5.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba SD3010 Upscaling DVD Player
Published on 19 Aug 2010 by Ms. E. Price

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks good value but prone to faults
We bought one of these in April 2011. It came up with a message saying "Bad Disc" and refused to do anything else. Sent it back to Amazon who sent a replacement unit. Loved it - excellent picture quality - who cares about the naff remote... But three months later the replacement packed up - just displays "Bad Disc" again. Amazon very good about it and are refunding the...
Published on 26 Aug 2011 by C. De Courcy-bower

5.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba SD3010 Upscaling DVD Player, 19 Aug 2010
This review is from: Toshiba SD3005/3010 Upscaling DVD Player (Electronics)
The first thing I thought when I received the player was how light and small the player was. Its cool how this player is half the depth of my previous DVD player and 20 cheaper. It is of a good build quality, it doesn't lack in solidity like some of the other players I've seen. It is also very quiet, it does make a noise when loading a DVD or when you are navigating through a menu but this is to be expected. And it upscales! this doesnt apply to every DVD; it appears that DVD's after 2000 are more likely to upscale. I found it very simple to set up and it has a very reasonable price tag. The only downside is that the remote control is too small - Toshiba you should have made it bigger! Overall I would recommend buyers to seriously consider purchasing this player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Near bluray quality, 14 Oct 2010
This review is from: Toshiba SD3005/3010 Upscaling DVD Player (Electronics)
I bought this DVD player as a cheap replacement for the one in the family room.
I have to say despite the small size and the small remote (a mentioned by many people before me) this really is a quality piece if kit. The difference between this one and my old one is remarkable. Im glad I invested in the HDMI cable because the quality is fantastic!

I have watched a few Blurays and I would say the quality is matched by the upscalled DVD.

The packing/delivery was a different matter but this is not the place to go into details.

A very good/unexpensive DVD player, well worth the money

4.0 out of 5 stars mutli region, 18 Jan 2011
This review is from: Toshiba SD3005/3010 Upscaling DVD Player (Electronics)
brought this dvd player for multi region playback,put in hackcode and works a treat.

turn on,
open tray,
press 98790 ok on the remote,
tray closes,
now plays region 1 discs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy shopper, 8 Jan 2011
This review is from: Toshiba SD3005/3010 Upscaling DVD Player (Electronics)
Absolute bargain, Amazon sold at old price of [...]. Replaced a Pioneer model that had lost its multiregion capability costing more than double and I prefer both picture and sound on this.
Multi region for this is--Tray open 9879 0 it will confirm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super!, 12 Mar 2011
This review is from: Toshiba SD3005/3010 Upscaling DVD Player (Electronics)
Bought one of these at Christmas to replace a standard DVD Player in the living room and its so good we've now upgraded the other players with one of these. Its terrific value for money, picture quality output is top drawer which is really all i was looking for. It may not have the features of the higher end players. Such as it doesnt remember where you stopped the DVD after turning off, and doesnt have USB etc but if all you want is an attractive, small, sleek DVD player which gives a good picture then this fits the bill. The remote isn't the best, its well laid out enough but is cheaply made and you need to really push the buttons hard but apart from that i cant find fault with it.

5 out of 5!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding value, 21 Sep 2010
This review is from: Toshiba SD3005/3010 Upscaling DVD Player (Electronics)
I can't fault this player. Build quality is high, performance is excellent. It's neat, compact, light, quiet and, on all my four TVs -- from 6-years old to latest HD -- it was pretty much just plug and play; I use a SCART lead and there were no set-up issues or delays at all. Other reviewers have complained about the remote. I think they are just being picky. It IS small but, as far as I'm concerned, the button push is positive and it works fine for me. I'd say buy it -- especially if you want a player that is unobtrusive -- or that you can move about (I sometimes have to show training DVDs in places where they have a TV but no DVD player, and the quality of this is miles better than with a PC and projector).

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic player in every way....but why the poor remote??, 28 July 2010
This review is from: Toshiba SD3005/3010 Upscaling DVD Player (Electronics)
I spent a long time trying to decide which Toshiba player to get. I always used my PS3 to play DVD's but it wouldnt upscale nor would it play region 1 DVD's. After a long time researching, it came down to this model (SD3010) or the SD390. The impressive reviews tempted me to buy the 3010.

Upon purchase, I was relieved to discover that it was only 33cm wide, and fitted beautifully in my desk compartment.

The first thing I thought when I received the player, was how light and small the player was. Its pretty amazing how this player is half the depth of my previous DVD player and 40 cheaper. The quality is pretty good but the remote is poorly designed. The buttons are very hard, therefore they are unresponsive at times. The other downside is that the player is not multiregion ready, although it can be hacked (like mine was) to enable it to play all region DVD's.

Pros:

> Small, lightweight design, that is very attractive.

> Very quiet - it does make a noise when loading or when you are navigating through menu's but this is to be expected.

> It upscales - this doesnt apply to every DVD though.

> Good build quality - doesnt seem flimsy like most players on the market

> Multiregion compatibility - just use the hack for the SD 390 model, as I think it applies to every Toshiba SD model player.

> Very simple to set up - no need to mess about with all usual rubbish.

> Cheap and cheerful - very reasonable price tag

Cons:

> Terrible remote control - unfortunatly this player has to have the worst remote control Ive ever seen. The buttons are very hard, so they dont always respond first time. They also could have been A LOT bigger! Simple design flaw. The remote does the job though but I hate using it.

> You cant see how many minutes/hours are left on a DVD whilst its playing. Its a strange feature not to display for such a modern DVD player. Other reviewers for the SD 390 model, have also mentioned that the display takes up half the screen when it is shown. This is exaggerated slightly and it does not cause any problems.

> Not multiregional until a hack is used - this was one of the main reasons I bought this player! However it is now.

Overall this player is certainly worth considering. In my opinion it is far superior to any of the other players Ive seen, such as the Samsung H1080, especially as its at such a bargain price.

UPDATE 27/3/13

Having only had this player for just over 2 years now, it is showing signs of giving up, which is quite surprising. It sometimes freezes when you pause, which is to be expected, but then it doesnt play! However I have since found that stop the DVD and restarting it solves this problem, but it is a problem that shouldn't be there and disrupts your viewing. My hope is that it last a few more years but it looks like the build quality is not as high as I anticipated!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing picture quality, 5 Jun 2011
This review is from: Toshiba SD3005/3010 Upscaling DVD Player (Electronics)
I purchased this player after my similarly cheap Philips stopped working after a couple of year's hard service. I was looking for a cheap replacement which would play Region 2 discs on a normal TV - a no-fills model at a reasonable price was all I wanted.

Having read reviews on many players in the 30 bracket, I settled on the Toshiba because a) the majority of reviews were favorable and b) its upscaling capabilities via HDMI were welcome, should I ever upgrade my aging widescreen TV.

Out of the box, the player is very light, but solid, and has a nice shiny finish to it. It is also slim enough to fit on my shelf with a digi box on top.

Compared to some players I've had, the noise during playback is very quiet indeed - a gentle purr is all you hear when loading or accessing sections via the menu. The remote is, despite what some reviewers have said, of normal proportions, and is more than suitable to my large-ish sized hands.

But the most pleasing thing about this player is the picture quality. Although I'm only running it via the SCART lead (not supplied) the quality of the DVDs is far superior to any other player I've used to date. If it's this good via the SCART, I am very tempted to upgrade my TV now, just so I can experience it via the HDMI.

If you're looking for a cheap player to give you almost HD quality playback, then do not hesitate in purchasing this. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 Dec 2010
A. Berry (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba SD3005/3010 Upscaling DVD Player (Electronics)
I am very pleased with this DVD player. We have it connected to a 1080p HD TV and the picture quality is superb. Even just with upscaling, you still see every detail crystal clear. I'd agree with the comment about DVD's after 2000 being upscaled, anything before this and you won't notice any difference in picture quality. The player was really easy to set up, just basically plug and play. You can either connect using a standard scart lead or HDMI lead. If using an HD TV, you can set the definition you wish to use (refer to your TV manual to see what it supports) and then away you go. The unit is extremely small (which is great for small spaces) compared to earlier models and well built, it has all the standard features we've all come to expect. It does make a bit of noise when loading a DVD but after that you can't hear a thing. Yes the remote is small but not so small as to cause any problems - just watch the kids don't get hold of it! Overall this is a great little upscaling DVD player from Toshiba.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Exceptional D.V.D Player., 2 Oct 2010
This review is from: Toshiba SD3005/3010 Upscaling DVD Player (Electronics)
I purchased this dvd player recently and can't praise it enough. Just check out it's specifications first, then remember how low this item is actually selling for.
Put these two facts together and that adds up to an exceptional, very good value for money d.v.d player indeed.
The hand set is a bit small, as is the size of the print in the intruction manual.
The player itself is also small but that's a good point: yes?
But hey, the handset is quite functional and worked okay for me and I've a magnifying glass to read the manual, if needs be...lol.....
...and so I'm not going to be, as I feel some other reviewers are: picky, not at this low price anyway.
If all the above were not enough then add too this a really great bonus:
Useing only the handset to achieve this I can confirm the player can be made multi-region/'0' region and this can be done and dusted in less than one minute!
Simply search the internet to find out how.
Incidentally, I'm so pleased with this player I'm about to make a second purchase.

Toshiba SD3005/3010 Upscaling DVD Player