on 9 May 2012
My Nuvi 660 stopped holding its charge and only worked sporadically when connected to the car charger. Garmin support advised that this model was no longer supported and advised looking for replacement batteries on Amazon. However, before you hit the 'Buy Now' button, have a look at the Youtube video which takes you through fitting the battery, step-by-step. You will also need to purchase a screwdriver set, as the screws are not your normal Philips or cross-head.

The screws are extremely tight and the only warning I would give to the diy person, is to take great care when releasing the spring on the antenna, or as with me, it will jump across the room and you will spend half an hour on your knees looking for it! Otherwise it is straightforward and you will save yourself £100 buying a replacement Garmin.

I have listed below a very helpful Youtube video step-by-step guide and links to the items required (all avaliable from Amazon)

REPLACING THE BATTERY ON GARMIN 660:
Step-by-Step Instructions: [...]
(Take care that the spring doesn't jump out when released).

Items required (Available from Amazon)
Replacement Battery £6.74 [...]

Special screwdriver set : Draper 09550 31 Piece Precision Screwdriver Set £4.16 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0035FO4X6/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details
on 17 December 2012
I always get a suspicious feeling when something looks cheaper than you think it should be. After all 'if it looks to good to be true, it probably is', right? However this battery, at around 20% of the cost of an 'official' Garmin replacement, has proved to be one of the exceptions. This battery has proved a capable replacement.

The only downside for some people will be the daunting task of stripping-down their Nuvi to get the old one out and the new one in. At this point I feel I should say that if you don't have at least a basic understanding of how to disassemble/reassemble small electronic boards and components, then this task might not be for you.

The antenna, board and screen will need to be disconnected internally from the small and fragile ribbon cables, to allow access to the battery. Which in-itself is a simple plug-n-play replacement. Reassembly of the internal connections requires patience and no small amount of dexterity.
Also the tools you need to open the case are 1/ the smallest Torx driver, to remove the screws, and 2/ a broad plastic blade to work around the case to split it open.

Update: Since fitting the battery it's run for over 4-hours and still has 50% charge showing. A1 !!
on 16 May 2012
Was astonished to find this battery at such a reasonable price and hence was a little worried about reliability. Fear not, I've been using it now for about four weeks and it remains fully charged without fail. It is slightly thinner than the original but a slither of packing can sort this. There's no tool to open up the casing of the Nuvi as comes with some replacement batteries but I used a small watchmakers screwdriver with reasonable success.Having watched the You Tube film on how to strip the device apart, I felt fairly confident.Overall, really pleased.
on 15 February 2013
Got this item for my Garmin 660 which is about 5 years old and would not hold its charge anymore and sitched off after about 5mins. Fitted this replacement battery after watching the you tube video, it is not as easy as it seems but it can be done, getting the casing apart is the most difficult part. Also the original battery is stuck in place with double sided sticky tape. Now it all fitted and charged up, tested it and it lasted for 5.5 hours with no directional info being given and about 3.5 when using it enroute with turn by turn info and speed camera and traffic etc.
on 7 March 2012
My old battery lasted about 15 minutes without power which was a problem. You will also need to order a T5 screwdriver as this IS NOT INCLUDED... needs to be a strong T5 as well because the screws are very tight on the garmin. Youtube video helped too!
on 16 September 2014
I saw the video and, liking a bit of 'tinkering' thought I would change my Garmin's battery. I did, but only at the expense of damaging the speaker output jack, so that the on-board speaker no longer works. (See related GPS SaT NaV Tool Kit) review. The 'swap' seemed a lot more fiddly than depicted in the YouTube video I saw that convinced me this was 'doable'. I am left wondering it the video was done by the exact same people I bought either the battery or tool kit from.
on 31 January 2016
Bought as a replacement for the failing battery on the satnav. Installed with the help of a Youtube guide (If you buy one of these, watch the video!) New battery installed in under an hour. Satnav has now run for over four hours on battery with no ill effect.
on 9 August 2013
Great- easy to replace (there is even a video n you tube showing how to replace the battery). Once replaced and charged, my sat nav is going well and getting this battery saved me having to buy a new sat nav.
on 15 August 2012
I used the uTube video [...] to help me replace this battery. It isn't as easy as the video makes out. Firstly you need a very small torx screwdriver to undo the screws - make sure you get the right one!
Next the video isn't very clear about removing the spring - watch the end of the video to see much more clearly how it fits together.
Undoing the casing is a real pain - the tool I used - same as the one in the video - wasn't tough enough - than I found the answer - a guitar plectrum (or pic)!!
Don't be afraid to used a little bit of force on this process - the pic is tough but won't mark your Garmin badly - the two cases overlap by over 1/2 a centimetre.
That said - it's all charged up and ready to go - a cheap way of extending the life of a decent satnav!
on 15 July 2013
Along with the small and cheap toolkit required for its fitting this has given my trusty Garmin a new lease of life. I only gave it four stars because it is still early days and I have no idea of its longevity. Delivery was as quoted and hassle free.