5.0 out of 5 stars Zoom, Zoom!
Bought for wildlife photography and receiving a "baptism of dust" on safari in South Africa in mid-August, this lens has proven to be exceptional value for money. It survived the dust, the heat and the bumpy drives admirably and provided some wonderful photos.

Published on 15 Sept. 2010 by LMD

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Good lens
Published 27 days ago by Miss Anne Turner

5.0 out of 5 stars Zoom, Zoom!, 15 Sept. 2010
LMD (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sigma AF 150-500mm F/5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM telephoto zoom lens for Sony / Minolta A-Mount DSLR Cameras (Electronics)

Used with both a Minolta D7 and a Sony A350, I've found focusing to be quick for such a long lens and very quietly thanks to the HSM. Hunting was only a minor problem and even then only in particularly cluttered scenes or at particularly close ranges. Speaking of close ranges, this lens does a surprisingly good job of "close-ups", but it's not a replacement for a macro lens by any stretch of the imagination. Also bear in mind the imnpact of APS-sized digital camera sensors... both of the cameras I used have a 1.5x multiplier on focal length which mean this lens effectively becomes a 750mm maximum zoom.

The lens comes with two modes of optical image stabilisation; one for use with static subjects and the other for moving/panning shots. Using either with a Sony/Minolta body can produce "intersting results" if you forget to turn of the in-body anti-shake mechanism. Having tested all combinations, I've been reasonably impressed by the OIS included in the Sigma lens. The fact that it moves lens elements rather than the CCD means that the effects of OIS are immediately visible through the view-finder and can be quite disconcerting to begin with. It also means you have a little more confidence in the stabilisation because your subject isn't jittering about in the frame anywhere near as much. In use, ther's not much between the lens-based and body-based stabilisation technologies. If anything, I think the in-body mechanism gives marginally better results than the lens for static subjects while the lens-based stabilisation is slightly better for panning shots.

The maximum aperture is surprisingly large for such a long lens, and wide-open at 500m it does a wonderful job of losing all background detail. The images seem a little soft at maximum aperture but I think this varies between subjects and is only likely to become apparent at A4+ sized enlargements.

The lens comes with a nice, padded carry case and a strap that attaches to the tripod collar. The collar itself is a very handy addition providing much better balance of the lens on a tripod and, when rotated to 12 o'clock, serves as a great "handle" for the camera & lens. And make no mistake, it's good to have a reliable means of holding things as the pair combined will weigh about 2kg depending on the body you're using and, zoomed to 500mm it's quite a handful. The Zoom lock is handy, it's main use to stop the lens "zooming under it's own weight" while being carried. The OIS mode selector is conveniently located on the barrel close to the body for operation by your left thumb.

All things considered, this lens offers exceptional value for money. Having image stabilisation in the camera body meant that the OIS was less of a selling feature for me, but I still found it useful. The HSM works wonderfully well and is much quieter. But above all, it's the zoom range and quality of images that sell this lens. Highly recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Its a good Lens, 6 April 2011
Hi all, I have this lens for over a year.
The reach of the lens is great. I have a Canon 500D so the focal length is more like 240 to 800mm.
Its good for shooting things like the moon or birds or anything in the distance.
The autofocus is pretty good, it can search sometimes. It does a nice blur of the background (bokeh)when focusing on a nearer object.
There was a recall on the lens, my number was within the range. I never sent it back for checking as this was hassle. I have found the lens slightly soft but its hard for me to know whether this is the best the lens can do or if could actually be sharper. Its all quite relative. I have two L lenses and they are super sharp so maybe the comparison is unfair. You can get nice pictures from it, I have very good eyesight so I love sharpness.
The fact that its starts at 150mm is a disadvantage, I alway wonder would I have been better off with the 50-500mm Bigma. I think at the time I bought this before the new 50-500mm version came out. Thats a much more flexible range.
I personally don't find the lens too heavy to handhold. Its not too big either (that again is relative).
I found the collar annoying to screw onto a tripod. It is heavy on a tripod in terms of whether the tripod head can hold it up.
In summary I like my lens, its great to have such a long range (500mm).

5.0 out of 5 stars Real SuperZoom, 6 Sept. 2013
I bought this a month ago after much soul-searching about the cost. Cheaper than many alternatives it may be but still more than my Sony A580 bought last year and almost as much as my D7 plus super wide lens in 2005!
But enough of that, this is about the lens. And what a lens!

It is certainly heavy, and after the first real test at Clacton Airshow my arms noticed the difference compared to its predecessor (a 35mm version of the sigma 70-300. Absolutely no regrets though. The full zoom allowed me to follow even the smaller aircraft around the sky and achieve excellent action shots. BUT the best was undoubtedly the Red Arrows crossover at the far end of their loop. Two perfect aircraft at a distance of more than a mile.

The second test was the start of the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race. Standing on the foreshore, and with the help of a monopod, I have perfect shots of the yachts as they rounded the end of the pier at Southend - that's over a mile away. No need to embellish or enlarge the pictures in any way.

The autofocus is fast and smooth and the lens is a joy to use (apart from the weight). Twisting the zoom ring is a little cumbersome - especially with the grip in place, but otherwise absolutely no grumbles.

The lens comes with its own carry case, but it also fits longways into my Lowepro slingshot - with just enough room to squeeze the camera beside it wearing the 28-200 lens from Sigma.
I'm glad I convinced myself to go for this

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality lens, for resonable money, 29 Mar. 2011
M. Pateman "mpateman" (Swansea, Wales) - See all my reviews
I bought this lens from another retailer, and I am so pleased with it. This lens is weighty, but although it weighs just other a kilo, the HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) kicks in very quickly and is very accurate. The HSM system is nicely responsive, even with my elderly Nikon D40.
One recommendation: if you don't have one already for long-lens shots get yourself a monopod. It saves arm tiredness!

5.0 out of 5 stars This will not disappoint!, 20 Nov. 2014
Just to confirm, this lens does fit Sony Alpha cameras. What can I say?, this lens is amazing. I was very nervous as this is the most expensive item I have bought for my camera, I have been using a 300mm lens for some years, it has been a good companion for airshows, landscapes etc, but for my new hobby of identifying and taking pictures of wetland birds, no good. I have taken this out a few times now, and can't seem to get over how good it is. I am lucky to live near a creek which takes you around a golf course, great area to see the birds. When put together with your camera, it is a weight and size, but they have built in a handle, which not all lenses have, very useful, and makes life a little easier. Once attached to the camera, it is incredibly quick, the hand rotating distance wheel feels good quality and sturdy. This lens is a winner for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it! - teamed with Sony A58K, 16 Jun. 2014
Ordered this as I currently have an SAL75300 that wasn't quite getting me 'close enough' to the action, and tried this out at Thruxton race meeting over the weekend. It has to be said that this is a 'heavy' lens so if you are going to be using a lot you will either need very big arm muscles, or a tripod / monopod. As I'm not a muscle-man, the monopod was my option. It proved to be a very good lens zooming in and out very well. Autofocus hunted a little bit (but not so much that I missed any shots). The zoom itself was also quite heavy but you get used to it quickly. I have read some reviews where you lose image / light around the edges but I haven't seen this. There is also a warning that you can lose shutter speed with big lens, but again I didn't find this - even though the weather conditions were fairly overcast. Really like this lens!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as expected, 9 April 2014
Excellent mid priced lens, prefer photo quality to the more budget priced Tamron lenses, worth the extra money. Sadly cannot afford Sony super zoom so cannot compare. Use it with Hoya 86mm UV(O) Digital HMC Screw-in Filter. Have some great photos even at full zoom, including birds in flight using 10 images per second on tripod with video pan head. Lock option to prevent zoom is great & essential for carrying between shots.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Aug. 2014
Excelent lens. excelrnt for wildlife photography, sharp ,fast focus quite

5.0 out of 5 stars Sigma AF 150-500mm telephoto zoom for Sony, 22 May 2014
So far excellent very quiet focusing and has optical stabilization great for wildlife,Requires steady tripod to make best use of it

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Oct. 2014
Out standing so very pleased I brought it....