5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful stuff
Although my interest in the music of Mike Oldfield began with Tubular Bells I only really started collecting his albums in the late 80s. Usually it took a few listens to really appreciate his work but only one album ever impressed me on the first listen - Ommadawn.
In the past few years a number of acts have proclaimed themselves to be the first to produce...
Published on 31 Oct. 2000 by Mr. S. Carlin

3.0 out of 5 stars Nearly but not quite.
Treading a path through Oldfield's musical career has always been like walking through a mine field so a bit of guidance can be called for.

Ommadawn is perhaps Oldfield's crowning glory and an album a lot of the Oldfield faithful prefer to Tubular Bells and I agree. Sadly though Oldfield has tinkered a little too much with the mix on this release, sadder still...
Published on 6 Aug. 2012 by Edward Leedskalnin

5.0 out of 5 stars Ommadawn, 27 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Ommadawn (Audio CD)
Mike Oldfield creates beautiful music. This Album is one of his earlier works and would recommend this to all age groups.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as I remembered, 23 Mar. 2014
Mrs. M. Macdonald (Shetland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ommadawn (Audio CD)
Had this on tape many moons ago. It was great getting reaquainted. Really is Mike Oldfield as I remember him.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 16 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Ommadawn (Audio CD)
fantastic had forgot how good it was play on the way to work gets me ready for a hard day

5.0 out of 5 stars whoops, 20 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Ommadawn (Audio CD)
I've gone and bought the sacd by mistake, bet it sounds good, but who knows? not me

4.0 out of 5 stars A short nugget of pure genius..., 28 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Ommadawn (Audio CD)
Thirty years on and time has been pretty unfair to "Ommadawn". Clever and skilful in its mixing of Celtic and African styles it was, quite rightly, lauded as "groundbreaking" on its release. Today, shorn of this interest, its fundamental weaknesses - in particular, its heavy handed production and Oldfield's simplistic, overly loud and "fuzz drenched" guitar breaks - show it up to be a fairly "average" album. And, in the bombastic instrumental work-outs on track 2 and the banal, hippie drenched lyrics of its "hidden" track 3, it stands as a near perfect example of everything that punk was shouting back at in 1977.

But in there (12 minutes 30 seconds into track 1 to be precise) is something quite magical... seven minutes of glorious music that has not only stood the test of time but which remains, to this day, one of the most exquisite and exciting things you may ever hear. Driven along by African drumming and an evocative vocal chant, and including some wonderfully discordant brass flourishes and Oldfield's screeching (and in this case, wholly effective) guitarwork, it builds from a beautifully atmospheric & understated three minute start into a thrilling and abrupt climax before switching, quite brilliantly, into the soft and evocative back-beat of the Jabula drums. A short nugget of pure genius - you've spent your money on much worse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than Tubular, 16 Mar. 2015
M. Raven (Ilkeston, UK) - See all my reviews
Inspired genius. Much better than Tubular Bells

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Nostalgia Trip!, 17 Jan. 2013
This and Hergest Ridge were two of my favourite albums in their day - even though my vinyl copies were pretty worn out. I'm glad to say that this on e is still as good as I remembered it to be. Plus the addition of some alternative mixes which are also great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, as is most of Mike Oldfields work, 10 Aug. 2014
Brilliant ,as is most of Mike Oldfields work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 31 Oct. 2014
Mr. James S. Edmondson (u.k.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ommadawn (Audio CD)
better than hergest ridge in my opinion

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, not what I expected, 23 July 2012
This review is from: Ommadawn (Audio CD)
When the original was released back in the late 70s, it fast became one of my favourite pieces of music. In due course, I lost my recording, so when I discovered it on YouTube recently, I was overjoyed. Call me an idiot, but I don't particularly relish listening to fine music for free; after all, the musicians need to earn a living. Besides, at £4.99 that's now far less than a pack of 20 Superkings.

I guess, however, that I should have read the accompanying notes, for this is a remastered copy of the original. Now while that means everything is going to sound that little bit clearer - no bad thing, it does also mean that there is the potential for changes to the balance of instruments, new harmonies added, old ones removed etc, and you could end up with something completely different.

This is where the difference between Oldfield's approach and classical composition becomes apparent. The classical composer, due to his skill and brilliance, is able to have the perfect manuscript translated into music, with all the little nuances intact and composed and orchestrated for optimum impact.

No doubt about it, Mike is a brilliant, brilliant musician, and I wish I could do what he does, but you cannot better the original Ommadawn.

There are places in the new version where he's mucked about with it, and that's not what we Mike Oldfield fans want. So, if anyone has an original version that they would like to swap with this new version, let me know. And that goes for you as well Mike, I also lived in Reading.

Ommadawn
Ommadawn by Mike Oldfield (Audio CD - 2010)