Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 August 2010
this is not a review or critique of this particualr album. rather advise if one is thinking of buying a 2cd arvo part compilation album. currently there are 2 cds on the market. 'the very best' by EMI and 'portrait' by NAXOS. both are worthy buys with excellent renditions. but which to buy? this is released to mark the composers 75th birthday. 'portrait' was released to celebrate parts 70th birthday.
if one prefers parts choral music to his orchestral, then this is the one to buy. on the other hand if you, like i, prefer his orchestral over his choral then id recommend 'portrait' by NAXOS.
both albums have choral and orchestral pieces but are weighed for one or the other as i have explained above.
either way you will be listening to the late 20th centurys finest classical composer with the most heartfelt music you will ever hear, connecting us to the divinity within us all.
22 comments|78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 March 2014
I have not considered buying an Arvo Part CD before because the only piece that I have ever heard by him has been his Spiegal im
Spiegal, which although is a beautiful piece, I found it personally a little repetitive. I then heard one of his other works on the
radio and was astonished by it's complexity and beautiful harmonies. I immediately purchased this CD from Amazon which was an
excellent price and contains many of his other works and found a new world of wonderful music. Highly recommended.
on 24 April 2013
It may sound strange but my hands go cold when I listen to this. When agitated my hands go warm . In other words, it is peace bringing to me. Christ centred music. Not like anything I have heard before but I ain't no expert. Well packaged .
I was led to Arvo Part via "My Heart Is In The Highlands" from the soundtrack of "The Great Beauty"; and it is a journey I am glad I started. The steady but simple "progressions" (if that is the correct term) are ones even I can follow and be involved in. The effect is of great beauty and great calmness.
on 13 May 2016
I bought this at the same time as buying Aheym (Kronos Quartet with Bryce Dressner) and find that we are playing it more. It has many of Arvo Part's iconic pieces with top artists spread over two CDs making it a pivotal addition to a modern music collection. It's serenity personified.
on 31 May 2013
When I downloaded The Very Best of Arvo Part I did not realise I would get such a diverse offering of soloists, groups, orchestras or conductors. Each track was beautifully played with the right choice of presenters.
on 14 March 2016
My introduction to Arvo Part's music, and what hauntingly beautiful music it is. The two versions of Fratres have mesmerised me, as has the deceptively simple Spiegel im Spiegel. Add to that some heavenly choirs and shimmering strings and you have the perfect antidote to the stresses and strains of our crazy, modern world.
on 15 October 2015
Words cannot describe adequately the sublime experience when hearing Arvo Part music. This album is marvellous and such fantastic value. Am thrilled with this purchase.
on 28 December 2015
Part is an acquired taste, which does take some getting used to. I wouldn't say I like all of his works, but have great respect for him as a composer. Arvo Part is a very complex man, with very complex musical ideas and style, which has great spiritual and intellectual roots. A wonderful composer, who was Saint Pope John Paul II's favourite living composer during the time of his reign as The Servant of the servants of God. A very devout man who, in perhaps a less immediately recognisable Catholic style, really helps the listener explore the depths of human emotion. Stick with it!
on 3 November 2015
An excellent selection of Arvo Part's unique music, performed by artists who really feel and understand his notes. Lie on your back in a drakened room and let the music sweep you.