on 5 October 2015
I did a week long research to find the best beginner RC crawler for my 4—year old son’t birthday. I narrowed it down to a couple of options on modelcars in the £80-100 price range.
A friend of mine who is very much into his RC cars (has a £300 unbrushed rc) recommended this as the perfect beginner crawler. I was very sceptical given the low price, but also knew that Maisto is a well respected brand.
The size is perfect for indoor use and the fact it runs on AA batteries means you have a cheap, reliable power source to keep it going for hours (I recommend Eneloop)
I was immediately impressed by it’s ability to conquer obstacles, but it wasn’t until we brought it outside that I was truly blown away. RC cars have certainly come a long way since my childhood!
We took it for a spin in the park recently and my son kept driving it non-stop for 2 hours. And it’s still going strong without a battery change!
It scaled rocks, branches, hills and tall grass without any issues - it kept amazing us both as it was fighting it’s way through the terrain. All other rc cars we had would lose signal at about 5 meters. This still kept going at 30 meters. The rubber tires a very soft and grippy and the body is extremely flexible.
The only slightly negative point – as pointed out by other reviewers – is the large turning circle. This isn’t a big issue once your kid learns how to contra-reverse.
Overall – both dad and son extremely delighted with this purchase. Best starter RC on the market in this price range (or even twice the price). I obviously can’t comment on the built quality as it’s early days, but will update my review in a few months.

EDIT: It's now more than 1 month later and this RC truck has been used/abused almost every weekend. It's been subject to very rough terrain for it's size, sand, water mud and large drops - it's still going as strong as the day we unboxed it and I'm quite frankly in disbelief that it works at all! Please note that it is not advisable to drive it through water, but with a very simple modification (taping vulnerable parts) - at least for us - it is doing absolutely fine! Easiest 5-stars ever I've awarded a product!

EDIT 10.12.15: The RC truck is now dead. But it more than exceeded expectations as it has been completely submerged in water, dropped from heights which should have immediately broken bits and generally suffered excessive abuse (for £20 I just let him have fun with it).
As I opened it up to identify the problem, water came out from the rear motor and it was full of sand. So just to emphasize - don't expect it to survive crawling through big puddles for long. Fair enough it gave up!

I have now received the larger "extreme" version (XXL) for my son's Xmas birthday. It's a little step closer to the higher end RC trucks and should satisfy his need for better rock-crawling capabilities.
I am aware that like the Jr version it also isn't waterproof, so I am insulating it with liquid plastic in advance
review image review image review image
55 comments|32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I've bought this as a Christmas (yep its that time folks!) present for my 4 year old nephew.

We've had a few remote control cars in our house over the years so I know a half decent one when I have a go of it.

In the box you will find -

- The RC car fully assembled
- Remote control unit
- Instructions

There are 'no' batteries with this toy!

You will need to buy 4 x AA for the car and 1 x 9volt for the remote control.

Maisto are a well established brand in RC toys and thats why I went for this one. They do a larger car and brought this one out for younger children. It's aimed at the 4-7 year old range.

The remote - takes one 9v battery. It's a basic remote for younger kids and operates the car forward, backwards, left and right. It is definitely smaller than usual and made for smaller/kids hands! It works at 27 mhz.

The car - Measures around 8 inches long and the body is sat high in the air, this car is all wheels as it is a 'rock crawler'. It is a 4wd and has two motors set at a low drive speed. This gives it more torque which means less speed but good rocks, bumps and lumps climbing ability! It tries to drag itself over anything given its size.The wheels have fully articulated suspension so move and bend every which way in order to get over rougher terrain. The tyres are rubber and oversized which makes this a great climbing machine.

This car will not whizz around like lightening. It's built to clamber slowly but well. It's only made for younger children remember if purchasing this.

In use it's a cracking little RC car for the price in my opinion. It's build quality is good and it drives well. It's fully functional with great suspension and easy to learn with a basic remote for smaller hands. This is perfect for use in the garden as you can set a little course up for it and let your child play safe.

Recommended.
on 22 March 2011
I was very pleased with the fast delivery and it was well packed.. I got the rock crawler for my five year old son and he loves it, it's very solid
and its great that the rock crawler comes with it's own rechargeable batteries and charger!! Very pleased with it overall. Thanks
on 15 August 2013
We were after a more grown up remote control car for our 5yr old son. After reading the reviews, and watching a few videos of this model on YouTube, that helped confirm it was going to fit the bill. It's not too large, not too small. Not slow, but not too fast.. making it easy for a 5yr old to control. With it having 4 wheel drive, it's great for clambering over rocks in the rockery, or piled up cushions, etc.

It does *not* come with re-chargeable batteries like other reviews (from 2011) state. No batteries are included at all. When you do stick some of your own in, they'll last quite a while.. when they're running down, the first thing to go is the steering.

It's been durable so far. I like the fact that the remote control unit has a flexible antenna.. so it can't be snapped off like with other r/c cars I've read about. The aerial on the car itself is a wire where you slip on a narrow plastic straw/tube.. that's the only thing that's a bit rubbish.. the tube has snapped a few times.. making it slightly shorter each time. Not a deal-breaker, but a slight annoyance.

All-in-all, I'd very much recommend this r/c car.. I've enjoyed it as my as my son & for the price (£22) you can't go far wrong :)
on 6 March 2011
Bought this car for one of my twin grandsons. He says its great, does everything he wants it to do. It climbs over stones, humps etc. it has good suspension. Money well spent. Also has the re-chargeable battery, great advantage.
on 16 May 2016
Great little car, can drive over all sorts of obstacles. The only drawbacks are a large turning circle (still it could get the little ones used to the principles of the three point turn) and a fairly short radio link range - you have to follow the car. It is perhaps a little too difficult to accurately control for my just turned three year old, but he still enjoys driving it back and forward.
on 29 December 2015
Always unsure about stuff like this, but the Rock Crawler Jr. is really outstanding!

We've tested this on very rough, former mine workings in cold weather, steep slopes, and even in reasonably deep water. Works its way through them all!

Battery life is much better than expected, given the terrain this unit's been tested on. A new set gives roughly an hour of hard off-roading from this unit, helped by being a very lightweight construction. Takes rough and tumble from height easily.

Probably the best value for money R/C unit you can get!
on 4 January 2014
Really pleased with this ! We purchased this for our five year old son who absolutely loves it. As some reviewers say it is rather slow but that is no bad thing for a little one getting to grips with steering and where space may be limited. We have bought a number of radio controlled cars over the past 18 months and all have been bad buys - not this one ! It really does climb over most obstacles. We have driven it through flower beds, over grass and gravel and over small rocks. The range is great and it is very responsive and easy to use. It is small (21cm long x 13 cm tall) and light but for the price I paid I was astonished at how good it is. It has endured a number of knocks from bad driving and some crazy stunts but it has survived everything so far. An amazingly robust vehicle. If only we had found this last year !
on 29 March 2016
The truck is quite well made and it tackles very rough terrain. However I bought a second one as replacement for the first one as a wheel broke off while a friend played with it. I had not seen it, so I was not sure about how much force had been used. But on the day that I received the second one, the same thing happened. My son trew it into the floor from about 3ft and one of the front wheels snapped off. So it is not a very sturdy car and I would not recommend it for heavy handed 6 year olds.
review image
on 7 December 2015
Got it, drove it, set up a little track in my garden, very good for the price you pay, have gone on to but better RC cars but this is still a cool little car that I will pass on to my kids when they are old enough, my boy (2) does quite get the idea that pressing up on the lever makes the car go forward, keeps putting the controls down and proceeds to just push the car around.