5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant
bought this DVD after hearing such good reviews and having loved the original cartoons as a kid. Will quite easily say that the animation is stunning - as good as is possible I would hazard a guess. Great story too with loads of tip top action. One of the best films I've seen in years. You don't have to have kids to enjoy this I promise you !
Published 16 months ago by Mr. D. Chisholm

3.0 out of 5 stars More Spielberg Than Hergé
I'm afraid I'm going to have to dare the ire of the fans. Because I was, it seems, less impressed by this film than most.

But first, the positives: the CGI was genuinely amazing. It successfully bestrode an intriguing middle ground between the cartoonish and something very, very close to photo-realism. From the waves on the ocean to the expressions on the...
Published 14 months ago by Theo

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant, 1 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn [DVD] (DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars All in all a rather splendid adventure for those proverbial children of all ages, 26 July 2013
Trevor Willsmer (London, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn is the first wholly MoCap animated feature where the technology's weird mixture of the photo-realistic and the cartoonish actually works completely, and works rather wonderfully. It's not just that the dead eyes that plagued earlier MoCap films have gone but that, rather than pointlessly inserting unconvincingly animated versions of real people in a fantastic environment, it uses it to faithfully recreate the characters from the comic albums as they would look in a three-dimensional environment. It's not just a case of wearing a blue sweater with a duck tuft hairstyle or putting on a big putty nose, beard and captain's outfit to approximate them, these really are Tintin and Captain Haddock, but with the benefit of fully fleshed out and surprisingly naturalistic performances courtesy of Jamie Bell and Andy Serkis. And it's not only Thomson and Thompson and Red Rackham who get the benefit, the film beginning with a fun cameo from Herge painting Tintin's portrait in the opening scene and wondering if he's painted him before some time.

But the technological leap would be mere window dressing if it was the only thing the film had going for it, but thankfully this is Steven Spielberg rediscovering the real sense of fun and adventure he had back in the heady days of Raiders of the Lost Ark. At times the frequently beautifully lit camerawork overdoes the swirling and swooping to highlight the original 3D as if he's having a bit too much fun with his new toy, but it's grounded by a solid screenplay with plenty of sly humour that only really runs out of steam in the last reel or so once the action leaves Africa (but then endings have often been a problem in many a Spielberg film). But along the way there are enough clever or exciting setpieces, from a chase seen from a dog's eye point-of-view to a rather excellent pirate battle, to forgive the anticlimax. All in all a rather splendid adventure for those proverbial children of all ages.

Plentiful extras in the form of a multi-part documentary on the Blu-ray release, which offers excellent picture and sound, but as usual DVD buyers are less lucky with just two featurettes from the longer documentary.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Adventures of Tin Tin, 12 Dec 2012
Wyndham Hibberd (Bridgend, South Wales) - See all my reviews
This DVD is brilliant. The animation is astonishing, which makes anything possible, and the characters are exactly true to the nostalgic Tin Tin as fans have known him for so many years. The real star of the film is Snowy, the dog. You cannot take your eyes off him.

5.0 out of 5 stars The worst post-viewing experience ever!, 9 April 2012
I'll explain my review title later, but first, a quick summary:

Animation 10/10:
Possibly the best animation I have ever seen. The facial expressions, character movement, and the motion of clothing to wind, rain / character movement are outstanding. The crisp details of each scene were wonderful, as were the light and shade effects. There are people who are better qualified to make more specific comments relating to rendering and contrast etc. so I will leave that them.

Action 10/10:
Lots of it, really fast and with lots to take in and gasp at, but greatly tempered with the important slower scenes, used to explain plot progression. Certainly this is where the DVD's 'replay' value shows, as there may have been things missed the first time around and, even then, it worth watching the scenes again to marvel at the interactions of the characters, creatures, their vehicles and the environment. To explain the action further might spoil the film for others, so I will leave it there.

Storyline 10/10
Although some reviewers on Amazon are not happy with the storyline, I really enjoyed it. Certainly I had guessed some of it, but certainly not all of it, and it could even be progressed further if a 'Tin Tin 2' is made. It is important to stress some reviewers have read the entire series of Tin Tin books, but my review is purely based on having read the comic strip versions of the series. In that sense, considering the style of the comic strips, the storyline is excellent.

Humour 10/10:
Sadly some negative reviews resort to insulting adults who liked the humour, by claiming 'It's childish and only a 3 / 6/ 12 year old would find it funny.' I for one, will lose no sleep at all at such comments, because they do seem to suggest, 'If I don't like it, then others who do, must be inferior to me.' and I believe you should respect others who don't have your personal tastes. If you don't like it, then is fair enough, score the film as 'low', explain your reasons, but leave it at that. Now, although I wasn't expecting the film to have that many comedic moments in it, I am so glad that it did. When they came, usually interspersed with the action scenes (but not always) I laughed out loud, as did my son. At 52 and 23 respectively, we were in tears and, yes, holding our sides. Again, I cannot specify these moments, as to do so would spoil the film, but if you love watching your family enjoying a film, then you cannot really go far wrong with Tin Tin.

That's my brief take on the film but, if they make a Tin Tin 2, 3 etc. to the same standard as this initial film, I will be in the queues to buy them. As to my review title, 'The worst post-viewing experience ever!', well I laughed so much during the film I had a coughing fit and pulled a couple of muscles around my ribs. I ended up with two days of aches and pains and box of paracetamol as my best friend but, to me, the film was definitely worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than expected!, 16 Oct 2013
Didn't see this at the cinema as the reviews didn't seem very good - but it's a great movie - and even better for also being in 3D.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Yarn, 10 Oct 2013
This movie is simply superb. Very well made and fast paced action from start to finish. Also very very nice to watch with vibrant colours everywhere. At this price you cannot go wrong. Buy it now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Tintin still good value, 26 Feb 2014
A well animated film, fun to watch and the kids loved it...a little Scepticle at first, however, proved wrong. For Tintin fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film, 18 Feb 2014
Jammyc (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
We all loved this film ... OK me more than the kids! Very clever how they make this films to cater for adults. Great humour, good storyline and amazing graphics! I ooh'd and woo'd through most of the film :)
Hope they make some more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent STEELBOOK, 17 Feb 2014
Very nice and good looking SB. One position for the disc, nice inside artwork. I am very satisfied with the purchase. Thanks and recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tin tin, 8 Feb 2014
When is the next one I wonder because I can't wait excellent animation the graphics and postures were amazing great story line,enjoyed very much

ARRAY(0xa6b2387c)