Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 May 2014
I had read reviews on this page about this re-mixed 2010 version of Hergest Ridge and must admit I had reservations about buying it.

However I did and I have to say I was quite surprised. I already own the 2000 re-master which is basically the original version made good for CD. This 2010 version is a completely different mix.

It reminded me of the version that was released with the "Boxed" collection back in the 70's with all of the vocals over Spanish Tune bought right up in the mix which make it sound fresher than the original. Yes there are moments of odd timing between some of the instruments that stand out in this mix but overall it's still a great piece of work and well worth owning.

My only complaint if you can call it that is that once again we have "Extra Bonus-tracks" tagged on the end of the main album. I wish record companies would stop doing this and maybe just put those tracks on a separate CD so that we can hear the main album from start to finish and then listen to the Bonus tracks separately if we feel so inclined. Lets face it half of the time they are only demo versions or rough mixes of tracks already on the main album anyway!

If you were a fan of the original version of this album then the 2010 re-mix may take you a while to get used to but try it anyway you may be as surprised as I was!
on 9 August 2015
'Hergest Ridge' is, in my opinion, an often overlooked gem in the early firmament of Mr Oldfields oeuvre.
The second album to be released by Oldfield (in 1974), it followed on from the ground-breaking and incredibly successful 'Tubular Bells' (TB); it's usually to be found fully and firmly in its elder siblings shadow.
Hergest Ridge is, for those who didn't know or realise, a large elongated hill which traverses the England-Welsh border. The cover from the album features scenery from the Ridge as well as an Itish Woolfhound (apparently called Bootleg) on the LP label cover.
Mike Oldfield retreated from the overwhelming public attention he received after Tubular Bells was released, and lived near to the ridge during the process for this second album.
If your interest is to find note-by-note reviews on the album; all ithat s required is a quick web search, and if that is your interest then it might be best to move on to another review now.

For me, this (2010 reissue) mix is subtle, evocative and full of depth and 'flavour', showing the multi instrumentalist at his absolute best.
The two movements open and widen the ground laid down by TB, but enhance it, further defining it in subtle but important ways.
Listening to both TB and HR back to back gives an extra dimension to both and is a sonic treat. Listen to HR on its own and you can sink into the myriad tone and phrases that the artist weaves around you in a subtle but impressive manner.
The mix and audio quality of this issue is clear and warm and, as is often the case with his work, Oldfield's playing is sublime.
If TB is a tour de force, then Hergest Ridge is a subtle reinforcement of the genre of music that (perhaps apart from Jarre) is Oldfirld's alone.
In the 1970's, these early Oldfield albums were astounding, unexpected, revolutionary, and even today, settling down to listen to Hergest Ridge and rediscovering such a sharply realised work is an audio treat - on this specific version you also have bonus tracks of 'In Dulci Jubilo' and 'Spanish Tune'.
Both are great songs but I prefer to listen to the album as originally intended and, if I have the time, in tandem with Tubular Bells.
So, for me, this is a must-have album. Overlooked and in shadow, this younger sibling is well worth the investment of time and money.
Enjoy.
on 16 March 2015
This is one of my favourite Mike Oldfield albums but the re-mix is terrible as the sound is very muffled and some of the instruments are brought way too much to the fore while others are put to the background and an album like this deserves something better. To anyone looking to buy it I'd probably skip it and try and get a hold of the original CD or the Boxed version. Big letdown and I've decided to go back to listening to the version on Youtube, way better.
on 20 February 2013
Hergest Ridge was one of my all-time favourites in its original release on vinyl. Bot, oh dear, this re-mastered version is not good. It's lost all the subtlety of the original and, in places, actually just sounds a downright mess. Very disappointed indeed.
on 16 January 2016
My friend told me this is the best Mike Oldfield album. I was quite suspicious because though I knew he was a true MO expert. So I ordered Hergest Ridge and found it very good. All typical Oldfield elements are here (of course). But melodically this i not so strong as albums before and after, which both are 5 star albums for me.Hergest Ridge is kind of a calm album which will satisfye you if you're friend of MO's music.
on 30 November 2010
This album was a very fine follow up to Tubular bells.
This remastered edition was strange getting used to as it sounds quite different to the original in parts.
However once you get over the dissimilarity the album is a very fine piece of work from Mr Oldfield.
on 16 June 2010
I had waited for this release for a while, my LP (!) is worn out, I missed the originla CD, and wasn't prepared to pay silly money for a "collectable". I have now listened to the "Re-mastered" version several times, and I am seriously disappointed. Overall, it sounds like a re-mix of mostly sub-standard passages from the original sessions, with no cohesive atmosphere - which the original had in bucket-loads. Example: Who let the 7 year-old on the plastic Woolworths guitar in to the moody keyboard pasage 12 minutes into Part 1? And Part 2 has lost a lot of it's edge and become muddled. On the positive side - the sleeve notes are really good. Informative notes, and an interesting looking walk along Hergest Ridge which I will make sure I do one day. I know things move on, and technology now provides far better recording quality than was possible in the 70s, but I'm sorry Mike - can we have the original re-released. Please.
44 comments|8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 September 2011
I bought this for £[] and I will probably never listen to it again.
This version had Hergest Ridge - along with the onerous warning "2010 Stereo Mixes by Mike Oldfield" - along with In Dulcio Jubilo (For Maureen) and Spanish Tune.

Mike Oldfield should resist the temptation to re-visit his classics and 'remix' them. If you like Hergest Ridge then stay away from these mixes, they just spoil the memory of a great piece of work. The entire remix is clumsy at best and awful at worst.
I have suffered from 'The emperors new clothes' with regards Mike's later works. I loved Music of the Spheres but my wife summed it up with "doesn't he know any other tunes?".

As a fan of his music I have put up with - and bought - his remixes, revisits, re-imaginings and re-hashes but I'm afraid that this is the last straw.

How about some new stuff Mike - and not Tubular Bells 46 or Ommadawn reversed.

I could just imagine Mike Oldfield (the Musician) sitting in the studio when he first recorded Hergest Ridge being approached by Mike Oldfield (the remixer) and being told "this is how I really want it to sound". There would have been blood on the mixing desk.

Mike leave the kids alone, they've got lives of their own. Give them some brothers and sisters to be proud of.

I gave this review 2 stars, only because I could bear to give Hergest Ridge a 1 star review. See, I'm still suffering.
on 23 March 2014
Had this on tape many moons ago. It was great getting reaquainted. Really is Mike Oldfield as I remember him.
on 21 August 2013
I used to have this on vinyl but I've moved home so many times in the past ten years that it's disappeared, along with various other treasured possessions. Great to be able to listen to it again.
Bit miffed Mike Oldfield didn't remember my birthday this year, though