5.0 out of 5 stars Epic in every sense of the word

Published 6 months ago by Oly

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic in every sense of the word, 7 Jun. 2010
Ian Tandy - See all my reviews
This review is from: Micah P. Hinson And The Pioneer Saboteurs (Audio CD)
Well how can I categorise this album? Well its certainly not Country! Imagine a voice somewhere between Bill Callaghan and Johnny Cash and mix in strings and massive cinematic instrumental passages. Yes this album is part that. Then there are the dark subversive and cynical lyrics, the great melodies, and you are starting to understand the sheer quality of this most surprising offering. Even the CD sleeve is lovingly put together to simulate an old vinyl cover complete with stains, creases and worn edges. The music on this cd is however anything but old. Its as experimental in its own way as Pink Floyd's Piper At The Gates Of Dawn and that is a compliment I rarely give. The final track "The Returning" is a case in point. It is a caldron of feedback and fuzz before returning to acoustic loveliness. Certainly a difficult album to review because it is so different yet utterly brilliant. No music lover should miss out on this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Micah P. Hinson, 18 Nov. 2013
Mr "2 Hammers" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Micah P. Hinson And The Pioneer Saboteurs (Audio CD)
Not my favourite Hinson album but still great. It has a sound which is like JJ Cale meets Olivia Tremor Control. It gets a little too emotional.

Equally great to listen in the evenings with a glass of whiskey whilst rocking the baby to sleep or whacking people on Call of Duty.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 31 Jan. 2011
Paul (Vale, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Micah P. Hinson And The Pioneer Saboteurs (Audio CD)
Heard about Micah in reviews from time to time, decided to add this albumn to a Spotify playlist whilst I played Fallout: New-Vegas. Absolutely gorgeous. Beautiful, painful, soothing. Might be a 5 star after I get to know it fully.

5.0 out of 5 stars A STATELY FUSION, 10 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Micah P. Hinson And The Pioneer Saboteurs (Audio CD)
Micah P Hinson's first album includes a superb track called 'Patience' and I was so impressed with the whole lp that I texted my sister and suggested that if you only buy one album before you die, this was it. Yep, it's that good. And this offering - and I reckon it's his 4th (that's all the ones I've got at any rate) is almost up there with the first. Other reviewers allude to Cash and Hawley, and rightly so, while to these ears there's a hint of modern-day Lee Hazelwood or Mickey Newbury...maybe John Stewart. Anyway, these songs are largely very good, and in the case of the final two tracks, 'She building up castles in her heart' and 'The returning', quite outstanding. It's different but well worth the effort.

4.0 out of 5 stars Epic Cowboy Ballads, 27 May 2010
Snaggletooth (Belfast, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Micah P. Hinson And The Pioneer Saboteurs (Audio CD)
Shamed as I am to say it, (and even though I consider myself a bit of a muso), Id never taken the time to listen to Micah P. Hinson. Yes, I know, I know, I can hear you long term fans sneering, but this album is all new stuff to me and its just hitting the spot right now as I write my review. For those like me who havent heard (of) this guy, how shall I explain his music? Hmm, a tiny bit of Richard Hawley, a big bit of Johnny Cash, a possible hint of Ian McCulloch? (sorry maybe thats just me), and while it has a country feel to it, can I just say I cant stand country music. Maybe its like downbeat country? But a country style thats more like youd expect cowboys to sing around a campfire at night over a lost lover - not that thumbs in the belt, checked shirt drivel you might think of when hearing those two awful words "country music". This is not an upbeat album though, not by a long chalk. In fact, its a little bit depressing, but today i like it. So if you maybe fancy a break from the usual boring indie jangle, or two a penny electro-pop, maybe you could check this out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Micah P Hinson & The Pioneer Saboteurs, 10 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Micah P. Hinson And The Pioneer Saboteurs (Audio CD)
This is probably the favourite record I have bought this year.

Really well produced and some very strong songs. 2s & 3s is my personal favourite. Amazing.

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 5 Sept. 2014
Good grief what happened to Mr Hinson's beautiful music - dreadful

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 31 Oct. 2014
Great CD

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 16 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Micah P. Hinson And The Pioneer Saboteurs (Audio CD)
After listening the pearl of Micah P. Hinson (...and the red empire orchestra - 2008), I have decided to buy this one even without listening a single song. I have enough age to not commit these mistakes... but I did. And I regret - this is a not inspired album. It seems that was produced just because "we have to sell some CDs more". It's a shame but I have wait for a new good album from Micah.
Next time I'll listen it before, I promise myself, but I believe another pearl will come one of these days.

Micah P. Hinson And The Pioneer Saboteurs
Micah P. Hinson And The Pioneer Saboteurs by Micah P. Hinson (Audio CD - 2010)