5.0 out of 5 stars Really good quality
I'm really happy with this, it's a brilliant design, with plenty of room for a good portion size of pasta or salad, and the compartments can be removed completely for the more conventional space for sandwiches etc.
Published on 14 April 2010 by Chopsticks

2.0 out of 5 stars Great design, brilliant concept, but poor construction
First off, this is a brilliant concept and I immediately fell in love with the design, the seemingly "high-quality" materials and the gorgeous finishing (the box looks like a porcelain serving dish and the lid looks like made of glass!)
When I first got it, everyone at my office was quite impressed and got it's fair share of wows.

However after...
Published 5 months ago by GizmoGeek

2.0 out of 5 stars Great design, brilliant concept, but poor construction, 26 May 2014
GizmoGeek (Hounslow, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black + Blum Box Appetit, Lime (Kitchen & Home)

However after months of use, a few things about this aren't quite what they seem:

1. The two smaller containers inside are neither air-tight nor stay in their place; so unless you carry the lunch box perfectly flat, they *will* move about and any sauces you happen to have inside them will find themselves all over the inside of the lunch box.

2. The lunch box is fairly airtight, however since it has hinges only on two sides instead of all four, it *has* leaked on occasions (my lunch almost always contains a good amount of sauce). This isn't necessarily a product flaw as much as it is bad design and I wish future iterations of this lunch box come with latches on all four sides.

3. Finally, the sides of the lid aren't particularly strong and in my case have developed fine cracks on the two sides having hinges. This is, again, bad design because the inner edges of the lid are quite thin compared to the rest of the lid.

After around 9 months of daily use, the hinge guide mechanism on the lid has broken, rendering this beautiful lunch box no longer airtight, and in my case, useless.
Its a shame really, because the box is quite pretty and I still use it at home.

So in conclusion, while I laud Black+Blum for a really pretty take on an otherwise boring everyday item, some bad design choices have resulted in a not-so-recommendable product, and one that looks much better than it really it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good quality, 14 April 2010
This review is from: Black + Blum Box Appetit, Lime (Kitchen & Home)
The seal around the edge of the lid is very tight, handy when you don't want pasta sauce os salad dressing going everywhere (haven't tried it with soup tho... with be a bit much for it to handle)! so far i have had absolutely no leaks after a week of trying out different things in it, even if it's on it's size in my bag.
i would recommend this to anyone, it looks really smart and the only thing bad about it is you generally have to carry the fork separately in a small food bag to keep it clean as there is nowhere in the box to store it once you load it up with food, unless you are only using the small corner compartment. Over the week tho, definitely hasn't been too much of a bother, very glad i bought it!! :)

i wold note, it comes with too inner compartments with lids, one designed for something like dipping sauce or salad dressing and a larger one if you want to have salad in the center and pasta or couscous as a side portion. The lid also has a small circular moulding, which functions as a dip bowl for you to pour the sauce into. on either side of the box there are strong flaps which pull down over edges to lock the lid in place securely. beware it's only microwavable for 2 mins max, despite this the box is very strong and solid feeling.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great looks, but a liar underneath, 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: Black + Blum Box Appetit, Lime (Kitchen & Home)
These look great, don't they?

Whilst the aesthetic design is great, sadly not all other design aspects were so well thought through.

"The 'glass like' lid locks to the body for a water tight seal ... Microwave and dishwasher safe."

For the limited use mine has received, the plastic has warped, either in the microwave of the dishwasher. Not 'significantly' - you wouldn't notice it to look at. It's when you put it together and it leaks. It's when you close it and it doesn't clasp easily or correctly - the reason, I believe, other reviewers have complained the hinge clasps snapped. It's when the inner boxes once fit, but now don't.

Of course, if this warping occurred in the microwave, then what might I have ingested?

On the subject of inner boxes, they don't close correctly, or at least don't any more. Frustrated the outer box failed clasp shut, I cracked an inner box attempting to get it shut before I realised the outer box had warped. The only plus side is this suggests warping might have occurred in the dishwasher, but that's scarcely comforting.

In short, this is a great looking box, provided you ignore their marketing. If you never plan on microwaving it, intend to wash it by hand, and can overlook the minor detail the fork was clearly planned to fit the wrong way up (their name is on the handle facing prongs up) then you will love it. Otherwise, if like me, you intended to use it to their description, I would advise against it. It's not built for the purpose stated, and you will only end up disappointed.

I had planned on purchasing other Black + Blum products later, as they look good and appear quite functional. Now, however, I don't plan to purchase anything further from them, which is regrettable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks good but leaks (not water tight as claimed), 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: Black + Blum Box Appetit, Lime (Kitchen & Home)
***Avoid and buy something that doesn't leak***

It's a well designed lunchbox aesthetically speaking and the plastic doesn't stain even with beetroot. However the two lunchboxes I ordered both leak and are in no way water tight. Which is not great for the price and very misleading in their advertising.

*Update*
I contacted their customer service and they sent 2 replacement boxes. Unfortunately these two boxes also leak. I was also told it was probably my fault as I didn't replace the seal correctly. I actually tested these on arrival and they leaked straight from the manufacturer.

At this point I am unsure whether this is a design or manufacturing flaw but I can't see how they can claim these boxes are water tight when they clearly are not.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretty lunchbox but unfortunately it LEAKS!!!, 10 Aug 2014
Length:: 0:32 Mins

Having purchased two of the black & red lunchboxes (both sizes) as recommended by a work colleague, I am sorely disappointed with this product. Am waiting to hear back from my work colleague to see if he has had a similar problem after putting it in the microwave.

Must point out that I have used the lunchbox a handful of times, and both my lunchboxes have bowed on the lid and now they leak. For the price tag of what this costs compared to your usual standard lock and clip tupperware lunch boxes, this fails to meet the standard and is definitely not fit for purpose.

Normally I wouldn't bother wasting my time to make a video and would just stick to writing a review of my experience of using the product. You should be able to see from my uploaded vid on here that this product isn't worth buying (unless you are intending on using the lunchbox for dry food / non liquids).

1.0 out of 5 stars I hate it, 1 Feb 2014
Amiram Levi (Savyon, X Israel) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black + Blum Box Appetit, Lime (Kitchen & Home)
I bought 2 boxes for my kids to take to school. Looks very smart but the boxes kept opening while in their bags.
Another thing is that the small salad sauce container is leaking. Happens with both boxes.
Wrote an email to the manufacturer and didn’t even get a response.

Can't recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, but..., 25 Nov 2011
This review is from: Black + Blum Box Appetit, Lime (Kitchen & Home)
I loved this when I first bought it - it's spacious with great inserts and is lovely to look at. Sadly, after a dozen or so uses, the clasp for the lid snapped and I ended up throwing it away as the lid would not stay on.

I have the smaller bento size of this design - I'm a little afraid to use it as I don't want this one to go the same way.

In summary: Stylish deisgn, but not very strong.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice to look at, but wash it by hand, 10 Sep 2014
This review is from: Black + Blum Box Appetit, Lime (Kitchen & Home)
Pros:
-elegant design
-flexibility
-capacity

Con:
-durability

I was initially very pleased with this item. A neat, eye-pleasing design whose removable internal compartments gave me a range of options, allowing for a decently-sized lunch with several different components. The flat profile also makes carriage in a laptop bag or similar quite easy. A cut above the old ice-cream tubs I had been using.

The con is a killer, though. This item is NOT, as b+b claim, dishwasher-safe, or anywhere near. Mine started to leak after a month, and inspection revealed that the main seal, catches, sauce-pot lid and inner dish lid had all warped to some extent, and didn't fit properly any more. The main lid also developed cracks, although I may have caused these by having to force the buckled catches into place.

A real shame. It's an elegant thing, and I still use the main box if I'm just taking dry food, but it can't be used for anything with any liquid component. Back to the ice-cream tubs for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible - *New Lid Available*, 1 May 2011
This review is from: Black + Blum Box Appetit, Lime (Kitchen & Home)
My lid broke after using it for 4 days, I was pretty gutted but I just emailed the company and they sent a new lid first class and I got it the next day (free of charge). I was then told there going to be developing a new type of lid that fixes this problem. Once the new lid was developed and in production they sent it out free of charge again. It works perfectly.

Get one now and you wont be disappointed. The new lid is very very durable. Totally worth the money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for getting liquid food on all of your prised electrical products!, 10 Sep 2014
This review is from: Black + Blum Box Appetit, Lime (Kitchen & Home)
They sell this product as some sort of wonder of design engineering but it's the complete opposite. I've bought two of these, one for me and one for my girlfriend and after 6 months of pretty modest use both of them have cracked, warped and are no longer airtight. Soup now drips haphazardly into my bag ruining books, laptops and whatever else it touches. Good work guys!

This seems to be something that has been experienced by other customers but I haven't even been dish-washing it so it must be due to microwave use. One clue I found was this idiotic fact they give on their website that 're-heating food for over three minutes in the microwave actually starts to cook it' which I presume is there way of saying don't leave it in the microwave for too long otherwise the whole thing breaks.

Genuinely fight the urge to buy this thing! Although it is looks like a great bit of hipster lunch box design it is in fact a pile of s***.
I'm now going to go and buy something that looks awful but actually works.

Black + Blum Box Appetit, Lime