5.0 out of 5 stars Best book so far I think
This is the 5th book in Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. Mechanic and coyote skinwalker Mercy Thompson is used to getting in trouble with bigger, badder supernaturals than herself. She lives next door to, and dates, local alpha werewolf Adam Hauptman, works with a Fae and is friends with a vampire. She knows how dangerous the Fae can be, she's met with two of...
Published on 28 Mar 2010 by Claire Mill

3.0 out of 5 stars A shift towards shifter romance
I have to admit that this is the book that I have enjoyed least out of all the books by Patricia Briggs that I have read. Maybe it is because I am judging her by her usual high standard, but I was disappointed.

This book seems to concentrate mainly on the love lives of the major characters, with the peril and problem acting mainly as a framing device for a long...
Published 19 months ago by Alexa

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than Bone Crossed, 3 Sep 2010
This review is from: Silver Borne (Paperback)
I'm a really huge fan of the Mercedes Thompson books, so rushed to buy this book as soon as I knew it was out.

I haven't read any other of Patricia Briggs' books, other than the Alpha and Omega books, which, in my opinion, pale in comparison.

Mercy Thompson is a tough car mechanic who also happens to be a coyote shape shifter. This is book five in her series and she has developed from being a single woman with few responsibilities, to mate of the scrumptious Adam, the local pack's alpha.

I found 'Bone Crossed' the last book in the series a little disappointing, so I was delighted to be back on familiar ground with this one.

This time it's Mercy's connections to the fae and not the vampires that gets her into trouble. But, for me this book was more about Mercy's relationships. With Adam, with Sam, with Adam's daughter Jesse, and with the pack, than the main story, entertaining as it is.

This book moves Mercy and Adam's relationship on, exploring the implications of their mating and handling the inevitable ramifications of Mercy's rape, but also shows you some wonderfully tender moments between the two as they grow closer.

However, something I particularly enjoyed in the book was learning more about Sam. While I was desperate for Mercy and Adam to get together at the end of 'Iron Kissed'. I love Sam and would hate to see him written out of the series. The interaction between Sam and Mercy is fantastically entertaining and written with ease and wit. Mercy's relationship with Sam is as important as her one with Adam, so it was interesting to see how this is going to move on now that she is mated.

'Silver Borne' gives you an insight into both Sam's history, but also a glimpse of his potential future.

As with the rest of the series, this book was a thoroughly entertaining read and there were times when I could barely put it down, the pages whirling past in a blur. Driven by the NEED to know what is going to happen next. The action jumps out and grabs hold of you, and the characters are superbly written. Mercy is feisty, determined and brave and you can't help but admire her. This series will continue to have pride of position on my bookshelves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mercy Thompson book 5, 30 Aug 2010
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Silver Borne (Paperback)
When Mercy gets a message asking her to look after a fae book that she had previously borrowed she is curious about what has happened to it's owner. Then she finds herself being targeted by a mysterious fae who is not only after her but also targeting Adam and her pack but what does this have to do with the book? To make matters worse Samuel, who's depression has been worsening over the months, has taken a turn for the worse. For survival Samuel's wolf has taken control but that makes him dangerous - and marks him for death if Adam and the Marrock find out. Can Mercy help Samuel regain control before the other werewolves find out what has happened and what does the powerful fae want with the book?

Although this review won't contain spoilers for Silver Borne as this is book 5 in the Mercy Thompson series it will be impossible to review without giving spoilers for previous books in the series. If you haven't read the rest of the series then I wouldn't recommend reading any further but I would suggest you check out Moon Called as this is one of my favorite urban fantasy series and Mercy is definitely one of my favorite heroines!

Anyone who has read any of the books in this series will already know that Mercy has a knack for drawing attention of the supernatural races who are more powerful than she is. She may be a Walker (a shifter who can turn into a Coyote) but her powers are limited - especially when compared to the werewolves or fae. Having come up against the fae before she is understandably wary when she finds herself being targeted again but she is determined to protect her friends and find out what is going on.

My favorite part of this book has to be the interaction between Adam & Mercy, I just love them both as a couple & it is nice to watch their relationship develop since their mating in the last book. There are some really sweet, emotional scenes between the two of them and if anything I now love Adam even more. We get to see a more vulnerable side to him in this installment but he is still all alpha male. Mercy is still trying to get used to the pack bonds and most of the pack still aren't happy that she is now one of them. I enjoyed finding out more about the pack politics and seeing Mercy learn how to deal with this new bond and the werewolves who are against her.

Samuel has been one of my favorite characters ever since we first met him and although I didn't want him & Mercy to end up together, I do want to see him have his own happy ending. I felt so sad for him in the last book as you could see how badly he was feeling but parts of this book had my heart breaking for him. As an old wolf he has lived too long and has started to give up on life. Mercy loves him and wants to protect him but when his wolf takes control she is very worried about what could happen. Having a wolf in control is a very dangerous thing for both the wolf and for everyone surrounding him - if the Marrock finds out what has happened he will have no choice other than killing Samuel. If I had one slight complaint about this story it would be that things with Samuel tied up a little too easily but I'm hoping we will get to explore more about what happens with him in the next book.

If you're a fan of this series then I'm sure Silver Borne won't disappoint, it is one of my favorite books in the series. I enjoyed the action and mystery surrounding the fae artifact but for me it was the relationship development between the characters that made the story. If you haven't read this series yet then I can't recommend it strongly enough. It's going to be a long wait until River Marked but I'm looking forward to getting stuck into the Alpha and Omega series in the meantime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read!!!, 8 Aug 2010
This review is from: Silver Borne (Paperback)
I eagerly looked forward to reading Patricia Briggs latest edition to the Mercy Thompson series. I was not disappointed. I loved Silver Borne as I have love all the books. Silver Borne let us look deeper into the world of the werewolf. I learnt more about the relationship between Adam and Mercy, how much Adam has come to depend on Mercy and how she is slowly coming to terms with the tragedy that took place in Iron Kissed.
My only regret with the book was that the situation with Sam seemed a little under played...hopeful there will be more of him in Patricia Briggs next book...which I'm counting the weeks to buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mercy grows up, 23 Jun 2010
This review is from: Silver Borne (Paperback)
I have read all the Mercy Thompson books to date and have to say this one has now become my favourite. In my opinion, Mercy gets more of a clue of what's going on for others around her. I thoroughly recommend it to followers of the story but it is not a stand alone. It needs to be read in the correct order. An absorbing read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lone wolves and pack, 17 May 2010
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Silver Borne (Paperback)
Mercy Thompson may be a werecoyote, but her entire life has been tied to the werewolves around her -- and now she's a part of Adam's pack.

So of course, she starts experiencing some major trouble in "Silver Borne," the fifth book about a mechanic with a knack for getting into supernatural trouble. Patricia Briggs deftly weaves together werewolf pack problems with a fae hunt for a mysterious book, while also turning her focus to Mercy's troubles with the pack, and Samuel's inner turmoil. It's a bit scattered at times, but still brilliant.

After a disastrous date with Adam, Mercy learns that Samuel has tried to kill himself -- and the only thing that saved him was his inner wolf, who is now in control of his mind and body. Whenever that happens it leads to madness and death, and the Marrok will kill his own son if he finds out. To make matters worse, she's faced with subtle magical sabotage from the wolf pack, and a TV bounty hunter shows up in town gunning for werewolves.

But Mercy's biggest problem is that the fae are trying to kill her, so they can get their hands on a mysterious book called the Silver Borne, which has been entrusted to her -- and then they capture a young friend of hers as a hostage. As she struggles to save Samuel from his hopelessness and the pack from internal strife, Mercy will have to take on a fairy queen who wants the Silver Borne for herself. But she has some allies who aren't about to just give in...

"Silver Borne" isn't quite as even as the last few Mercy Thompson books, mainly because Briggs swings between pack politics and the whole fae book disaster, spending a little too long on each for long periods (come on! There's a hostage! This is no time to infight!). But that unevenness isn't enough to stop it from being the sort of urban fantasy that Briggs writes best -- bloody, grimy, but with plenty of heart and passion at its core.

Briggs' prose is as solid as her storyline -- lean and muscular ("he was a tall, sleek warrior with skin dark as wet bark. Sunlight tinted his hair gold"), with moments of humor (Sam as a "pony"), and some wonderfully tense fight scenes spattered with blood and magic. And compared to many authors, she juggles the werewolf politics and fae plotting very smoothly, never letting the plots drift too far from the "real world" of reality TV, broken-down cars and trailers in the desert.

And as usual, Mercy has a lot on her plate in this book -- she finds out that joining the pack won't make all the people in it accept her (some are even plotting against her!), and finds that even people she knows well might turn their backs because of the danger that follows her. And her new relationship with Adam hits its first road bump, which Briggs handles with just the right mixture of passion, bickering and heartfelt love. And most of the fae and werewolves are nicely fleshed out, although I seriously miss Stefan.

But the most striking Samuel's personal issues finally hit the breaking point -- he no longer wants to live because he has nothing to live for, and his inner wolf "Sam" emerges for much of the book. Briggs doesn't shy away from this thorny, painful issue, and she handles it very well.

"Silver Borne" is a bit more back-and-forth than some of Briggs' other Mercy Thompson books, but it's still a solid, beautifully written urban fantasy with plenty of heart. A must-read for werewolf fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book, 16 May 2010
M. J. Mcnicholas "Rainbow moon" (london,uk) - See all my reviews
I eagerly looked forward to Patricia Briggs latest edition to the Mercy Thompson series. I was not disappointed. I loved Silver Borne as I have love all the books. Silver Borne let us look deeper into the world of the werewolf. I learnt more about the relationship between Adam and Mercy, how much Adam has come to depend on Mercy and how she is slowly coming to terms with the tragedy that took place in Iron Kissed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Patty's Mercy is top, 9 May 2010
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Silver Borne (Paperback)
Having been a bit disappointed with Patricia's Alpha and Omega series I was really happy to find that the new title in the Mercy Thompson series was the author back on form for my own personal tastes. The writing was great with Mercy learning to adapt to her new responsibilities as well as discovering a new foe in the shadows. Cracking mystery, as well as great inter-character personal emotional conflict backed up with dialogue that feels that it was written with no real effort on the author's part, as if the characters had spoken directly to her mind. A real treat for any reader of the Urban Fantasy genre.

4.0 out of 5 stars Supernatural beings makes for great reading, 2 May 2010
This review is from: Silver Borne (Paperback)
I'm a big fan of Mercy, the shap-shifting mechanic and the other regular characters in this series: among them, Adam, the Alpha wolf in the local werewolf pack and Samuel, a doctor and the ancient werewolf son of the Chief American werewolf. The setting, America trying to come to terms with the fact that there really are supernatural beings living next door, is well realized and clever.

This latest installment sees the fey trying to gain possession of an ancient artifact of power which belongs to Mercedes friend Finn, who has been kidnapped and tortured to reveal its whereabouts: naturally, Mercedes has it. She has to rescue Finn, hide the artifact and try to save Samuel who has lost his will to live. Lots of werewolf politics, evil fey and derry doing. Since you wouldn't buy this book unless you were willing to suspend belief, you'll find it well worth the time. Patricia Briggs writes beautifully!

5.0 out of 5 stars Patricia Briggs has done it again!, 28 April 2010
This review is from: Silver Borne (Paperback)
This review is near to completely spoiler-free for the book Silver Borne in itself, beyond what the "blurb" already has told you. Spoilers for the rest of the series is reserved to veiled references to the events of book #3, Iron Kissed, and a line that gives away which of the guys Mercy finally ended up with in another book.

I've been a fan of Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series ever since I read the first book, Moon Called, a few years ago. Urban fantasy is a genre I generally avoid, as it has not made a very good impression on me.

This is not in the least the case with Briggs' series. She has succeeded in creating some great characters, who inhabit a fascinating world were all kinds of supernatural creatures are "out" among the humans to various degrees. Her plots are all quite strong, but what really drives these books are the incredibly well-written character interactions. One gets the impression that these are real people one is reading about, each with their own set of troubles and vices. She's an excellent character-writer!

Now, for this book specifically. I must confess I found book #4, Bone Crossed, a big disappointment. I did not find the plot intriguing in the least, but I was still loyal enough to keep buying the series. I don't regret that decision at all, for #5, Silver Borne, is my favourite in the series!

Positive:

The repercussions of the events that happened at the end of book #3, Iron Kissed, are still handled very tastefully, and kudos to Briggs for that!

The workings of pack bonds are expanded upon, and it makes a quite fascinating read. I found the parts pertaining to pack politics the most interesting in the whole book.

Samuel gets some wonderful character-development, and I'm very pleased with how his story-arch has played out. Briggs has handled his part of the love-triangle very well, so well in fact that it was barely touched upon after it was resolved in the last book. Now it looks like he might get another opportunity at love, and since I never was a fan of Mercy/Samuel but still like Samuel this seems great to me.

I'm also pleased at the attention Briggs gives Ben, who I've actively liked since Blood Bound (#2) and found interesting already in Moon Called (#1). Now he seems to be one of the most important minor characters, and in my opinion he's utterly lovable beneath his off-putting manner.

Negative:

Conversely, she ignored Stefan completely in this book, but I'm not the greatest fan of vampires anyway. Instead, she has focussed more on the fae, though not as much as in Iron Kissed. This is a point in her disfavour in my mind, but others might enjoy it.

To me, the most negative aspect of this book is the confrontation with this book's "big bad", which felt like something of a let down. I thought what actually happened in a rather crucial scene was poorly explained, and part of what Mercy went through in this book reminded me of the end of Iron Kissed though it was nowhere near as bad. I simply found it too repetitive). It did not significantly alter my reading experience of this book though, it was brilliant! I wish it was longer, as I finished it only a few hours after it arrived with the post:(

tl:dr: Patricia Briggs has done it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Could NOT put it down!, 12 April 2010
This review is from: Silver Borne (Paperback)
I had been looking forward to this book for what seems like an eternity and I wasn't disappointed!
I must agree with everyone else and say that this was my favourite book of the series, I loved the way Mercy has finally gotten over her demons and is able to let Adam close. I love how their relationship has developed so slowly and gotten finally so very deep.
Mercy is one my all time favorite characters ever, I loved her since the first book and more i read about her the more I can't stop! I can't wait for the next one and I hope so badly that there would be loads of more Mercy books on their way. I cannot imagine the heartache if and when this series comes to an end....