on 5 June 2011
I bought this book because Google's online documentation on app engine is a bit patchy and I haven't found many other good online information sources. For instance, I've had a hard time finding complete explanations of database queries in app engine. Unfortunately the book is equally patchy and seems to contain very little that isn't in the online documentation. It would have been better if it contained a complete, complicated app and showed you step-by-step how it was built. It is neither great as a beginners' tutorial nor as a reference guide.
on 28 April 2011
I am an advanced programmer and have held senior technical positions in a number of big companies around the world. And I will admit I have said to a number of people that computer books are becoming a waste of time because everything is available on the web. You pay $30+ for the book and only a few pages contained anything useful.

However, when it comes to this book, that's not true. This book is exceedingly well structured. I decided to learn Google App Engine and was using the web, but when this book arrived I found myself just reading it from cover to cover and learning the key concepts behind Google App Engine. And of course knowing the key concepts makes it much easier to create well written programs.

If you are thinking about creating a Google App Engine app, then this is the book to get.
on 12 February 2011
For a technical book, the best praise is that it contains information that you can't find on the web - that's true of this book. Very readable too, which is a bonus.