on 7 April 2010
Elizabeth Moon returns to the world and time of The Deed of Paksenarrion - in fact, covering events immediately following the end of Oath of Gold. But the focus is different (though Paksenarrion is a recurring character), on Dorrin, a captain of Duke Kieri Phelan, who is a self-exiled member of the Verrakai family, deeply involved in the treacherous attack on the Duke foiled at the end of Oath of Gold. The soon-to-be king of Tsaia chooses Dorrin to be the new Duke Verrakai, as the only adult of the family unlikely to be tainted with treachery and evil. We follow three slowly intertwining stories: the Duke's adjustment to his new role as king of Lyonya; his company's adjustment to his departure, involving several characters familiar from Sheepherder's Daughter, one of whom, Arcolin, takes over the company; and Dorrin's return to her home and dealing with her family, using her awakening magical power. She uncovers great evil, but also a mysterious crown hidden away, that wants her to don it ... While it takes a little while to get into (the first chapters refer to the events at the end of Oath of Gold, from Paksennarrion's self-sacrifice to free the Duke onwards, but from different perspectives and not in overmuch detail), and the switching from story to story might be irritating to some, the content is as good as before, with as much action, mystery, and magic as could be hoped for. I do not think Elizabeth Moon has lost her touch, and look forward to more.
on 5 March 2010
A fantastic read, I enjoyed the book thoroughly. The book led me on a long awaited line, and it really fleshed out an already fantastic story. I look forward to reading more, as the book left me very hungry for me.

The negative has to be if you haven't read the first trilogy you'll be rather confused with the story, and I would most definitely recommend reading them first.
on 15 March 2010
Follows on well from the previous trilogy and fleshes out the characters of Dorrin and Arcolin nicely. It did seem to start off a bit slowly, but still enjoyably and I was sorry it was ending by the time I got there. Having said that I still prefer the first trilogy - which kept to a single thread for the most part, whereas this is split into three sub plots - but maybe this one will get better in the next books.

I am a bit uneasy about the magery aspect, as it harks back to Liar's Oath which I did not enjoy, and also has similarities to Bujold's Hallowed Hunt which only grew on me after several re-readings. All said an done it's still a return to form and better than her space operas - even though I do like a good space opera.

I enjoyed it and will definitely buy the next ones in the series and expect to enjoy them - in fact I can't wait!
on 3 November 2013
It is great that Elizabeth Moon is back writing a continuation to the first series. First I though it a disappointment that there was so little about Paksenarrion, but the story functions well anyway.
on 30 November 2012
Well written with the great attention to detail that has become Lizzie Moon's trademark. Complex story and credible characters, b ut who chose such a small typeface? I go to bed with eye-ache after only a couple of pages.
on 10 August 2010
I believe the author is going for a second trilogy based on the Paks trilogy. This first book of the new trilogy deals with three threads from the old series - Keiri Phelan, now king of Lyonya; Jandelir Arcolin, former senior captain of the Duke's Company and now effectively "owner" of that Company; and Dorrin Verrakai, former captain of one of the Duke's cohorts and now Duke Verrakai, despite the fact that SHE is a woman !!

This book sets the stage for an impending war in Lyonya, an ancient mystery for Duke Verrakai and the Court of Tsaia and an outlaw-riddled Southlands for Arcolin to deal with. However, the book ends rather abruptly with all three threads hanging; which is a rather unsubtle reminder that this is the first of a trilogy and there's more to come. It is definitely not a stand-alone book !!
44 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 June 2010
I read the Deed of Paksonarrion series many years ago and really enjoyed it. This book takes up the story after the storyline in the Oath Of Gold. The author's writing has lost nothing in the years since her last Paksenarrion novel, all the old characters are back,with some 'supporting' characters now being developed in their own right.

For those who loved the original novels and those who just want a great escapist read, I cannot recommend this book too highly.
on 25 March 2012
I bought the 3 Kindle books of Paladin's Legacy and sat and read them all the same day! I know - didnt get much else done. Am now waiting for the next one to come along. I like this writer anyway and have most of her books so was happy to find I was not let down. Good to meet up with Paks again, if not in s starring role and to reacguaint myself with some of her colleagues along with a host of new characters, some nice - some odd - some nasty. A good read - not too much violence - just enough and a nice story line.
on 20 July 2013
A really good sequel to Paksennarion...I cannot wait to continue reading book two. The characters are well developed and interesting, with an unpredictability that keeps the reader wanting to read all in one go!!
on 25 April 2010
After a long wait to see the continuation of the world of Paks I was not disappointed. The story was well written and brought me back to the charecters of the first series. I can't wait for the next volume to see how things continue.