VINE VOICEon 7 June 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am SO impressed with this little hard drive. A more than useful 320gb gives you loads more storage than an average desktop or laptop out there.
All you have to do with this is plug the usb cable in and it's ready to use. No additional power supply is needed.

Hitachi have also solved an irritating little problem with desktop items, the base has 4 tiny 'feet' which keep the drive placed on most surfaces without sliding about. Great for on top of my desktop when the speakers are loud!

The Hitachi website also offers a 3 year factory warranty with this unit, and in the box are lots of further details should you need service on the item. Hitachi's own website also gives lots of info on the drive including tech help.

PC magazine also highly rate this, especially for it's use with windows 7 and xp. I find that handy from a near futureproofing perspective.

Oh, on the back of the box it states mac compatible as well. Finally, the black colour look good and it also feels very robust.

Well worth purchasing and at a very good price.
VINE VOICEon 26 May 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This product is exceedingly quick to set up - just plug and play. I did change my file system from FAT32 to NTFS (FAT32 has a file limit of 4GB per file, NTFS has no limit) using the instructions included on the drive (this took about an hour for a full format) - if you do this then don't forget to copy all the files that were included with the drive otherwise you will lose the instructions etc.
I have owned a fair few portable hard drives, and some look better than this (aesthetically speaking, although the undercarriage lights do look good when the drive is on), but this one is as good as more expensive drives for performance (which, let's face it is what you are after when looking for a hard drive)- it is quick to copy over files and there is no noticeable lag or drop or stutter when asking the drive to perform it's functions.
So, plus points - quick to setup, great performance, easy to understand instructions (if needed), handy size, pretty lights. Minus points - none whatsoever. Splendid.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 May 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Hitachi's X320 is a basic portable external USB 2.0 hard drives, with a single mini USB port at the rear to accommodates a double-headed (Y shaped) USB cable (supplied), which means that you can use it without a power cable (there is a DC slot but no power lead included). I like this, but the obvious downside to that is if you're using it on a system with limited available USB ports, you'll be even more cramped for expansion possibilities. You can't have it all ways though and it's horses for courses. Overall, for me, it's a positive - and after all you can easily get a cheap USB expansion unit if that's the case.

The base of the drive includes LED activity lights for those that like things that flicker. They're not capacity lights, however, just illumination. And they are underneath - so you cannot always see them clearly in operation. I'd have preferred them on the front or top - but that's a personal taste thing.

The drive comes pre-formatted in FAT32 for cross PC/Mac compatibility. There's not so much in the way of set up - you just plug it in and away you go. Couldn't be simpler really. It didn't install anything automatically - another positive - although there is a Flash-based demo file to take you through formatting the drive for Windows or Mac, as well as the optional install of the provided a backup utility.

USB 2.0 external hard drives always tend to operate in a relatively tight operating space when it comes to speed, largely governed by the transmission speed of USB 2.0 itself. If you need speed, then go for a USB 3.0 unit. But I found this worked perfectly well for me to back up media files from my laptop. Depending on what I was transferring, I got speeds of - at lowest 14.28 MB/s up to 34.6 MB/s - which is acceptable to good for a USB 2.0 device. I had a useable capacity of 298 GB. It's very quiet too.

Visually, it looks neat. It's small enough to be portable. It's a very competitive market space for external HDDs and this one is perfectly adequate without being particularly stand out in any way. Certainly, you can get one of these with confidence that it will do what it claims to do.
on 30 June 2010
As my laptop memory was being burnt up by my ever increasing Itunes library together with more video and photos, I decided not to risk continuing with the laptop memory and research a portable hard drive. Did the usual google stuff and found this Hitachi PHD. Best price on Amazon and free delivery too. It arrived about 5 days later and I very easily loaded it up. The unit was delivered with USB cable for pc connection. All you do is connect using the USB lead and off you go. Couldn't be easier. I have successfully loaded around 60GB of music, photos and video with much more to do. This unit is brilliant and is recognised as the D:\ on my laptop. So if you do not want to risk storage of precious music and images, invest in this excellent portable hard drive.
on 25 September 2010
Great product. Just Plug and play. It was immediately recognised by my computer. I have Windows 7 which has automatic back-up. Reformated to NTFS which gives 298GB and just use the built in automatic back-up on a daily basis. My fist full back-up used 66GB
Only minus as has been mentioned by others, is the very short USB lead. It is probably OK with a lap-top but with a desk top system it can be difficult. Fortunately I am able to place it on the shelf beside the modem.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have happily used a Western Digital 250GB portable HD for the last couple of years. I'd never had any problem with it until I stupidly started wrapping the cable tightly around the drive. This screwed the connector and it now only works by blue-tacking the cable at an un-natural angle.

This replacement from Hitachi certainly looks the part. It's sleek, matt back and has cool "landing lights" that flash on the bottom under it's "curve". This looks great if you're using the drive in a fairly low-light environment.

Ease of setting-up? There ain't any setting up. It's easy-peasy, lemon squeezy. I just plugged it into the USB port of my W7 laptop and the drive was recognised within seconds. I then transferred 10GB of photos from a pen drive and this took around four minutes, which was brilliant. A lot faster than I'm used to.

A well-made drive from a name you can trust and like the Hitachi train, it flies!

Highly recommended.
on 8 February 2011
Arrived well packaged and in good time, plugged it into my laptop easy set up and off i went backing up my files. This is the 1st time ive used an external hard drive and found it very easy to use.
It looks good and the cable provided is plenty for the laptop. Great product
on 20 November 2010
Compact,build quality seems ok, easy to install, easy to use and does what it said in the product description without any problems after 3 months use.
on 31 March 2011
Bought this external hard drive thanks to fellow reviewers. It is great - easy to install and operae and solved my problems with slow PC. Would recomend highly to fellow non-geeks!
on 6 August 2011
Drive is very small and lightweight, but has a quality feel about it. The usb connection with no separate power feed makes it very easy to plug in and use straight away, but if you want a single plug usb lead you have to buy your own. The one supplied is a double usb just in case your supply is short of power.

I can't comment on the software provided because I formatted the disc before use and forgot to back it up first!