Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 July 2011
I first heard Ravi Shankar playing the sitar, the traditional Indian guitar, in Singapore in 1967, when the multiracial audience, many of whom had never heard Indian music before, gave him a standing ovation for the haunting lyricism of his melodies, and the wit with which he and his tabla player (drummer) invented complicated rhythms and challenged each other to copy then. His influence on the Beatles is famous. I heard him play again this year (2011) when he is just as inventive and musically agile despite being 90 years old. This CD is a good introduction to his music.
on 6 February 2012
This is a really great selection of Ravi Shankar's (and friends) music.Well worth buying and playing over and over.Enough said.
on 30 December 2012
An outstanding CD which as the Title says is the very best of Ravi Shankar. If you enjoy this type of music then this is a must
on 16 April 2013
I happened to hear some Sitar music recently, and learnt that with regret Ravi Shankar had passed away, and so I decided to seek out some of his work. I've always liked the Sitar, and found it's tones to be both relaxing and uplifting depending on the raga that is being played.

Shankar was probably to the Sitar what Jimi Hendrix was to the electric guitar, and so you are not going to be disappointed which any of his work, this included.

Pure Sitar playing at it's best; deep, and meaningful.
on 7 March 2012
I have been thinking about getting a CD of Indian Sitar music to play on my curry night for some time,I just wanted to create the right atmosphere for an authentic Indian dining experience. Well, I have found exactly the type of music I have been looking for, its mystical & beautiful & played sublimely by the wonderful Ravi Shankar.
on 11 June 2013
Soul- stirring music leading to tranquility and serenity. Very good background to meditation. Rooted in Indian classical tradition. Highly recommended.
on 17 July 2013
Love this set other than the 3rd cd- with it's japenese influence- sitar and flute isn't a viable combination as far as I'm concerned.

The sound quality of cd 1 and 2 is supurb as are all the other elements
cd 3 you can always hang in the garden to scare away the birds
on 10 February 2014
Brought this for my husband he loves the cd but it wasn't in cellophane and when he put it on it went straight to no 3 , hoping it wasn't second hand as it was brought as new !!
I would recommend the cd but check it is new !
on 7 January 2013
I have left out one star-which represents my own inadequacy to fully appreciate (what to me) is a completely new form of music. I need to play it a few more times to appreciate the full genius of the master. Not to mention his wonderful associates. The 5th star is therefore a formality waiting for the music to shine in my brain receptor areas.
on 9 May 2013
Excellent playing and excellent recording giving enormous pleasure.The sitar is a difficult instrument but Ravi Shanker makes it sing .His music making has overcome all national boundaries and has become an enchanting experience for mankind.