4.0 out of 5 stars Better Than I Expected!
I had read reviews on this page about this re-mixed 2010 version of Hergest Ridge and must admit I had reservations about buying it.

However I did and I have to say I was quite surprised. I already own the 2000 re-master which is basically the original version made good for CD. This 2010 version is a completely different mix.

It reminded me of the...
Published 12 months ago by Joe

2.0 out of 5 stars Great album but a poor mix.
Published 1 month ago by K. Feeney

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Better Than I Expected!, 9 May 2014
Joe (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hergest Ridge (Audio CD)

It reminded me of the version that was released with the "Boxed" collection back in the 70's with all of the vocals over Spanish Tune bought right up in the mix which make it sound fresher than the original. Yes there are moments of odd timing between some of the instruments that stand out in this mix but overall it's still a great piece of work and well worth owning.

My only complaint if you can call it that is that once again we have "Extra Bonus-tracks" tagged on the end of the main album. I wish record companies would stop doing this and maybe just put those tracks on a separate CD so that we can hear the main album from start to finish and then listen to the Bonus tracks separately if we feel so inclined. Lets face it half of the time they are only demo versions or rough mixes of tracks already on the main album anyway!

If you were a fan of the original version of this album then the 2010 re-mix may take you a while to get used to but try it anyway you may be as surprised as I was!

4.0 out of 5 stars A very fine follow up!, 30 Nov. 2010
Philip N. Roberts (Barry, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hergest Ridge (Audio CD)
This album was a very fine follow up to Tubular bells.
This remastered edition was strange getting used to as it sounds quite different to the original in parts.
However once you get over the dissimilarity the album is a very fine piece of work from Mr Oldfield.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great album but a poor mix., 16 Mar. 2015
K. Feeney "blacktop99" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hergest Ridge (MP3 Download)
This is one of my favourite Mike Oldfield albums but the re-mix is terrible as the sound is very muffled and some of the instruments are brought way too much to the fore while others are put to the background and an album like this deserves something better. To anyone looking to buy it I'd probably skip it and try and get a hold of the original CD or the Boxed version. Big letdown and I've decided to go back to listening to the version on Youtube, way better.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, 23 Mar. 2014
Mrs. M. Macdonald (Shetland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hergest Ridge (Audio CD)
Had this on tape many moons ago. It was great getting reaquainted. Really is Mike Oldfield as I remember him.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear...., 20 Feb. 2013
A. J. Richards (Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hergest Ridge (Audio CD)
Hergest Ridge was one of my all-time favourites in its original release on vinyl. Bot, oh dear, this re-mastered version is not good. It's lost all the subtlety of the original and, in places, actually just sounds a downright mess. Very disappointed indeed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 24 Nov. 2014
Alan P. Stokes (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hergest Ridge (Audio CD)
Rare one from the past but good if you like Mike Oldfield bit sad however

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent goods, great value, 13 Oct. 2014
Anthony Whelpton "datonuk" (north east UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hergest Ridge (Audio CD)
Rapid delivery, excellent goods, great value. Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing., 30 Oct. 2014
Mr. James S. Edmondson (u.k.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hergest Ridge (Audio CD)
always wanted to hear this on c.d. amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Hergest Ridge (Audio CD)
I love Mike & Terry Oldfield's music.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor shadow of its former self, 16 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Hergest Ridge (Audio CD)
I had waited for this release for a while, my LP (!) is worn out, I missed the originla CD, and wasn't prepared to pay silly money for a "collectable". I have now listened to the "Re-mastered" version several times, and I am seriously disappointed. Overall, it sounds like a re-mix of mostly sub-standard passages from the original sessions, with no cohesive atmosphere - which the original had in bucket-loads. Example: Who let the 7 year-old on the plastic Woolworths guitar in to the moody keyboard pasage 12 minutes into Part 1? And Part 2 has lost a lot of it's edge and become muddled. On the positive side - the sleeve notes are really good. Informative notes, and an interesting looking walk along Hergest Ridge which I will make sure I do one day. I know things move on, and technology now provides far better recording quality than was possible in the 70s, but I'm sorry Mike - can we have the original re-released. Please.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Hergest Ridge
Hergest Ridge by Mike Oldfield (Audio CD - 2010)