5.0 out of 5 stars Two great albums and one more to add, makes three, 9 July 2010
Mr. Adrian R. May "Ray May" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ADVERSE CAMBER (Audio CD)
The Reasoning creep up on you and then leave a haunting and indelible impression. Superb music and musicianship; rich, harmonious and multi layered. If you like Wishbone Ash, Genesis, prog rock, folk type metal etc. you can't go wrong with this. Except it is for our age. Unlike the harsher yet brilliant sounds that I like from Amberian Dawn, NW, WT, Stream of Passion, etc. this Welsh group bring a beautiful homely warmth that I haven't really heard for a long time. The excellent guitar playing provides a constant tapestry backdrop for the superb vocals. 13th floor and 14 stand out for me, but overall a fully rewarding experience all the same. RM, London

4.0 out of 5 stars Good album overall, but has weaker moments, 5 Jun 2010
This review is from: ADVERSE CAMBER (Audio CD)
Faced with the potentially debilitating departure of founder-member, vocalist and keyboardist Gareth Jones after their previous album, "Dark Angel", The Reasoning have responded in the best fashion possible - by following up that fine second album with a relatively short, but enjoyable one. Some people might baulk at buying an album that comes in at 40 minutes or so but, for me, that's a more palatable duration for an album than around 70 minutes; I'd prefer to have something of this duration yearly than wait two or more years for a marathon-CD. Perhaps I'm just being old fashioned!

More importantly, what of the quality? It's not as varied as "Dark Angel", sounding to me nearer the steady rock of their first album, "Awakening". In that respect it falls short because it doesn't have a track of the impact of "Awakening" itself, but then perhaps that is the band's best track to date. The second album also started strongly with its own title track but "Diamonds and Leather", whereas it's not poor, lacks the strong impact of those, so the album feels a little flat to start.

"The Nobody Effect" is also workmanlike and it's not until "The Thirteenth Hour" that "Adverse Camber" really picks up, virtue of its catchy rhythm in the refrain. Fortunately for the album, once this improvement has kicked in, it does not subside, so that overall one is left with a good impression as fine track follows on from fine track. "Through the Now" is slower but crucially brings in the band's signature dual-vocalist feature for the first time on the album, and it works a treat. The offsetting of Dylan Thompson's vocals with Rachel Cohen's is one of the attractions of the band's music but Rachel had been shouldering the burden on her own during the beginning of the album.

The final two tracks sustain this musical imagination to leave the listener with a good impression.

Overall, "Adverse Camber" is good enough to please the fans and keep them holding on for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, but the lesser of three so far, 15 Aug 2010
Big Red - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: ADVERSE CAMBER (Audio CD)
This was a much slower burner for me than the first two Reasoning CDs; it lacks the energy and vocal interplay of Awakening and Dark Angel. But the music is just as good if not better and really rewards repeated listens. There is enough prog about it to keep me interested which is the most important thing for me.

I think they will miss the vocals of Gareth Jones though, as he fitted in well with Rachel and Dylan, and there isn't enough of Dylan here. Rachel is a great and lovely vocalist but having her dominate an album in this way is like having three courses of dessert.

The only thing I really don't like about Adverse Camber is the brief backing vocals of Maria Owen - she doesn't compliment Rachel in my opinion. And the new drumming style is a bit weedy in comparison to Vinden, but fits the style of the album.

Overall, a great album but in the longer term I don't think it will hold my interest like the first two. Still, thanks to The Reasoning for being a great band!

4.0 out of 5 stars My little intro to prog, 1 Aug 2010
This review is from: Adverse Camber (MP3 Download)
I decided to buy this album as I have been hearing things about a resurgence in prog rock and wanted to see what all the fuss is about.

I normally prefer heavy rock/heavy metal but also love all the old Genesis albums (up to about "And Then There Were Three").

On the first listen I thought it was ok, a superior type of background music, proggy with occasional heavy moments, but I have to say that with another couple of listens it's really starting to grow on me.

Rachel Cohen has a great voice and the musicianship from the whole band is superb.

"Diamonds And Leather", "Script Switch Trigger" and "14" are all really good tracks that have stuck in my head.

I'll definitely be buying their other two albums at some point and hope to see them live when they come near to where I live.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not adverse to this, 2 May 2010
Colin Hill "Bing Hopkins" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ADVERSE CAMBER (Audio CD)
The Reasoning's third album, following the excellent 'Awakening' and 'Dark Angel' is a further progression in the life of this band. Only six tracks long, but each song is long enough for each memeber of the band to shine, moving from all out rock, to a more gentler, fluid style, while the vocals hold it all together. It feels a little more contemprorary than their previous two albums, but that's no bad thing, as this is a band in evoloution. I got a copy of this album at one of their live gigs, and they really are a live band worth catching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album if a little on the short side., 3 Aug 2011
Tony Corner "Tony" (Portsmouth, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ADVERSE CAMBER (Audio CD)
I've followed Karnataka and all it's members since day one and have kept a close eye on all their separate careers. I fell in love with Rachel's unique vocal style many years ago and pre-ordered The Awakening by this band as soon as I found out about Rachel joining. Have been a big fan of The Reasoning since. The Awakening is a brilliant debut album, in fact the title track Awakening is still in my top 100 all time favourite songs!

The band are always fantastic live and I bought this cd on the opening night of their tour, it meant I used all my cash up and had to go without a drink all evening. Once I'd got home and listened to the album I didn't mind that. My only criticism is that the album feels short, having said that it did come out fairly quickly so that can't be bad. Most of the albums I listen to are 75 mins+ or doubles. I get round this more often than not by playing the album through twice back to back, once isn't enough!

As to Adverse Camber, I was already aware of some of the songs from the live show, it's a cracking little gem of an album. I love all the melodies the band interleave through the music. Its the multiple layers that fascinate me, I love to listen to music that you can hear something different each time you listen to it. Quite often I will pick an instrument out and follow it through the track. The playing from all the band members is fantastic, everything fits where it should, there are some lovely intricate melodies, pace changes, expressive guitars and keyboards and underpinning that is Matt and Jake's rhythm section.

The band always sound a bit lighter on record but see them live and they certainly rock then! Having said that if you crank the volume up.....!

I can't pick out any single track as my favourite, they're all good and have their moments. It's a great album to put on when you want to chill. I come back to this album regularly and it has stayed on my mp3 player since I got it, a good sign. Really looking forward to the new album, which I hear may be a bit more on the heavier side. As well as the other bands mentioned in other reviews I'd also say if you like Pendragon, Panic Room, IQ, then this is well worth a listen.

4.0 out of 5 stars saved the best til last..., 2 Sep 2010
This review is from: ADVERSE CAMBER (Audio CD)
Having felt that Karnataka were poised to achieve world domination until their unfortunate split, I have followed the ensuing careers of the members of the classic line up with interest. While there are strong elements of "prog" on this record, "prog-lite" is probably a more apt description of the genre; this is a good melodic rock record with strong vocal harmonies and it's good to hear Rachel taking a bigger share of the vocals. The production and recording quality is first class but the songs are not as well crafted as I would like - a bit of a case of "could do better...!" I give it four stars however because the final track is an absolute belter and justifies purchasing the CD on its own.

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't be let down., 10 May 2010
S. Jackson "Jak" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ADVERSE CAMBER (Audio CD)
It's a grower. It's The Reasoning. It's brilliant.

I haven't stopped playing this cd since it fell through my letter-box. Admittedly, its brilliance didn't strike me initially in the same way Awakening and Dark Angel did, but once you've listened a few times, you're hooked! Great rock guitar riffs then harmony, pounding then melodic bass, crashing then sublime drumming, and there's nothing left to be said about Rachel's stunning vocals and voice. If you've got both of their previous offerings then this is a must. If this is your first Reasoning venture, you'll love it and you're sure to purchase the previous two. And a quite brilliant live act too!

ADVERSE CAMBER
ADVERSE CAMBER by The Reasoning (Audio CD - 2010)