4.0 out of 5 stars A very fine follow up!
This album was a very fine follow up to Tubular bells.
This remastered edition was strange getting used to as it sounds quite different to the original in parts.
However once you get over the dissimilarity the album is a very fine piece of work from Mr Oldfield.
Published on 30 Nov 2010 by Philip N. Roberts

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear....
Hergest Ridge was one of my all-time favourites in its original release on vinyl. Bot, oh dear, this re-mastered version is not good. It's lost all the subtlety of the original and, in places, actually just sounds a downright mess. Very disappointed indeed.
Published 19 months ago by A. J. Richards

4.0 out of 5 stars A very fine follow up!, 30 Nov 2010
Philip N. Roberts (Barry, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hergest Ridge (Audio CD)
This album was a very fine follow up to Tubular bells.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better Than I Expected!, 9 May 2014
Joe (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hergest Ridge (Audio CD)
I had read reviews on this page about this re-mixed 2010 version of Hergest Ridge and must admit I had reservations about buying it.

However I did and I have to say I was quite surprised. I already own the 2000 re-master which is basically the original version made good for CD. This 2010 version is a completely different mix.

It reminded me of the version that was released with the "Boxed" collection back in the 70's with all of the vocals over Spanish Tune bought right up in the mix which make it sound fresher than the original. Yes there are moments of odd timing between some of the instruments that stand out in this mix but overall it's still a great piece of work and well worth owning.

My only complaint if you can call it that is that once again we have "Extra Bonus-tracks" tagged on the end of the main album. I wish record companies would stop doing this and maybe just put those tracks on a separate CD so that we can hear the main album from start to finish and then listen to the Bonus tracks separately if we feel so inclined. Lets face it half of the time they are only demo versions or rough mixes of tracks already on the main album anyway!

If you were a fan of the original version of this album then the 2010 re-mix may take you a while to get used to but try it anyway you may be as surprised as I was!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, 23 Mar 2014
Mrs. M. Macdonald (Shetland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hergest Ridge (Audio CD)
Had this on tape many moons ago. It was great getting reaquainted. Really is Mike Oldfield as I remember him.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear...., 20 Feb 2013
A. J. Richards (Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor shadow of its former self, 16 Jun 2010
This review is from: Hergest Ridge (Audio CD)
I had waited for this release for a while, my LP (!) is worn out, I missed the originla CD, and wasn't prepared to pay silly money for a "collectable". I have now listened to the "Re-mastered" version several times, and I am seriously disappointed. Overall, it sounds like a re-mix of mostly sub-standard passages from the original sessions, with no cohesive atmosphere - which the original had in bucket-loads. Example: Who let the 7 year-old on the plastic Woolworths guitar in to the moody keyboard pasage 12 minutes into Part 1? And Part 2 has lost a lot of it's edge and become muddled. On the positive side - the sleeve notes are really good. Informative notes, and an interesting looking walk along Hergest Ridge which I will make sure I do one day. I know things move on, and technology now provides far better recording quality than was possible in the 70s, but I'm sorry Mike - can we have the original re-released. Please.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hergest ridge review, 18 Nov 2013
M. B. Hollands (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hergest Ridge (Audio CD)
A long time since I had listened to this and was missing from my collection of records from my formative years. It was well worth buying and is a real pleasure to listen to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still enjoyable, 4 Nov 2013
This review is from: Hergest Ridge (Audio CD)
It's a long time since I last heard this and I was surprised to find that I found it as enjoyable to listen to today as I did years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Irish Wolfhound, 21 Aug 2013
This review is from: Hergest Ridge (Audio CD)
I used to have this on vinyl but I've moved home so many times in the past ten years that it's disappeared, along with various other treasured possessions. Great to be able to listen to it again.
Bit miffed Mike Oldfield didn't remember my birthday this year, though

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and fulfilling, 5 Mar 2012
Clipper 314 (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hergest Ridge (Audio CD)
well...after many years following the production of Tubular Bells I eventually bought it... and subsequently Hergest Ridge. Great follow on album and a delight to listen to, partic if the atmospherics are right... I was driving into a bright orange red sunset with this on the player after a day out hedgelaying and it fitted so well.. magic !

4.0 out of 5 stars a blast from the past, 26 April 2011
This review is from: Hergest Ridge (MP3 Download)
had this on vinyl now in mp3 fans will like it does not lose any thing in mp3 format still good. not a fan then this is worth a try if you just want to chill

Hergest Ridge
Hergest Ridge by Mike Oldfield (Audio CD - 2010)