffee so when this machine was recommended to us (mainly due to ease of use) we bought it primarily for this reason and it is certainly far surpassed any of our expectations not only in usability but the quality too!
When the machine arrived it was a few simple steps before we were enjoying our first cup of real coffee and what a darn good cup of coffee too! I have to say I never realised how awful instant coffee really is until this lol.
The main thing I love about this machine is the separate milk bit. My husband particularly enjoys a latte whereas I (forever watching my figure lol) have it with just a drop of milk, so for hubby, he simply pops his milk into the milk frother and pours it nice & hot into his coffee whilst I will make my coffee and add a little cold milk afterwards.
Back to the ease of use issue, as with previous machines we have had, they got little use simply because it proved so much hassle making a coffee then all the cleaning afterwards. With the Nespresso, it's simples. You fill the water tank with fresh water, switch the machine on and wait for it to heat which incidentally is very quick, then pop your coffee pod into the top. If your having milk in the frother you put that in and switch it on to do it's bit. Meanwhile select your cup size from large or small and press! When the milk is ready you add it to it and voila, you have a perfect cup of coffee!
Cleaning is a synch as I just rinse the milk pot and leave the machine till the end of the day then just empty the water tank, empty the water tray and discard the used coffee pods. Every week I'll give it a more thorough clean.
This machine gets used daily and trying all the different coffees is brilliant! I can honestly not recommend the nespresso's highly enough. All in all a superb machine that delivers a superb cup of coffee and is a total pleasure to use!
If your in the market for a new coffee machine, buy it, you won't be disappointed :-)

UPDATE Sept 2012 - Thought I'd add a quick update on my review.
After 3yrs, 3 months of owning this machine I have to say our opinion has still not changed even though we are now looking to buy a new one seeing as the part that holds the coffee pods seems to have slipped so the pod falls through every time! Still, considering this machine has been used consistently every day about 3-4 times a day, I think this has given us a pretty fair deal.
The coffee is still fabulous and delivers a perfect coffee every time although I would hate to tot up the sheer amount of money we have spent on this over the time we've owned it!! Yes they are expensive....we spend about £75 every 4-6 weeks!!!
Now it is time to lay our machine to rest, we will definitely be looking at buying another Magimix nespresso model although this time it will be without the milk frother as we find we no longer use this.

Hope this review helps some of you with the decision of to buy or not to buy :-) x
11 comment|157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 October 2010
I have been using this coffee machine for the past year now and can confirm that it does provide you with good espressos, lattes and cappuccinos. It is very straight forward to use and there are no finicky bits another plus point is that the machine has a 3 year guarantee.

But I have realised that with my preference of making cappuccinos or lattes I need to use two nespresso capsules. Then again this may be due to the strength of the coffee that I like or because of the size of my mug :-).

Another thing I realised is that I need to preheat my mug to ensure that my latte or cappuccino stays hot.

One negative if you consider it, is the cleaning of the milk frother as you cannot submerge in water. I found out by trial and error that if you use a baby's bottle brush it's a breeze to clean it.

All in all it is a good coffee machine.
33 comments|37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 January 2010
I first saw this model at a friends house and although I loved the cup of coffee she made me I felt it could have been a bit hotter. Decided to buy one anyway and if you follow the instructions to the letter you will get a very hot cup of coffee. You must run some water through first before you put the pod in the machine, to warm up the pipes and it helps if you put your cup under the hot tap in your sink for a minute to pre heat it before you put the coffee in.
22 comments|103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 September 2009
I bought this to replace another coffee maker and am I pleased I did! It makes what can only be described as 'real' coffee - excellent! I purchased the Nespresso on the recommendation of a friend and a number of other friends have now also bought it having sampled coffees from my machine! It's a definite winner! If you need help and advice from Nespresso, their customer service personnel are very helpful and the quality of the machine and accessories is first rate.
on 27 November 2009
I'm a coffee lover. I love a starbucks cappuccino to start the day and have tried many machines over the years. I was initally put off by the idea of a pod/capsule system but having tried the bean to cup machines etc it gets messy and you soon get put off using it regularly.

This machine is well built and the capsules just drop in then disappear into the chamber for emptying later (holds about 10 used ones before needing emptying.

Most importantly, the coffee is as good if not better than what you'd drink out. Add the milk frother and you will be amazed. Worth the extra for this model with the built in milk frother as you only have one power plug then too.

The two buttons, espresso and lungo (long drink) can be set to your own amount of water so you can make it fill a long american coffee cup to suit your cups (this I think isn't clearly documented on the description here but is a great feature. Just press and hold down the button until your cup is full then release - it remembers that forever then!).

Ordering the capsules is easy, just order on-line and they are delivered next day by UPS (even the standard delivery is next day it seems).

Finally, the machine is covered by 3 years warranty. If the machine breaks down they will send you a replacement whilst they repair/replace yours. Superb.
0Comment|109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 December 2009
Having read the reviews for Nespresso machines on amazon I decided to listen to the many recommendations that had been made for the various machines. I opted for this model as I thought it would be a simpler task sorting out the milk.

I've had it for 3 days now and just made the cappuccino I was hoping to taste. The build quality of the machine appears good and the 3 year warranty would seem to indicate that they have some faith in the machine. Making a coffee couldn't be simpler and the milk heater/frother works effectively once you get the hang of it and make sure that the milk you put in is cold and straight from the fridge.

The simplicity of the machine means that I have time to make a coffee before darting out to work at 7am something I wouldn't be doing if grinding, tamping etc... was involved. I like strong coffee and I must say I've been impressed with the quality and taste of the coffee, certainly no different than most coffee shops and you have the opportunity to make sure you get the mix right for your own tastes (for me that means very little milk and more froth) something that often is quite variable at coffee shops.

Ordering from the Nespresso website was easy and standard delivery came the next day. I am a little bit concerned about the level of waste but apparrently you can recycle the pods, something I will check.

I haven't owned other espresso machines and in the past have used a french press, however I have been impressed with the quality of the coffee made with this machine.

One of the only negatives I have so far is the design of the milk frother which means you have to be careful when cleaning/washing it as the element is part of it meaning you can't dip it in water and need to use a wet cloth. However, this hasn't been too much of a pain and certainly something I can live with given how well the machine works otherwise. Certainly something I would recommend.
0Comment|122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 May 2010
I did quite a bit of research before buying this machine, but what clinched it was when I saw one behind the bar in a hotel in Scotland (to my surprise, it's for domestic use I thought) and I asked the manager what did he think of the machine ? He replied with one word - "outstanding". The next day I ordered it.

In the pictures it looks a bit quirky - in the flesh it oozes quality and looks fantastic. It performs superbly.

Bullet points:

Espresso is perfect, hot and with a good crema
Aeroccino frothing device is easy to use, easy to clean and very effective. I read one review saying it was fiddly to clean - not at all. It takes about 80 seconds to produce hot milk or hot frothy milk, depending on your preference. While it's doing that, you make your espresso.
Extensive choice of capsules available. Delivery service is excellent (we use them at work also)

Even my wife who is a technophobe and calls me "gadget man" has started making herself a latte on a regular basis.

Negative points - absolutely none. Cannot fault it in any way.
22 comments|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 August 2010
This great little machine was recommended to us by friends and they were spot on. Having just returned from living in Italy for 3 years we wanted a machine that could produce a decent cappuccino or espresso without the fuss of grinding the beans or huge amounts of cleaning.
The Magimix meets our needs very well and Nespresso provide a great range of pods to suit all tastes. I'd say the espresso is as good as the worst I've had in an Italian coffee bar (that's a compliment as I've never had a bad one).
I'll need to practice more on the cappuccinos to get them perfect but the milk frother is an excellent addition and much easier than trying to do it yourself.
Our neighbours in Italy bought a machine that was a domestic version of those used in bars for more than 2,000 euros but there's no way that type of investment is worthwhile when you can get the Magimix for less than 200 pounds.
on 9 August 2013
I bought this product back in May 2011, over 2-years ago. I use it most weekends and some week days and use it primarily for cappuccino, although my partner does make the occasional americano.

It produces consistently excellent coffee, has proven to be extremely reliable and is working as well today as it did on day one. I bought a Nespresso de-scaling kit which I've used once, which has been enough to keep it healthy.

This is a great looking addition to any kitchen. It replaced a dedicated, manual espresso machine and while I did enjoy the manual approach and convincing myself I am a barista, the convenience of this machine is by far the better option and doesn't come with any sacrifice in quality.

I have learned a useful tip though - run a short hot water through it first. This not only flushes through any leftovers from the previous go, but it ensures your coffee comes out really very hot (too hot for me to drink at first). The temperature is often the main complaint about machines like this, but this one has proven excellent and running a short hot water through first really helps improve that fact.

So given the fact I'm writing this so far after buying, you can be sure you're getting a reliable, high-quality Nespresso machine that produces excellent results.
on 12 May 2010
Finally, a great cup of coffee at home! I had tried BOTH the Braun and Bosch Tassimo machines and was disappointed with all the coffee varieties on offer (too bitter and burnt, not much variation in taste between the varieties, and nasty UHT milk pods). So i checked the Which review for this product (3rd best coffee machine after the proper Gaggia's) and took the plunge (again). I am so pleased i did, the espresso from this is excellent and just as important (for making cappuccino and latte) the milk frother is an absolute marvel - so easy to use and perfect results. The frother also makes a nice cup of hot chocolate, and i read you can use it to make a chai latte also.

The build quality is excellent, its quite heavy for such a small piece of kit and it all feels solid and not flimsy.

The coffee pods can only be ordered online. Its not a big deal, ordered on the Monday and they arrived on Tuesday, delivered by Fed Ex!

The coffee pods make great coffee, the Ristretto makes a VERY strong espresso but there are lots of variations on flavour and strength available.

If you are debating a coffee pod machine, then i recommend this one (or perhaps any Nespresso machine) it delivers a coffee shop quality drink. It is more expensive than those other pod/capsule machines but you really do get what you pay.

Update: After a few months of using this its still going great. Running out of coffee pods is a great excuse to buy a different variety, the quality of the coffee is excellent, there is no comprise for having this in your own kitchen. The problem now is i seldom go out to the coffee chains, or when i do i realise how bad the coffee is they make.
0Comment|91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse