5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously funny
Published on 19 Feb 2010 by Lawrence Sutcliffe

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a fun thing for sceptics
This is an amusing quick read, with plenty of wry chuckles to be had. It isn't going to form the basis of a new ideology but I do think one or two of the ideas could and should be implemented!
Published 8 months ago by Mel Powell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously funny, 19 Feb 2010
Lawrence Sutcliffe (Inverness, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I bought this book on a whim (not from Amazon I should confess) as I very much enjoyed the Radio 4 comedy show that inspired it. I expected it to be funny (which it is, very!) but it is also an important call for us, the electorate to get off our backsides and start taking an interest in what our elected officials are doing. We elected them, they work of us! It's is a mandate from us to improve the lot of all the people in this country and not an opportunity for MPs (and others) to feather their own nests or climb in bed with big business. Hopefully this little book will make people think a bit more about how we use our votes come the next election but if not it will certainly make you laugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for the people, by the people (and Mark Thomas)., 1 May 2010
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Mark Thomas is one of the UK's most intelligent and vitriolic left wing comedians, his comedy not only makes you laugh but it strikes a chord and makes you think. Despite all of this he tends to slip under the radar of the general public and is relatively unknown, but he's held in high regard by those familiar with his work.

The People's Manifesto is the product of a live tour which gathered ideas from the audience, the public proposals have been analysed and a sampled in this book. There's a mixture of both daft and serious policies, but whether you're reading a ridiculous proposal about what to do with dog poo or a quite serious item about holding referenda before going to war, the book tackles it intelligently.

It's a genuinely funny book but it's not scared to deal with the real issues beneath the initial statement. For example, the proposal to have all models selected at random from the electoral roll is one of the most amusing parts of the book, and it also recognises a valid social problem when it is presented as a solution to seeing unrealistic idealised images of the body. It explores the morality behind what it proposes, it isn't just a collection of comedic ideas - it's a dissection of modern culture and a lot if it actually seems sensible!

The satirical pages may well educate you too and bolster your political arsenal of facts and figures ready for arguments in the office/pub/living room - did you know for instance that in 2009 benefit cheats may well have cost the country around £900 million whereas rich tax loop-hole abusers lost the UK around £18.5 *billion*!

In a nutshell: At the time of writing this we are in the final week building up to the 2010 general election and Mark Thomas' book is a fantastic way of enjoying politics when the 24-hour news media have peddled the same minor story for days on end until it's been milked so dry that the teat is starting to bleed. Not only is it incredibly amusing, but it does actually have a lot to say and after reading it you may find yourself not necessarily agreeing with everything - but you'll consider the points made to be valid and find them cropping up in conversation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mark Thomas Legend, 12 Nov 2013
Every right minded human being should own & adhere to this great Manifesto on how to live a decent & just life..............Mark Thomas is the Peoples Champion..long live the revolution

4.0 out of 5 stars A great quick read, let down by formatting, 31 May 2011
This review is from: Mark Thomas Presents the People's Manifesto (Kindle Edition)
This is for the Kindle edition of the Mark Thomas book, content wise this is a great read if a little short ( I read it in just over an hour). Funny and thought provoking, the peoples manifesto is a combination of funny little quips and great ideas.

The fact this is a short book makes the formatting of the kindle edition so annoying. The first letter of every chapter is on its own line and the formating of title pages should have been looked at so they don't spread over two pages. Lazy work from the publisher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired policy making by the people for the people, 21 Feb 2010
As usual Mark Thomas manages to blend humour with a serious political point, this time pointing out that use ordinary folk are effectively excluded from the political process.

All of the manifesto policies were both thought of and voted for by the public. As such, some are well know political "wants" ignored by politicians (e.g. introducing the Tobin Tax), some of them absolutely inspired (e.g. any private health care companies using NHS-trained staff should pay the NHS a levy to reimburse it for the training costs) and some are just darn right funny (e.g. goats should be released into Parliament. MPs will be banned from referring to them!).

It's just a shame that because these policies were created by the people, for the people, they won't be used by the political parties because the general public's views just aren't important enough to matter. Instead of doing what they people want, they'll just carry on bailing out the banks etc. Never mind - the people have spoken and we have our own manifesto now!

5.0 out of 5 stars If politicians listened to the people we'd have much better manifestos, 22 Feb 2010
E. Lewis - See all my reviews
This is pure Mark Thomas - political, funny, and mischievous. I was at one of the shows and I read the book from cover to cover in about two hours; I laughed all the way through.

It also makes you think - if politicians listened to the people we'd have a more sensible set of manifestos, which would be legally binding (kerching! according to the lawyers) with a good dose of British character thrown in; along with the very practical and desireable manifesto items suggested and voted for in Mark's live shows, there are also items which would cheer us all up and give us something to talk about in the pub.

Mark Thomas for Prime Minister!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, short and punchy, 1 April 2014
This book is an ideal way to spend a couple of hours chuckling away to yourself imagining some of the suggestions within being put into practice

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but fun, 21 Feb 2014
D. Scott (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a small book but if you like Mark Thomas and his humour then you will enjoy this, ha!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 14 Feb 2014
The People's Manifesto was always my favourite of the Radio 4 comedy shows and this book reminds me why.

It's not a long book, I read it in one sitting, but very funny - with a lot of hilarious and insightful commentary from Mark.

Highly recommend - whether you've heard the show or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, 30 Jan 2014
A book that was created from Mark Thomas's touring show: The audience members were asked, before the show, to write down what policy they would like to see introduced by the government.

Mark Thomas would then select the BEST AUDIENCE SUGGESTIONS and read them out and discuss them. Some policy suggestions were funny ("Shut down tax havens, bomb Switzerland'), some serious. Highly readable, great fun!

BBC Radio 4 also transmitted 'The People's Manifesto'

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›