on 23 September 2010
This is an excellent score. I particularly liked the Scottish twist to the music, with the echo of bagpipes and, particularly in track 23, the sound of a Scottish military marching band - but all bound up in a modern and effective soundtrack. The only downside that is the fact that it's a movie score can mean that the music stops, starts, and changes hurriedly (as is necessary). I'd certainly buy a symphonic treatment of this score if it were ever to be created. Well done John Powell.
on 26 May 2010
Absolutely fantastic soundtrack, the perfect music for this great movie!
Love to listen to it, even without the pictures!
on 23 April 2010
John Powell has crafted a stirring, emotional score for this terrific Dreamworks production. I'd recommend this to any fan of film scores.
on 17 September 2015
"Forbidden Friendship" gets me every time… Worth every penny for that alone. But HTTYD I and II are both simply first-rate, from start to finish. The highlight of the second film 's OST (apart from the stunning intro track) is "The Dancing and the Dreaming" (Stoic and Valka's dance).
on 30 October 2015
This is a great soundtrack, not quite Lord of the Rings great but still really good. I assume that most people buying this album are because they know the film and like it, for those of you who are interested I'd definitely recommend it.
on 23 January 2014
This is the best animated film that you could hope to see and the music goes a long way to making it so. The soundtrack to this film produces tears on a daily basis - I play it every day (yes, I'm that nuts on it) and every day it makes me cry with its rousing crescendos and intimate melodies. My favourite track - Test Drive is just thrilling and if you have seen the film, it is easy to imagine the swoops and turns of the ride as you listen. The music is an intriguing mixture of Scottish, Celtic, Arabian and Christmas all rolled into one - it doesn't get any better than this - if you don't believe me, test drive it for yourself!
on 23 August 2010
I agree with all the other 5star reviews. You will not find a better album of fantasy, animation music!
I could write all day about how much I love this score, but I'm gonna keep it short!
I am a huge fan of John Powell, and although I love most of his scores, this is a step above the rest. The film helps as well, allowing Powell to write long, flowing sections of music which grows and grows in enthusiasm and emotion.

Lets put it this way, I love this score so much I've ended up buying it twice, purchased the Digital download on the release date, and now I've purchased a physical copy too.

10/10, Quite possibly my favourite score of all time!
on 29 December 2010
The "How To Train Your Dragon" soundtrack is a delight from start to finish. John Powell has created a masterpiece of epic proportions for a distinctly average film. The track "Forbidden Friendship" is easily the best cue of 2010. Having worked on previous animated films such as Shrek, Chicken Run and Antz, he has saved his best for How To Train Your Dragon. Unlike some of his other scores (eg The Bourne Trilogy) which are heavy on electronics, this orchestral delight has Scottish infusions within truly majestic themes. A hidden gem and one of the finest 2010 has to offer.
on 28 March 2012
I loved John Powell's music while watching the DVD so decided to
get the soundtrack CD. It is now a firm favourite for all of our
household!

(And if you haven't seen the film yet, watch it - it's delightful!)
on 1 September 2011
Some may accuse Powell's score of being manipulative, but this is a thin criticism of a powerfully emotive score. Highlights include The Downed Dragon, an amazing cue that perfectly encapsulates the dwindling hope and begrudging acceptance of death through a haunting melody of despair and anguish, however, this mood is lifted by the atmospheric optimism of Forbidden Friendship, a theme that builds and builds, adding piece by piece to an amazing crescendo.

Cannot recommend this enough. John Powell has learnt much from Hans Zimmer, perhaps even besting him with a score full of such startling emotion and elegance.

Best tracks: The Downed Dragon, Forbidden Friendship, See You Tomorrow, Test Drive.