on 9 June 2013
I purchased one of these to connect my Sky HD box, Apple TV, blu ray player and Popcorn Hour to my TV via HDMI, and to my Sonos Playbar via the optical. I can confirm that this works really well with no loss in picture or audio quality.

Why only 4 stars? This is a premium price product. I purchased when it was showing 50% off and it still cost a lot of money. For that price I consider the casing to be a little sub standard. It is easy to bend and the product feels a little cheap. The important parts at the back seem good though. The optical and HDMI leads lock in securely and do not move.

It is also a good that you can turn the front input selection lights off as they are bright enough to illuminate my whole living room.

Overall, very functional and works well but I would have liked a better outer case.
99 comments|12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 December 2012
on 30 May 2011
I had an hdmi cable going into my bedroom, where I had a projector, which didn't have speakers. So I had to split the hdmi output into hdmi picture (for my projector) and 5.1 surround sound (for my amp). This little baby does this with style....well worth buying.
on 2 January 2014
A Small, neat 3 way HDMI switch that does exactly what it says on the Box. Works perfectly on auto between 2 of my bits of kit but my BT Vision Box does not completely power down and as a result it hogs the switch so I have to use the remote which is a great feature when you have this situation. When I need to switch a quick click and job down. Picture quality top notch with no visible difference between picture quality going via the switch when compared to a direct HDMI connection. This is a really good value well built high quality switch. Very Happy with everything. The other upside is that there was no need for a power source but if all you units switch off completely you may possibly find you will need one. This is an extra so before you buy check or take advice as it will have to ordered separately. Delivered quickly and well packaged would use HD Central again.
on 17 May 2011
I had bought another hdmi splitter 1x2 that refused to work with the Virgin TiVO box.

The Octava has EDID settings that allowed my setup to work.
on 10 July 2012
Needed the product to connect my new blu ray to Panasonic TV. Already had Sky+ and Home theatre. Initially slight problem when blu ray switched itself off, loss of sound through switch, popping etc. But once Sky+ software was updated problem gone.

People at HD were very quick to support me when I reported the problem and were happy to test and replace the product if it was a faulty switch. Luckily Sky was the problem and the update fixed eveything. Great product, good sellers.
on 3 August 2012
This is my 2nd Octava Switch (the previous one a standard 5 X 1 and is 3 years old and still works well).
The reason for this purchase is the 3D support, it's been in use for 4 months.

Currently running Samsung 3D Blu-Ray, Pioneer Blu-Ray, Toshiba HD and a HCMP compliant PC.
Connected to - TV (UE55D7000) and a Pioneer Amp.
All HDMI cables are Duronic.

Connect them up (HDMI and Optical) and all work without issue.
Up and running in 5 minutes.

No degradation in picture, well none I can see, or sound.
All disc features work fine.

Expensive - maybe, but this delivers everything without issue.
on 3 January 2014
Brilliant piece of kit. Does exactly what it was intended to do. Auto audio and vision channel changes as soon as it senses another bit of kit being switched on. Currently running XBMC PC (Intel NUC), Apple TV, PS3 & PS4 connected to old Sony TV & Amplifier with limited connections - works perfectly :)
on 24 December 2010
This product is not working,keeps cutting out so sending it back for a full refund.Contacted seller who was very helpful and said I would get a full refund,will update later with final result.
This is my final report.I am down rating this company to 2 star,that is only because the delivery was good.I will never use them again.It took 2 phone calls,3 e-mails (never answered)and a threat to report them to Amazon before I got a refund (hopefully within 10days).
I shall use Neet in future,excellent service and any refunds paid by return upon receipt of goods.
Malcolm Bennington. Newhaven
on 5 October 2011
Working in the IT industry I am constantly wary of ever saying the words "Don't worry, it just works..." as it inevitably doesn't when it comes right down to it. This for me is my exception that proves the rule. I purchased a different HDMI and TOSLINK switch prior to this and while it was a third of the price I invariably got what I paid for first time around.

The Snakebyte HDMI switch also sold here on Amazon was my first purchase and it was just terrible. It could not support more than one input being powered on at the time. If you were using something on the first input, activated the second, and switched to it you would get no signal. Moreover, when you went back to your original input you also had no signal until you power-cycled the switch. Just terrible!

This one... Well, it just works. Perfectly. Every time. It supports every input I've thrown at it, multiple consoles, my Sky+HD box, my HD media streamer for the home network, everything. Moreover it supports them all at the same time and will allow me to switch between them without ever losing anything. No longer do I have to turn off my Xbox game to pop over to the Sky+ box to set something to record, just fabulous. Moreover again, the auto switching function gets the correct device at least 95% of the time and the whole experience is highly intuitive.

It may not be the cheapest option, but if you want to go with the option that I'm confident you won't regret, the one that will definitely do everything you want it to do without a moment's frustration; do yourself a favour and click add to basket on this bad boy. Best of luck!