on 16 June 2013
It is a book which explains the doctrines of Christianity in a clear way. I recomend it to everyone who wants to have a clear perspective and a sound doctrine.
on 2 August 2010
I have a number of other books on theology, but this one differs from most in being totally readable. Every evangelical Christian should read this. It may not be perfect, but it is absolutely invaluable.
on 8 August 2010
Mark Driscoll and Gerry Breshears have written a very direct book on what Christians should believe. Each chapter is split up into handy sections, and each deal with a subsection of the overall chapter topic. Written in an accessible style, it is an excellent book for consolidating the importance of doctrine and gaining a fuller understanding of Christianity.
on 15 June 2010
I have been helped a good deal by Bro. Mark Driscoll in times past, and he is a sincere seeker of truth as far as I can see. So any negative comment I make should be viewed in that light. I also realize that most of the negative feedback I have received from this review is not because what I say is untrue, but simply because what I say is not popular. If I gave Mark Driscoll a glowing review I am sure my feedback would be almost 100% positive. Why am I saying this? Only because our search for truth cannot be based on what we like or what we want to hear but on facts. As James White, that champion of Reformed theology said in a recent debate: "All we have is history". Now if only he'd take that amazing brain of his and turn it on his own theology and see if Reformed theology stands up against the theology of the Church of the first 300 years after Christ.

To call the title of the book "What Christians Should Believe" is IMHO a bit presumptuous. Calvinism is one of many interpretations of the Bible and therefore I do not think Christians should blindly believe what brother Mark Driscoll teaches. We must be Bereans.

As far as I can ascertain Calvinism finds its roots in Augustine who was heavily influenced in his younger years by a form of Gnosticism. He was also influenced by a pagan by the name of Cicero. This is where he came up with his Christian Just War Theory. The Early Christian Fathers knew nothing of Christian Just War Theory, and were strongly opposed to Christian military involvement. Unfortunately this was a symptom of the Constantinian Hybrid of Church and State, which successfully adulterated and corrupted the pure doctrine of the Apostolic church. It is interesting to note that Luther was an Augustinian monk, and Calvin was heavily influenced by his writings.

The writings of the earliest Christians, those who knew and were taught by the Apostles, knew nothing of the interpretation put forward by Augustine on what predestination meant. They all taught that man chose to believe or to reject Christ, and that he also had the choice to remain faithful or to disobey and turn from God. Man's ability was of course dependant upon the power of God, but it was team-work -- Man co-operating with God.

So while this book may be helpful in some respects, it should be read with an open mind, while comparing it to Scripture and how the Early Church understood and applied those verses.

Here are a few books that share the message of Early Christianity and it's differences with modern Evangelicalism and Calvinism:

Will the Real Heretics Please Stand Up: A New Look at Today's Evangelical Church in the Light of Early Christianity

A Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs
on 21 August 2010
Essential reading for every Christian with clear and accesible explanations of just about every important doctrine. Only the odd minor quibble (eg about Creation being prepared before the six days of completion) and one or two illustrations which will in time date the book. Thoroughly recommended.
on 6 February 2014
Know others who are using this volume and have found it of great benefit
and I would agree personal to its usefulness.